The Student Room Group

(Be honest)Would you ever tell your family that you felt lonely?

Poll

Would you ever tell your family that you felt lonely?

(Be honest)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 061194

(Be honest)

If I felt like it was something I could fix myself then probably not because I like fixing my own problems, but if i felt like it was out of my hands (which I assume that most of the time this is what you'd feel if you did feel lonely) then I'd probably tell them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 061194

(Be honest)

Yes, I have done before. I feel I have got a good relationship with my mum, although there are definitely some details I won't go into. So yes, I would but I'm still quite a private person and wouldn't go into so much detail as to why I was feeling the way I was.
Reply 3
No, probably not.
Reply 4
I would tell my sister but not my parents cos I don't think they would understand... They usually say like go make friends ! But my sister would understand that since her age is closer to mine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 061194

(Be honest)

I've felt lonely before but i never told anyone at all because i thought i'd figure out how to deal with it sooner or later or it'd pass. At the time that i was feeling lonely i was also surrounded by a lot of people, i had a lot of friends at school and family members etc.
I guess i realized that the loneliness was an issue within myself i had to solve, i didn't really need to change much about outside circumstances like make more friends.
I think i did have a couple or at least one close friendship with someone. But ultimately i just had to figure it out for myself.

Even if i needed to tell someone, i probably wouldn't have told my family no (or anyone else) because i just feel a bit pathetic. And i'm not the type to open up to others much about my problems. I can tell people of problems that are more external like if i'm finding school stressful etc. but the more personal issues, no :smile:
Original post by 061194

(Be honest)

?! I'm the only one who voted yes? Anyway, I'd tell my mom. (lol, she knows already I'm lonely) Fun thing is she gets me and my problems, while my best friends usually don't.
I've said that to my sister before, but she wasn't particularly understanding about it.
Unless they can actually help (which they can't), then nope. My mum would probably just suggest that I spend more time at home which would be worse.
Reply 9
Yes I have done in the past. My mum was supportive.
Posted from TSR Mobile
If I was ever so lonely that I needed to tell somebody, then yes, I would tell them. I'm very close with my family.

Which is kind of a catch 22, since I would never feel so lonely that I needed to tell somebody, because I'll always have my family.
I do. It always comes up in arguments at home. I don't say I'm lonely, I say I'm alone and feel like I have no place in my family. They don't believe me. When they make it clear they don't believe me and think I'm being a drama queen I throw a fit. That's the one thing I really need their help with but they act like ignorant psychopathic dicks and refuse to acknowledge it so I can't help but get so pissed off.
Reply 12
No.....because family shouldn't be burdened with issues.
I'd probably tell a friend more than my family
yes I have. We came to an understanding recently.
No. Loneliness is alright and even if it was a problem for me I'd just try and solve it myself.
Original post by 061194

(Be honest)

Yes, I've already done that. I tried dealing with it by myself for a long long time. In the end, I had to tell my family and they sought professional help for me. I'm dysthymic, on meds for over a year and feeling much better now :smile:
I wish I could have time to feel lonely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have done before. I wouldn't right now. I don't want them to get the impression that I don't enjoy uni. I do enjoy my course a lot. It's just socially a drag, and I fell out with all my friends at home really. Even the ones I do talk to, their replies are scarce.

Quick Reply

Latest