The Student Room Group

Young British Muslims declare own jihad against Isis & co who 'hijack Islam'

A group of young British Muslims have declared their own “jihad” against Isis and all other terrorist groups.

The Muslim Youth League UK announced an ideological holy war against the Islamic State at a conference in Glasgow on Sunday, saying militants had “no link with Islam or the Muslim community”.

It is concerned that recruitment by the group is on the rise in the UK, targeting teenage girls and boys with gory propaganda videos and social media accounts boasting of life under the “caliphate”.

Shaykh Rehan Ahmed Raza, president of Muslim Youth League UK, said:
Our efforts are aimed at deterring further ISIS recruitment in Britain and defending the Muslim community, who feel their religion has been hijacked.

He announced a seven-point declaration calling the killing of any person un-Islamic, whatever their faith, and condemning extremists’ “deviation” from the teachings of Prophet Muhammad and the Koran.

The emergence of the terrorists, who would use the name of Islam to justify their atrocious activities, was prophesied by Prophet Muhammad. He declared them as being out of the ambit of Islam,
the declaration continues.

We challenge Isis, similar groups and their supporters ideologically and intellectually.

The league also announced that it rejects Islamophobic “labelling” of Muslims as extremists or terrorists by politicians, the media and public.

We ask Muslims from all walks of life, regardless of the school of thought to which they belong, to stand united against extremists who have hijacked the true teachings of Islam,
its declaration added.

We call upon scholars and community leaders to raise a united and unwavering voice against extremism.

While an unknown number of British men, women and teenagers have joined Isis in Iraq or Syria, its atrocities against civilians and the murder of foreign hostages has provoked widespread condemnation.

The Muslim Youth League and other groups are fighting back against its propaganda online and through engagement work in schools and communities.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/young-british-muslims-declare-own-jihad-against-isis-and-other-terrorists-who-hijack-islam-10146534.html
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

No true Scotsman, if they are going to fight intellectually they need to step up their game.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No true Scotsman at play

Sadly this will make no difference given they don't have the honesty to address the root cause (their faith)
Ha
ISIS are a western creation, just like Al Qaeda, and for some reason ordinary British Muslims should be held responsible? What are you people smoking. Perhaps the US and Britain shouldn't fight so many proxy wars and supply these people with arms and military training in the first place? Why are Britain exonerated? Who's mess is Iraq, Syria, ISIS?

I have lost so much faith in humanity over the years. Stupidity , idiocy and hypocricy levels are unbelievable.
(edited 9 years ago)
Great, more jihad. :rolleyes:
Scum.

Now they are just bringing more violence to the streets of Britain. Why do Muslims always have to resort to violence?
Original post by silent ninja
Ha
ISIS are a western creation, just like Al Qaeda, and for some reason ordinary British Muslims should be held responsible? What are you people smoking. Perhaps the US and Britain shouldn't fight so many proxy wars and supply these people with arms and military training in the first place? Why are Britain exonerated? Who's mess is Iraq, Syria, ISIS?

I have lost so much faith in humanity over the years. Stupidity , idiocy and hypocricy levels are unbelievable.

Muslims should do more protests showing our opposition towards terrorist groups like ISIS. Unfortunately our silence will just make the media get the better over us. We need to express our hatred towards terrorist group and silence is not the option. Disturbingly I have seen protests in SUPPORT of ISIS from British Muslims!! We protest over something like a cartoon but not over something as severe as terrorist groups (in fact we do the opposite)!! Shameful!!
Jihad being fought by jihad. Logic right there....
Well I suppose it's something, though I question the idea that ISIS have nothing to do with Islam. With the teachings of the Qu'ran being open to interpretation and no clear leader of the Islamic faith, ISIS' claim to represent true Islam is just as credible as these young people. Still, we've often criticised the Muslim community for caring far more about cartoons and Israel then about groups like ISIS, so although it won;t accomplish much, the gesture is important.

