The Student Room Group

Working for the next 30-40 years

Hi guys, 19 year old here and just started my first job. I just realised that i am going to be working for the rest of my life! How do you cope?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by maxi365
Hi guys, 19 year old here and just started my first job. I just realised that i am going to be working for the rest of my life! How do you cope?

Posted from TSR Mobile

By trying to find ways that allow you to retire early!
Original post by maxi365

Posted from TSR Mobile

I reckon ill cope because I plan on going into a career I enjoy, imagine getting paid to do something that is your hobby. I advise you try to do the same,
Alcohol.
Reply 4
It is a bit of a shock to the system, definitely. Coming straight out of university where you're used to lots of naps, long summers, unscheduled hours..

Just take each day as it comes for now, and make sure you have enough breaks/things to look forward to in the next year to break up the monotony of it all!

You'll get used to it.
You'll enjoy finishing work, and really valuing your spare time, and having money to do things in it!
Finishing work, and being able to 'shut down' - not worrying that you should be studying or writing that essay...

It does get easier. That is of course, unless you take up a professional qualification 😋

Edit: whoops, just realised you're not a grad. Nvm, still roughly applies 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Being paid must be a rewarding thing though, right?
Original post by SiminaM
Being paid must be a rewarding thing though, right?

If your monthly wage is just getting you by, then not really.

I hope to find a rich man and retire 10 years early :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by Mrs House
If your monthly wage is just getting you by, then not really.

I hope to find a rich man and retire 10 years early :biggrin:

Don't we all wish.... :wink:
Original post by Pipsico
It is a bit of a shock to the system, definitely. Coming straight out of university where you're used to lots of naps, long summers, unscheduled hours..

Just take each day as it comes for now, and make sure you have enough breaks/things to look forward to in the next year to break up the monotony of it all!

You'll get used to it.
You'll enjoy finishing work, and really valuing your spare time, and having money to do things in it!
Finishing work, and being able to 'shut down' - not worrying that you should be studying or writing that essay...

It does get easier. That is of course, unless you take up a professional qualification 😋

Edit: whoops, just realised you're not a grad. Nvm, still roughly applies 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree.

There was a bloke on good morning britain this morning who is europes oldest fast food worker. He has just turned 90 and still works at mcdonalds.
Imagine working until you are 90.
Pick/find a job you enjoy?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending