Maths
English
English Literature
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Philosophy and Ethics

I need to choose 4 more:

1 Computer Science (Definite 60% coursework) I'm good at it and enjoy it.
2 History (Definite 50% Coursework) I'm good at it and enjoy it.
3 Drama (Definite 60% Coursework) I'm Ok with it but 50% of pupils get an A* or A.
4 Geography (25% coursework) OR DT Electronics (60% Coursework)

Any thoughts? and should I take Geography or Electronics?

What's easier to get an A grade.

Does the course work for Electronics take up a lot of time?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by patelpatel
Please help!

I have to make my options by this week and I'm stuck.c

Compulsory:
Maths
English
English Literature
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Philosophy and Ethics

I need to choose 4 more:

3 Drama (Definite 60% Coursework) I'm Ok with it but 50% of pupils get an A* or A.

Thanks

Are you sure these are the right specifications for your course. I am under the impression that all major examination boards have renounced controlled assessment/coursework now. The year 10 pupils who started in September 2014, where the last year. Maybe I am wrong, but that seems wrong. My history controlled assessment and geography where only 25% each.
Reply 2
My sons teacher did say that these were the percentages last year and they may change.

Have you got any experience of Geography or Electronics GCSE?
I'm currently doing Electronics GCSE and the coursework doesn't take that long to be honest, I just spent too long talking:/ The real problem with it is the exam, literally the hardest subject I have ever done, my course work is at a high B or A grade and I did a practice paper and got an F and I'm supposedly the best in my class of 30.
It's a really fun subject though and I don't regret taking it at all but it is a really difficult subject so make sure you'll have a good teacher and start revising as soon as possible, we're doing all our course work first with minimal revision and now it's 2 months till the exam and I am screeewed
BTW I have friends who take Geography and many of them say its really boring but if it's a subject you enjoy already then I suppose you won't think that
Take Drama and Geography
Easy As
I do geography GCSE and it's great. The coursework was worth 25% and took up a lot of time (but that was just my school's fault). I do enjoy it but with AQA there's about 30 case studies you need to learn and you need to know at least 5 facts for each- 150 facts, and that's just for the case studies. I still enjoy it though.

Unfortunately I don't have experience of History GCSE and you shouldn't listen to me saying this because this is absolutely the wrong reason to take a subject but I can't help wishing that I did History instead - to me, it just looks better.

Do what you enjoy most - that's what you'll do well in. If you really enjoy Computer Science and History then definitely do them. Good luck.
Reply 6
Original post by patelpatel
Please help!

I have to make my options by this week and I'm stuck.c

Compulsory:
Maths
English
English Literature
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Philosophy and Ethics

I need to choose 4 more:

Thanks

You have to remember Computer Science is not ICT. Yes part of the theory is the same as ICT but all of the controlled assessments are coding and some of the theory is stuff to do with that (logic gates/algorithm writing etc.). Just because there's lots of coursework doesn't mean it's easy. Computing controlled assessments are worth 40 total hours of work, and that's not including learning the code (which can take a month or two).

History is good. I think they changed the amount of coursework on that, even so that's not easy either. Mine was three long essays about Vietnam. The coursework typically takes up to 5 months from start to finish.

If you want to do Drama, go for it!

The coursework will take up a long time for electronics, but so will Geography. I would pick Geography, but if you have an interest in electronics take that. Geography isn't too hard, electronics could be.
I would do Geography because your definite subjects are already very coursework based and you'll be juggling between them, so to add Electronics would probably add double the stress than Geography would in terms of coursework.

Quick Reply

Latest