The Student Room Group

MA History at UCL. Is it worth it?

Hi there,

I have got offers from UCL and KCL to study history at MA level. This is something I have wanted to do for a very long time. I am absolutely passionate about the subject and love the environment of a university. Researching, writing and learning alongside other likeminded people for a further year would be both a pleasure and a privilege.

My love for history also has to be tempered with reality. Whilst I have savings which will go some way to covering the cost of my studies (coupled with the fact I'll be living at home) a further year of study will be a massive investment. Since graduating in August 2014, I have found that a BA from a decent university (KCL) does not hold the capital it might have some years ago (plenty of people have BA's!). However, I have read articles (and forum posts) which doubt the utility of a Humanities MA in an increasingly competitive jobs market.

Whilst I am sure the skills and competencies I gain from a further year of masters study might well be relevant to the career fields in which I'm interested (Academia/education/research) I need to be sure that decimating my savings will be worthwhile.

Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Lyman
Hi there,

I have got offers from UCL and KCL to study history at MA level. This is something I have wanted to do for a very long time. I am absolutely passionate about the subject and love the environment of a university. Researching, writing and learning alongside other likeminded people for a further year would be both a pleasure and a privilege.

My love for history also has to be tempered with reality. Whilst I have savings which will go some way to covering the cost of my studies (coupled with the fact I'll be living at home) a further year of study will be a massive investment. Since graduating in August 2014, I have found that a BA from a decent university (KCL) does not hold the capital it might have some years ago (plenty of people have BA's!). However, I have read articles (and forum posts) which doubt the utility of a Humanities MA in an increasingly competitive jobs market.

Whilst I am sure the skills and competencies I gain from a further year of masters study might well be relevant to the career fields in which I'm interested (Academia/education/research) I need to be sure that decimating my savings will be worthwhile.

Don't make too many plans on becoming a lecturer in History, it's a long and insanely competitive path.
I harboured desires to become a lecturer in History, until I came to a realisation last week that it probably won't happen. If I was you, speaking as a soon to be History undergraduate at Durham University, I would do a Master's in Business or something vocational, or a PGCE. However, if you're set on being a lecturer then do it- quite clearly not everybody fails to become a lecturer or there'd be none. Someone has to be getting the jobs. Just remember that it's not going to be particularly likely.
Original post by Lyman
Hi there,

I think you've got a pretty good grasp of the issues and dilemmas involved, you just need to make up your mind about whether it's worth it to go down the MA road. There is no utility in a Humanities MA in the current job market. If you decide to pursue one, (and you're lucky in that you have the ability to do so without going into massive debt) you should concieve of it as a privilege, a whole year when you get to do something you love, full time. It won't make you less employable, so if you're ok with emerging from your MA and joining the queue of freshly-minted degree-holders in the job hunt, then go for it.

As for your stated career ambitions regarding academia (although you say education too, and an MA would be relevant if you decided to go into secondary teaching, even if further training is needed), the above posters are correct: it's insanely compeditive and you will most likely get your dreams crushed in front of your eyes unless an obscure millionaire great-aunt dies and leaves the lot to you. However, that's no excuse not to go for it with your eyes wide open and having given thought to a contingency plan. Be ready to accept the fact that each stage you reach (PhD funding, post-doc, permanent position) could well be your last and give it your all.

On the other hand, if you're looking to make yourself more employable, or to stand out in the milkround crowd, or to set the foundations of a financially secure career before you're 35, you would, as the insanly-young-to-be-commenting-on-this-thread poster above me says, be better off doing something more vocational (business, marketing, software development, accounting). Bear in mind that compared to doing an MA in History, these are mind-numbingly dull looking (IMO, anyway).

