The Student Room Group

QTS Skills Test 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Feryal
Many thanks for your quick response. It seems the same spelling group that came up in my last test and where I missed the pass by two marks just because I have never come across some words! Especially that English is not my first language!
Wish you the best of luck

Not a problem!
Yes I know, I failed by just two marks aswell.
Hopefullt you will do well next time and pass! Just keep practicing and go in with a positive attitude :smile: Best of luck
Reply 181
Original post by Feryal
Many thanks for your quick response. It seems the same spelling group that came up in my last test and where I missed the pass by two marks just because I have never come across some words! Especially that English is not my first language!
Wish you the best of luck

I had these spellings too! I had never heard of them either so glad it's not just me lol.
Reply 182
Final attempt at literacy and I passed!
I have awful spelling but only thing that got me through was Stevens super list on creative learning, every word that was on the test was on the list!
The words I can remember were
Stationary
deterrent
Governmentally
Environmentally
Stringent
Commensurate

Also the rule of never using could of, should of or would of really helped. Always use could have, should have or would have.
Also the rule of either me or I was in every test, easiest way I found was if u r doing the action it is "I" and I always comes at the end. For example the head teacher, governors and I.
My comprehension was a lot easier this time it was on learning mentors and it had no supported and contradicted questions!
Hope this helps!
Had my numeracy skills test today.
I honestly thought I failed it but to my surprise I passed! First attempt :biggrin: I found it a lot more difficult than the practice tests, but maybe it was just my nerves that had kicked in. I honestly don't know how I passed! Oh well, I'm not complaining :wink: thanks to everyone for their tips. Glad to see the back of it :smile:

If anyone has any questions regarding the numeracy test then please feel free to ask.
Other experiences & tips:

- I did two weeks worth of prep prior to this test using Mark Patmore's book, G&A numerical, plenty of Youtube videos and lots of hope!
- Mental arithmetic was more difficult than I had anticipated, but that was a personal experience, does not mean yours will be the same. I did not get a great deal of % / fraction/ decimal questions; there were more time & money related questions.
- Keep an eye on time whilst doing the written arithmetic, do not spend too long on a question. Rather, answer what is easy to you first, then come back to the more difficult ones.
-Written Arithmetic- I got cumulative frequency, pie charts, time/distance/speed & money questions, scatter graphs, table data and working out percentages of data given.
- Don't let your nerves get to you. I got nervous and there was a point when I was convinced I would fail, but I kept going and I ended up passing. Keep positive :smile: Keep calm and take deep breaths!
- Finally, answer all the questions, even if you have to guess!

BEST OF LUCK GUYS.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 184
Original post by sadaf1992
I honestly thought I failed it but to my surprise I passed! First attempt :biggrin: I found it a lot more difficult than the practice tests, but maybe it was just my nerves that had kicked in. I honestly don't know how I passed! Oh well, I'm not complaining :wink: thanks to everyone for their tips. Glad to see the back of it :smile:

If anyone has any questions regarding the numeracy test then please feel free to ask.

- I did two weeks worth of prep prior to this test using Mark Patmore's book, G&A numerical, plenty of Youtube videos and lots of hope!
- Mental arithmetic was more difficult than I had anticipated, but that was a personal experience, does not mean yours will be the same. I did not get a great deal of % / fraction/ decimal questions; there were more time & money related questions.
- Keep an eye on time whilst doing the written arithmetic, do not spend too long on a question. Rather, answer what is easy to you first, then come back to the more difficult ones.
-Written Arithmetic- I got cumulative frequency, pie charts, time/distance/speed & money questions, scatter graphs, table data and working out percentages of data given.
- Don't let your nerves get to you. I got nervous and there was a point when I was convinced I would fail, but I kept going and I ended up passing. Keep positive :smile: Keep calm and take deep breaths!

BEST OF LUCK GUYS.

Thanks for that, and well done on passing!
Original post by sadaf1992

BEST OF LUCK GUYS.

Well done 😊🙌🏻
I have my skills tests booked for tomorrow and officially my application hasn't been sent off yet as one of my references hasn't come back yet. Does this mean that I can't sit the test as I don't have proof of application?

Also to make things even worse, Apply and Track are down for maintenance so I can't even print off a copy of my application!!

I had thought that my references would have been sorted by now but they haven't and I don't want to have to cancel as I've already had to reschedule the test at the last minute to organise it for tomorrow!!!
Original post by kizzz!
I have my skills tests booked for tomorrow and officially my application hasn't been sent off yet as one of my references hasn't come back yet. Does this mean that I can't sit the test as I don't have proof of application?

Also to make things even worse, Apply and Track are down for maintenance so I can't even print off a copy of my application!!

I had thought that my references would have been sorted by now but they haven't and I don't want to have to cancel as I've already had to reschedule the test at the last minute to organise it for tomorrow!!!

Yes as far as I know yoy have to bring your acceptance letter with you x
Original post by Beccaa90
Yes as far as I know yoy have to bring your acceptance letter with you x

Bugger, there's £60 down the drain.
Reply 189
Original post by kizzz!

If you have an email to from UCAS to say you've started your application or something, it might be worth taking it along and seeing if they will accept it.
Reply 190
image.jpg
Original post by kizzz!
Original post by kizzz!

Your welcome email from UCAS will be accepted, this is what I used.
Reply 192
I had an email from UCAS to say my application was in progress, awaiting my references. I'd assume this is proof of application?
Actually, I just realised that I received my UCAS welcome email after my application was submitted, but I'd assume that your email is proof of application, or your application form.
Original post by sae156
I had an email from UCAS to say my application was in progress, awaiting my references. I'd assume this is proof of application?

Thanks for replying everyone.
The only emails I've received from UCAS is this one:image.jpg

And the ones to say that one of my references have agreed to support my application.

Would these acceptable?
It might not be acceptable because you can only take the tests after you have applied. Since the application isn't sent off until after your references have been completed, you technically haven't applied yet. However, you should email learndirect to verify this because, in the absence of an exhaustive list of acceptable evidence, what one person may consider unacceptable, another person may consider acceptable. If they say it is acceptable, make sure to print off their response and take it with you to the test centre to avoid any problems there. Their email address is: [email protected].
I failed Numeracy by two marks today!!! First attempt I failed by 4 (The computer crashed twice!) I only have one more chance and I honestly thought I would pass today. I was sooooo nervous by hand were shaking and the lady asked me if I wanted a drink before I started. I have never been this worried for an exam. I finished my a-levels this year and was also okay before going into a exam. I have to pass before 1st August too :frown: There are no slots available either! What am I going to do?
Reply 197
Original post by Hanna07
I failed Numeracy by two marks today!!! First attempt I failed by 4 (The computer crashed twice!) I only have one more chance and I honestly thought I would pass today. I was sooooo nervous by hand were shaking and the lady asked me if I wanted a drink before I started. I have never been this worried for an exam. I finished my a-levels this year and was also okay before going into a exam. I have to pass before 1st August too :frown: There are no slots available either! What am I going to do?

That's such a shame! Are there any other test centres within a reasonable distance you could try?
Original post by sae156
That's such a shame! Are there any other test centres within a reasonable distance you could try?

There seems to be nothing at the moment. I'll give another try at midnight because I've noticed some slots come up at that time. I'm in the process of complaining about my first attempt because the computer crashed twice! Learndirect take years to sort something out!
Does any one have a GA numerical package that they no longer need? I have no money and probably won't have any till I start uni lol I can try and pay something towards it because it is a lot of money x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending