The Student Room Group

Most Overrated Footballers

Scroll to see replies

Scholes is a mysterious one. He isn't as good as half the united fans make him out to be but he was still a very good player. As Jam said before he went from being underrated to overrated.
Messi & Ronaldo aren't really overrated, they've been the best 2 in the world for a few years now, it's impossible for them to be rated higher than their level.
Original post by TornadoGR4
To get the ball rolling, I'll put Ibrahimovic out there. Granted, he's a brilliant player, and he scored that stunning goal against England. But I just get bored of hearing about his antics and this #DareToZlatan nonsense.

And to a lesser extent, Januzaj, but I put this down to not being nurtured properly by Van Gaal & not fitting their system very well.

Jack Wilshire
Rooney
Stevie G
Glen Johnson
Any england international who plays for Arsenal or Liverpool with Rooney

Lower Leagues
Anyone in the current Fulham Team
Darren Randolph
Demari Gray
Anyone in Wigans team
Original post by DarrenBCFC
Anyone in Wigans team

Who is there to rate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jack Wilshire
Rooney
Stevie G
Glen Johnson

Lower Leagues
Darren Randolph
Demari Gray
Anyone in Wigans team

Not only am I sensing a bias against Liverpool and Arsenal, but I will suggest that Wigan/Fulham aren't being overrated, considering no-one actually rates them at all.
Reply 185
Jack Wilshire
Rooney
Stevie G
Glen Johnson

Lower Leagues
Darren Randolph
Demari Gray
Anyone in Wigans team

No one really rates Gerrard that highly anymore do they? 6-12 years ago he was one of the best centre midfielders in the world when he was playing for Liverpool and then he look rejuvenated last season but he's certainly not a patch on the player he was. Does anyone actually rate glen Johnson outside of Woy? He's already shown how strange his views on football are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
he won the Euro Cup and FA Cup for Liverpool, NOT overrated.

but Robbie Fowler was, and players like Joe Hart, Jagiekla, Eriksen are. And Henderson and Hazard. Kane deserves BOTH player of the year awards, not Hazard.

And Martin O'Neill is an overrated manager. He's never won anything with a big club in a major league.
Original post by Vondas
Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi. How these players are considered the best players of all time is beyond me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
the media say that.

two of the best ever, but all-time still Pele and Diego....Messi hasn't won a WC yet, Diego has...
Original post by miguapa
he won the Euro Cup and FA Cup for Liverpool, NOT overrated.

but Robbie Fowler was, and players like Joe Hart, Jagiekla, Eriksen are. And Henderson and Hazard. Kane deserves BOTH player of the year awards, not Hazard.

And Martin O'Neill is an overrated manager. He's never won anything with a big club in a major league.

Great banter.
Original post by Arkasia
Not only am I sensing a bias against Liverpool and Arsenal, but I will suggest that Wigan/Fulham aren't being overrated, considering no-one actually rates them at all.

With a team with Brian Ruiz and McCormack in they should really score more goals and for Wigan they thought they would stroll into the playoffs again so I would actually rather have Millwall stop up and have wigan or fulham go down
With a team with Brian Ruiz and McCormack in they should really score more goals and for Wigan they thought they would stroll into the playoffs again so I would actually rather have Millwall stop up and have wigan or fulham go down

Ugh Millwall are one of the scummiest teams I can remember watching, and their fans are a bunch of orcs. A poor man's Stoke.
Original post by Arkasia
Ugh Millwall are one of the scummiest teams I can remember watching, and their fans are a bunch of orcs. A poor man's Stoke.

Millwall fans have always seemed down to earth from what i have experienced but teams like reading, and Luton have scummy fans in my opinion
Original post by Malevolent
Scholes is a mysterious one. He isn't as good as half the united fans make him out to be but he was still a very good player. As Jam said before he went from being underrated to overrated.

At his best he was capable of holding hos own against against any of the worlds best players, a fantastic range of passing, great composure on the ball, and always a threat from the edge of the area.

Let's look at what a number of other professionals have said about him:

Xavi - For me and I really mean this he's the best central midfielder I've seen in the last 15, 20 years.

Zinedine Zidane - My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder. Scholes is undoubtedly the greatest midfielder of his generation.

Marcello Lippi - Paul Scholes would have been one of my first choices for putting together a great team that goes to show how highly I have always rated him.

Edgar Davids - Everyone of us should emulate him. We can all learn from Paul Scholes.

Cesc Fabregas - For any football player in the Premiership, Scholes is a player you want to emulate.

Leaving out quotes from any former Manchester United player or staff member.

Overrated? I think not.
Original post by mackemforever
At his best he was capable of holding hos own against against any of the worlds best players, a fantastic range of passing, great composure on the ball, and always a threat from the edge of the area.

Let's look at what a number of other professionals have said about him:

Xavi - For me and I really mean this he's the best central midfielder I've seen in the last 15, 20 years.

Zinedine Zidane - My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder. Scholes is undoubtedly the greatest midfielder of his generation.

Marcello Lippi - Paul Scholes would have been one of my first choices for putting together a great team that goes to show how highly I have always rated him.

Edgar Davids - Everyone of us should emulate him. We can all learn from Paul Scholes.

Cesc Fabregas - For any football player in the Premiership, Scholes is a player you want to emulate.

Leaving out quotes from any former Manchester United player or staff member.

Overrated? I think not.

Original post by miguapa
the media say that.

two of the best ever, but all-time still Pele and Diego....Messi hasn't won a WC yet, Diego has...

How on earth is whether or not they've won the World Cup relevant?

The World Cup isn't won by a single player, it's won by a team. If a great player happens to be from a country that is weak overall then obviously they're never going to win the World Cup, doesn't stop them being a great player though.

Maradonna won the World Cup playing for a nation that at the time were one of the strongest in the world, they were expected to be challenging for the World Cup when he was playing for them because overall they were a good side.

Messi is playing for them at a time when overall they are relatively weak compared to other top nations, so of course they're not going to be challenging for the World Cup. He's still an amazing player regardless.

Let's say for the sake of argument that Real Madrid signed an 18 year old striker from Canada who went on to make 500 appearances for the club and averaged one goal per game throughout that time. Would the fact that he's Canadian and therefore never going to challenge for any international honours stop him being a fantastic player?
Original post by The Shed End
Great banter.

Great mindblindedness.
Original post by miguapa
Great mindblindedness.

How? How is Hazard not deserving of either award?
Ashley Young. How LVG didn't sell him or put him on loan I don't know.
Reply 198
Neymar
Iker Casillas, just lucky that he always has a solid defence in front of him

Quick Reply

Latest