Where I'm coming from: same situation as you, spent all my money on a Masters in History, had a ball, spent the last year applying for grad jobs and PhDs. I've got a grad job offer for September and am awaiting final PhD funding results. I'd love to be an academic and I really hope I can be, but if I don't make the cut for PhD funding, I'm more than happy to take an ordinary job, live my life and return to academia upon retirement. Whatever happens, I don't regret taking the year to study what I loved.
Reply 4
Original post by Lyman
Hi there,

If you're in the top 3 of your class, Id say go for it, otherwise funding will be very difficult.
Reply 5
Original post by Alex347_
I harboured desires to become a lecturer in History, until I came to a realisation last week that it probably won't happen. If I was you, speaking as a soon to be History undergraduate at Durham University, I would do a Master's in Business or something vocational, or a PGCE. However, if you're set on being a lecturer then do it- quite clearly not everybody fails to become a lecturer or there'd be none. Someone has to be getting the jobs. Just remember that it's not going to be particularly likely.

Let me tell you about the PGCE. I have friends who have applied for this as undergrads and particularly in my favoured area (history) they have found that the candidacy is increasingly choked up with people who have MA's. Doubtless to say they failed to cash in on offers. The government has slashed the requirement for history teachers, so it's inevitable that the best quality people will be recruited by the most competitive courses. I suppose I want to research and study the areas I am interested in further (this is something I haven't stopped doing since leaving university, and there are still areas I want to write about). Speaking to recruiters that I know, MA's (regardless of subject) do give people a slight edge in an employment market increasingly full of BA's. I'm under no illusions that an MA in history will make my career, however it will allow me to indulge my interests further. The year in university won't be totally useless either. A little advice for you, going in as an Undegrad. If you make use of the careers service, the various networking opportunities as well as certain societies you can boost your resume quite impressively. If I can get some more work experience in research fields and boost this skills set (which is a part of my program) then I think I'll be able to sell this on the jobs market.

Original post by ellie.rew
I think you've got a pretty good grasp of the issues and dilemmas involved, you just need to make up your mind about whether it's worth it to go down the MA road. There is no utility in a Humanities MA in the current job market. If you decide to pursue one, (and you're lucky in that you have the ability to do so without going into massive debt) you should concieve of it as a privilege, a whole year when you get to do something you love, full time. It won't make you less employable, so if you're ok with emerging from your MA and joining the queue of freshly-minted degree-holders in the job hunt, then go for it.

As for your stated career ambitions regarding academia (although you say education too, and an MA would be relevant if you decided to go into secondary teaching, even if further training is needed), the above posters are correct: it's insanely compeditive and you will most likely get your dreams crushed in front of your eyes unless an obscure millionaire great-aunt dies and leaves the lot to you. However, that's no excuse not to go for it with your eyes wide open and having given thought to a contingency plan. Be ready to accept the fact that each stage you reach (PhD funding, post-doc, permanent position) could well be your last and give it your all.

On the other hand, if you're looking to make yourself more employable, or to stand out in the milkround crowd, or to set the foundations of a financially secure career before you're 35, you would, as the insanly-young-to-be-commenting-on-this-thread poster above me says, be better off doing something more vocational (business, marketing, software development, accounting). Bear in mind that compared to doing an MA in History, these are mind-numbingly dull looking (IMO, anyway).

Where I'm coming from: same situation as you, spent all my money on a Masters in History, had a ball, spent the last year applying for grad jobs and PhDs. I've got a grad job offer for September and am awaiting final PhD funding results. I'd love to be an academic and I really hope I can be, but if I don't make the cut for PhD funding, I'm more than happy to take an ordinary job, live my life and return to academia upon retirement. Whatever happens, I don't regret taking the year to study what I loved.

In terms of career progression, I think I am in a reasonable situation right now. I worked throughout university, as a researcher for a charity and before that in an insolvency firm as a general admin assistant in their offices. After leaving university I turned down a decent grad job to work in a school I enjoy working with young people, helping them learn, develop and fulfil their potential and despite the significantly slimmer pay packet I think I've done some real good. I arrived in the school at a transitional stage and as a result I have worked as an unqualified teacher with leadership responsibilities and coached a number of sixth formers into Russell Group universities. Hopefully, after a year of MA study I don't come across as an overqualified oik who enrolled on an MA to avoid the real world for a year longer. I will continue to work throughout. I am also going to apply for TeachFirst this summer, hopefully to give myself some security (although I do have moral and principled reservations about the program)

I have considered doing a more vocational MA, however I am really not a "corporate" however hard I try to be. This is why I turned down my grad job in the first place. I couldn't imagine anything more miserable than studying watered down theories of corporate governance which will probably have limited relevance to any future employment that I undertake. For me, it is a shame that learning has become monetised. Learning should be driven by a desire to gain knowledge for the sake of knowledge, not to boost ones resume.