I would like to see a serious clamping down on Wahhabism, and also an end to the apologist nonsense that had we not intervened in the Middle East these groups would not exist. That pre-supposes that the Middle East was a peaceful and happy place before Western intervention, that Western intervention was unjustified and that the existence of these groups is an acceptable and normal reaction to Western actions. None of those suppositions hold true.
Original post by Raymat
Muslims should do more protests showing our opposition towards terrorist groups like ISIS. Unfortunately our silence will just make the media get the better over us. We need to express our hatred towards terrorist group and silence is not the option. Disturbingly I have seen protests in SUPPORT of ISIS from British Muslims!! We protest over something like a cartoon but not over something as severe as terrorist groups (in fact we do the opposite)!! Shameful!!

ISIS are a Western problem created by the USA. Why should Muslims be told to protest against them? If Muslims protest against proxy wars by Britain in the Middle East for example, they are branded extremists and unpatriotic. You can't even support Palestine without being branded an extremist. There will be many more ISIS type groups, just like Al Qaeda before. You can't object about foreign policy in Britain as a Muslim, you certainly shouldn't bother with the symptom of ISIS. Muslims are disillusioned, they are alienated. I'm not apologetic about ISIS. They have nothing to do with me.
(edited 9 years ago)
ISIS are a Western problem created by the USA. Why should Muslims be told to protest against them? If Muslims protest against proxy wars by Britain in the Middle East for example, they are branded extremists and unpatriotic. You can't even support Palestine without being branded an extremist. There will be many more ISIS type groups, just like All Qaeda before. You can't object about foreign policy in Britain as a Muslim, you certainly shouldn't bother with the symptom of ISIS. Muslims are disillusioned, they are alienated. I'm not apologetic about ISIS. They have nothing to do with me.

Muslims should leave Britain if they don't like Britain. Bye.

Oh and ISIS weren't created by the west. Read up.
Original post by PowelliteScum :)
Muslims should leave Britain if they don't like Britain. Bye.

Oh and ISIS weren't created by the west. Read up.

Of course they were. Their roots are American, just like Al Qaeda. American arms and training. Well documented. Perhaps you should read up. They are firing American rockets as we speak. They don't sell those on eBay
Of course they were. Their roots are American, just like Al Qaeda. American arms and training. Well documented. Perhaps you should read up. They are firing American rockets as we speak. They don't sell those on eBay

Where have you learnt this? What do you study?

Their roots are certainly not American - they are Islamic. Plus RPG's and Ak47 are not American weapons, neither are Toyota pick up trucks.
(edited 9 years ago)
ISIS are a Western problem created by the USA.

Whether that's true or not, they're responsible for their own actions, and all the deaths are on the killers.
Original post by felamaslen
Great, more jihad. :rolleyes:

Original post by neal95
Jihad being fought by jihad. Logic right there....

The term "jihad" means to "struggle" ISIS sees pretty much every Muslim sect out there as "kaafirs" (non believers) or "murtads" (traitors) or "munafiq" (hypocrite - though tbh, they're quite hypocritical themselves..) or hilariously "khawarij" (extremists)

Most other Muslims see ISIS as being un Islamic, and technically, both types of people have a "reason" to declare jihad on the others. For ISIS, it's down to establishing religious superiority. For most other Muslims, it's trying to get rid of ISIS, and the like

Yknow in a weird way, ISIS has actually been GOOD in some ways. Hear me out here. I no way in hell support ISIS, however I've noticed that as ISIS makes the news, Muslims of all different sects are saying "No we're all Muslim" Before, x imam might have said "Shias arent Muslim" and now those SAME imams are saying "Shias are our brothers" So in effect, theyre doing what they didn't want to do. They are unifying pretty much every other Muslim sect (Aside from perhaps Wahabism/Salafism) against them

And it's also been good from a "We must not hate Jews or Christians (ISIS have been pretty brutal to well..every one, including branding Christian and Jewish houses) because they are "ahlul kitaab" or "people of the book" so in that sense, it's actually been good at providing unity. They've also imo helped bridge relationships between East and West, because now, it's not just one or two nations that want to defeat ISIS as part of their national interests. It's many, across the world. Even Iran and the US are working together...
(edited 9 years ago)
ISIS are a Western problem created by the USA. Why should Muslims be told to protest against them? If Muslims protest against proxy wars by Britain in the Middle East for example, they are branded extremists and unpatriotic. You can't even support Palestine without being branded an extremist. There will be many more ISIS type groups, just like Al Qaeda before. You can't object about foreign policy in Britain as a Muslim, you certainly shouldn't bother with the symptom of ISIS. Muslims are disillusioned, they are alienated. I'm not apologetic about ISIS. They have nothing to do with me.

Western society doesn't see it the way you do that is why it is important to do protests against ISIS & co. If we don't do protests against these terrorist groups it will look as though we ordinary Muslims have no problem with their actions.
Original post by Raymat
Western society doesn't see it the way you do that is why it is important to do protests against ISIS & co. If we don't do protests against these terrorist groups it will look as though we ordinary Muslims have no problem with their actions.

Tis unfortunately so :frown: I dont think any one should HAVE to apologise for ISIS, because why should you have to apologise for something you didnt do... I dont blame white people today for people pillaging what was then India.. Why should I? The people today had nothing to do with it..
Original post by The_Internet
The term "jihad" means to "struggle" ISIS sees pretty much every Muslim sect out there as "kaafirs" (non believers) or "murtads" (traitors) or hilariously "khawarij" (extremists)

Most other Muslims see ISIS as being un Islamic, and technically, both types of people have a "reason" to declare jihad on the others. For ISIS, it's down to establishing religious superiority. For most other Muslims, it's trying to get rid of ISIS, and the like

Yknow in a weird way, ISIS has actually been GOOD in some ways. Hear me out here. I no way in hell support ISIS, however I've noticed that as ISIS makes the news, Muslims of all different sects are saying "No we're all Muslim" Before, x imam might have said "Shias arent Muslim" and now those SAME imams are saying "Shias are our brothers" So in effect, theyre doing what they didn't want to do. They are unifying pretty much every other Muslim sect (Aside from perhaps Wahabism/Salafism) against them

And it's also been good from a "We must not hate Jews or Christians, like ISIS do, because they are "ahlul kitaab" or "people of the book" so in that sense, it's actually been good at providing unity. They've also imo helped bridge relationships between East and West, because now, it's not just one or two nations that want to defeat ISIS as part of their national interests. It's many, across the world. Even Iran and the US are working together...

That is an interesting point of view indeed, though I suspect that when IS gets defeated all the old sectarianism will come straight back. And I don't share your optimism about the "we're all in this together" struggle; I don't see alliances with totalitarians (such as Iran) as in any way a good thing.
Original post by felamaslen
That is an interesting point of view indeed, though I suspect that when IS gets defeated all the old sectarianism will come straight back. And I don't share your optimism about the "we're all in this together" struggle; I don't see alliances with totalitarians (such as Iran) as in any way a good thing.

That may potentially be true tbh :frown:

Though I think at the very least, in Western nations, those bridges will have been well...bridged.
Original post by The_Internet
Tis unfortunately so :frown: I dont think any one should HAVE to apologise for ISIS, because why should you have to apologise for something you didnt do... I dont blame white people today for people pillaging what was then India.. Why should I? The people today had nothing to do with it..

But there is a difference between being White and being Muslim. Society isn't going around blaming all White people for their ancestors past atrocities whereas society views all Muslims in a biased way all thanks to the media so protesting will help counter this biased view. In terms of thoughts/beliefs, Muslims are more similar to each other than White people are to each other. This weak point only aids the media in providing a biased portrayal of Muslims so Muslims should protest to counter this problem. It might not counter it 100% but it will help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending