The Student Room Group

Is it possible to reapply for universities while studying in another uni?

Hi, i got an offer from warwick this year, and i was wondering if its possible to reapply to cambridge and lse using my A level results, while studying in warwick next year.

If possible, will i be at a disadvantage because i am studying in another university?

please help!!
Original post by LJBurrows
Hi, i got an offer from warwick this year, and i was wondering if its possible to reapply to cambridge and lse using my A level results, while studying in warwick next year.

If possible, will i be at a disadvantage because i am studying in another university?

please help!!

Cambridge discourage doing that but some colleges may acknowledge your application.

Oxford, on the over hand, are completely fine with it.
Reply 2

please help!!

You can do that but remember on your UCAS form to include Warwick as an establishment you've studied at. Alternatively, if you don't want to spend £9000 for a year of study you could ask Warwick if they might consider taking you next year instead, deferring like you would for a gap year.
Cambridge and LSE will probably ask at interview why you want to change university/course so you'd better come up with a pretty good reason relevant to their course.
I did this to change to a university higher in the rankings closer to home. I still don't know if it's technically allowed, because you're essentially just attempting to improve your lot while making sure you are already in a university, but you can do it.
Original post by Lwin
You can do that but remember on your UCAS form to include Warwick as an establishment you've studied at. Alternatively, if you don't want to spend £9000 for a year of study you could ask Warwick if they might consider taking you next year instead, deferring like you would for a gap year.
Cambridge and LSE will probably ask at interview why you want to change university/course so you'd better come up with a pretty good reason relevant to their course.
I did this to change to a university higher in the rankings closer to home. I still don't know if it's technically allowed, because you're essentially just attempting to improve your lot while making sure you are already in a university, but you can do it.

As far as I'm aware, you can't apply for another uni while holding a deferred place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Princepieman
Cambridge discourage doing that but some colleges may acknowledge your application.

Oxford, on the over hand, are completely fine with it.

So do you reckon i shouldn't do it if i am aiming for cambridge?

And could you tell me the source for this info? I can't find it on cambridge website:frown:

Thanks for ur reply!
So do you reckon i shouldn't do it if i am aiming for cambridge?

And could you tell me the source for this info? I can't find it on cambridge website:frown:

Thanks for ur reply!

http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/faqs.html#graduatehtml#graduate

I wouldn't advise it, but talk to the individual colleges about it. Some may make an exception.
Reply 6
There's no rule saying you can't apply, but it's very unlikely Cambridge will bother looking at your application once you'd tell them on your SAQ (LSE probably wouldn't need to know, so that'd be OK)

They recently restructured their admissions webpages, but here's a quote from a snapshot from last year:

"Please note that the Cambridge Colleges will not normally, as a matter of principle, consider applications from students attending other UK universities applying to study the same or a very similar subject at Cambridge.
If you wish to make such an application it will have to be strongly supported by your tutor at your current university. A reference or letter of recommendation from him/her to the Cambridge College will be required, and only then can a Cambridge College consider it.
If you wish to apply to Cambridge to read a different subject from the one you are currently studying at a UK university, we would assume that you had had a change of heart and no longer wish to study the subject you are currently pursuing. In this case your application would be considered, but would still need strong support from your current university tutor. "

The reason is that it really infuriates admissions tutors when a student thinks that somewhere like Warwick isn't good enough for them, when it's virtually the same and they work closely with colleagues from those uni's. If you were really passionate about studying your subject you wouldn't actually want to waste a year just to get into 'oxbridge'.
Reply 7
Original post by Princepieman
As far as I'm aware, you can't apply for another uni while holding a deferred place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My bad, sorry!

Quick Reply

Latest