The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester Accommodation for Uni of Man. 2015

Hey everyone!
I am looking private halls for an ensuite room (WITH laundry room!!!) in Manchester.:confused:

I am thinking Kincardine Court but there is no laundry and I have not heard nice things about UNITE in general. I am thinking Liberty Living (Sir Charles) but it's too expensive!

I am a girl, and I need a safe area, preferably in the city centre!! Student Castle is fully booked (an very pricy aswell)

Any suggestions?
thanks!:biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Why are you so keen on having private halls? University halls are usually cheaper, well maintained and come with pastoral support and social events too.

All UoM halls have laundry facilities on site, but never in your bedroom. I can't understand why you'd want a washing machine in your room anyway - they're noisy and humid, which can lead to problems with condensation in a small room. Indeed, I've never heard of any student halls having a washing machine in the bedroom (or even in the flat).

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
Why are you so keen on having private halls? University halls are usually cheaper, well maintained and come with pastoral support and social events too.

All UoM halls have laundry facilities on site, but never in your bedroom. I can't understand why you'd want a washing machine in your room anyway - they're noisy and humid, which can lead to problems with condensation in a small room. Indeed, I've never heard of any student halls having a washing machine in the bedroom (or even in the flat).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't mean that I want a washing machine in my room. I meant that I d like a laundry room onsite. I would not like to live in Uni halls, because I need my own bathroom. Most of them have shared bathrooms. I have seen videos of uni accommodation and the buildings/facilities are quite old, and claustrophobic, at least for my taste.
Reply 3
Feel free to suggest any uni accommodation that u know well!And I will certainly have a look. However,I am a postgraduate and I don't know if I will get a room there anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by konpan
I didn't mean that I want a washing machine in my room. I meant that I d like a laundry room onsite. I would not like to live in Uni halls, because I need my own bathroom. Most of them have shared bathrooms. I have seen videos of uni accommodation and the buildings/facilities are quite old, and claustrophobic, at least for my taste.

There are four postgraduate university-owned halls with ensuite bathrooms, why do you feel you 'need' your own bathroom though?

As Origami Bullets said, university halls are generally superior to private halls in almost every aspect. Reviews of the latter are often terrible as well, with tenants saying that the staff take ages to fix things etc. I don't think I've ever heard someone say they preferred living in private halls compared to university halls.
Reply 5
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
There are four postgraduate university-owned halls with ensuite bathrooms, why do you feel you 'need' your own bathroom though?

As Origami Bullets said, university halls are generally superior to private halls in almost every aspect. Reviews of the latter are often terrible as well, with tenants saying that the staff take ages to fix things etc. I don't think I've ever heard someone say they preferred living in private halls compared to university halls.

Thank you for the info! I have never visited Manchester and any of the halls, private or uni owned, so I am trying to form an opinion from what I see and read online! Deciding where to live for a year is a very daunting experience! So do u suggest applying for accommodation at uni owned halls? I was thinking about the private ones,cause they seem cleaner, brighter and more colorful. But maintenance and support are important as well.
Original post by konpan
Thank you for the info! I have never visited Manchester and any of the halls, private or uni owned, so I am trying to form an opinion from what I see and read online! Deciding where to live for a year is a very daunting experience! So do u suggest applying for accommodation at uni owned halls? I was thinking about the private ones,cause they seem cleaner, brighter and more colorful. But maintenance and support are important as well.

Ultimately, it's your decision but I'd definitely recommend university halls over private halls, yes. I know some of the private halls often look nicer but bear in mind that you're looking at photos designed to draw people in, I've heard some people complain that the cleanliness and overall condition of their room/flat wasn't as they expected. Also, private halls cater to all sorts of people so you could well end up living with students who don't go to UoM.
Reply 7
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
Ultimately, it's your decision but I'd definitely recommend university halls over private halls, yes. I know some of the private halls often look nicer but bear in mind that you're looking at photos designed to draw people in, I've heard some people complain that the cleanliness and overall condition of their room/flat wasn't as they expected. Also, private halls cater to all sorts of people so you could well end up living with students who don't go to UoM.

Thank you very much for your advice! Anyone else that would like to add something,please go ahead! I need as much info as possible!
Have a nice weekend!
Reply 8
Would you recommend Denmark Road,Sanctuary???
Original post by konpan
Would you recommend Denmark Road,Sanctuary???

UoM actually leases out part of Denmark Road for undergraduate students so I guess it's probably one of the better private halls, you might find it difficult getting a room there now though. You also wouldn't have access to any of the support available to the undergraduates as your contract would be with Sanctuary Students, not the university.
Reply 10
What kind of support are u referring to?
Original post by konpan
What kind of support are u referring to?

If you have any problems with your accommodation, the university wouldn't be able to help. Also, if you were to leave your course, as unlikely as that may be, you'd still be required to pay the rest of your rent for the year unless you find someone to take your room. That wouldn't be the case if you were in UoM halls.
Reply 12
I see! :smile: if anyone wants to add sth,please do!
Thank you guys!
Hey,
I wana book a flight. I don't have my visa right now but as I can get cheap fare to Manchester, I wanted to pre-book. Could you please help me with the dates? I mean how many dates before the class date do we need to arrive. my classes start on 21st sept.2015
Original post by AlinaAgha
Hey,
I wana book a flight. I don't have my visa right now but as I can get cheap fare to Manchester, I wanted to pre-book. Could you please help me with the dates? I mean how many dates before the class date do we need to arrive. my classes start on 21st sept.2015

Your classes won't start on the 21st, that's just the beginning of Welcome Week, courses officially start on the 28th.

I think orientation for international students runs from the 17th to the 20th, during which the university runs a free shuttle service from the airport. The 17th is also when most accommodation contracts start so if you arrived any earlier, you'd probably have to arrange your own temporary accommodation. It would be best to check with the university to confirm these dates though, don't take my word for it. Not all accommodation contracts start on the 17th, for example, so you might need to check with your individual hall.
Ok thankYou so much.
Hi I don't have that much money for accommodation and after putting in how muc I can spend, 3 choices come up:

Oak House
Whitworth Park
Wright Robinson

Does anyone have any past experience of these? My cousin is currently studying @ Manc and says the best campus is Fallowfield, so Oak House will be my #1, but Wright Robinson looks a bit daunting! I don't want to be on my own with a load of international students in city campus, but I can't afford it (3 choices in Fallowfield)! Can you just put 2 choices down?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated, thanks!!x
Reply 17
I've just book private accommodation via Prodigy Living. Their Lambert House is brilliantly positioned in the city & has all the facilities (and more), that you could possibly require.
Unfortunately, this accommodation is pricey - with a 45 week contract amounting to a little over £7k.
If you're in a position where you're able to commit to that contract, it looks great!
Majority international students but I'm hoping I won't be too excluded!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
ANYBODY KNOWS OR LIVES AT PRIME STUDENT LIVING, CAMBRIDGE HOUSE on Cambridge street? I cannot find any reviews, but I like the accommodation! thanks
Ashburne hall vs Owens Park

Does anyone know anything about these halls i need help deciding
ive already read the massive accomodation thread but im still not sure

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending