The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

How flexible is Swansea?

I've received a offer from swansea university for economics. I didn't get to go to the applicant days as I was abroad on my gap year and I'm just wondering how flexible swansea university is when it comes to entry requirements/grades...

They've given me a offer of ABB, but what if I miss it by one and get like a BBB? are they strict when it comes to missing the grades?
Original post by Bustamove
I've received a offer from swansea university for economics. I didn't get to go to the applicant days as I was abroad on my gap year and I'm just wondering how flexible swansea university is when it comes to entry requirements/grades...

They've given me a offer of ABB, but what if I miss it by one and get like a BBB? are they strict when it comes to missing the grades?

this is impossible for anyone to answer as no one knows including the university how many firmers meet their offer and how many who put it down as an insurance end up going there. if there are still vacancies after this unis have to decide whether to accept students with a dropped grade or whether they can get better qualified students through clearing. even looking at previous years stats wont help due to the move to the new campus and the effect that will have. my gut feeling is the uni will probably accept you but the only guarantee anyone can give is if you meet their offer.
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
this is impossible for anyone to answer as no one knows including the university how many firmers meet their offer and how many who put it down as an insurance end up going there. if there are still vacancies after this unis have to decide whether to accept students with a dropped grade or whether they can get better qualified students through clearing. even looking at previous years stats wont help due to the move to the new campus and the effect that will have. my gut feeling is the uni will probably accept you but the only guarantee anyone can give is if you meet their offer.

okay thanks... I'm just wondering because some universities are known to be quite flexible and will take people in who have missed a grade...

Thing is, the entry requirements for economics is ABB - BBB, but they offered me ABB (I guess its because I'm in a gap year)...
What if I miss the offer and get BBB instead even though the conditions they gave me is ABB?

ah I guess noone can no for sure...
(edited 9 years ago)
The university has a reputation as the clearing university and past history would suggest that they will be quite flexible. The university is rapidly expanding and aiming to double the intake of students as it attempts to raise more funds for it's future ambitions, so grade requirements can be thrown out the window sometimes.
Reply 4
Original post by Wick3d
The university has a reputation as the clearing university and past history would suggest that they will be quite flexible. The university is rapidly expanding and aiming to double the intake of students as it attempts to raise more funds for it's future ambitions, so grade requirements can be thrown out the window sometimes.

Original post by Wick3d

Sources?
Original post by Juichiro
Sources?

Ask any student how they got into the university. I'm not saying they all came through clearing but a significant portion have and do every year.
Original post by Wick3d
a significant portion have and do every year.

How do you know this?
Original post by Bustamove

Hi Bustamove, I’m pleased to hear that you have received an offer for the Economics course at Swansea University. The best person to speak to about the entry requirements for the Economics course would be the Economics admissions team. Their email is [email protected].

Last September, 15% of our entire undergraduate intake came clearing and we expect to have even fewer places through clearing this year. Our courses are very competitive and only the Economics admissions team will be able to advise you on which specific entry requirements they will accept. I hope this helps you, if you have any further questions please ask.
Original post by Wick3d
Ask any student how they got into the university. I'm not saying they all came through clearing but a significant portion have and do every year.

Original post by Swansea University
Hi Bustamove, I’m pleased to hear that you have received an offer for the Economics course at Swansea University. The best person to speak to about the entry requirements for the Economics course would be the Economics admissions team. Their email is [email protected].

Last September, 15% of our entire undergraduate intake came clearing and we expect to have even fewer places through clearing this year. Our courses are very competitive and only the Economics admissions team will be able to advise you on which specific entry requirements they will accept. I hope this helps you, if you have any further questions please ask.

I think this is meant for you, Wick3d.
I got in as my first choice, missed out by 2 grades but still got in. It depends on the class size and the quality of others applying for your course.

So in short, it depends how everyone else does.

Quick Reply

Latest