My ramblings aside, I suppose I'm at a crossroads in life (with time to deliberate). I am fully aware that my dreams of becoming an Academic might not work out. I haven't staked everything on them, I think I've worked across enough sectors that if everything falls through I can pick myself up and disappointedly look for a "proper" job. If I may ask, what is your graduate job in? After posting this thread yesterday I happened to get into conversation with one of the women who handle recruitment at my workplace over lunch. We chanced upon the topic of masters, and after congratulating me for my offer she said that the employment market is increasingly becoming a "masters world". New Labour's efforts to massively increase the number of University Attendees mean that the employment market is choked up with graduates clutching their freshly minted 2:1's every August. MA's, regardless of their topic, do give individuals a slight edge over non-MA candidates. So perhaps your MA has worked for you in some way.

In sum I'm not expecting doors to open for me post-MA, but it will be a privilege to study the subject i'm passionate about for a further year. Hearing from people like you is extremely helpful, so thanks for taking the time to respond to me in so much depth. I'm not hedging my bets on an academic career (I'm not even convinced I want to take one on account of the financial shortcomings), but it's good to hear that an MA won't be a complete waste of time and that you can find gainful employment in the months afterwards.

What has my age got to do with being sensible enough to realise that vocational degrees will yield better employment prospects?
Original post by Lyman

In terms of career progression, I think I am in a reasonable situation right now. I worked throughout university, as a researcher for a charity and before that in an insolvency firm as a general admin assistant in their offices. After leaving university I turned down a decent grad job to work in a school I enjoy working with young people, helping them learn, develop and fulfil their potential and despite the significantly slimmer pay packet I think I've done some real good. I arrived in the school at a transitional stage and as a result I have worked as an unqualified teacher with leadership responsibilities and coached a number of sixth formers into Russell Group universities. Hopefully, after a year of MA study I don't come across as an overqualified oik who enrolled on an MA to avoid the real world for a year longer. I will continue to work throughout. I am also going to apply for TeachFirst this summer, hopefully to give myself some security (although I do have moral and principled reservations about the program)

I have considered doing a more vocational MA, however I am really not a "corporate" however hard I try to be. This is why I turned down my grad job in the first place. I couldn't imagine anything more miserable than studying watered down theories of corporate governance which will probably have limited relevance to any future employment that I undertake. For me, it is a shame that learning has become monetised. Learning should be driven by a desire to gain knowledge for the sake of knowledge, not to boost ones resume.

My ramblings aside, I suppose I'm at a crossroads in life (with time to deliberate). I am fully aware that my dreams of becoming an Academic might not work out. I haven't staked everything on them, I think I've worked across enough sectors that if everything falls through I can pick myself up and disappointedly look for a "proper" job. If I may ask, what is your graduate job in? After posting this thread yesterday I happened to get into conversation with one of the women who handle recruitment at my workplace over lunch. We chanced upon the topic of masters, and after congratulating me for my offer she said that the employment market is increasingly becoming a "masters world". New Labour's efforts to massively increase the number of University Attendees mean that the employment market is choked up with graduates clutching their freshly minted 2:1's every August. MA's, regardless of their topic, do give individuals a slight edge over non-MA candidates. So perhaps your MA has worked for you in some way.

In sum I'm not expecting doors to open for me post-MA, but it will be a privilege to study the subject i'm passionate about for a further year. Hearing from people like you is extremely helpful, so thanks for taking the time to respond to me in so much depth. I'm not hedging my bets on an academic career (I'm not even convinced I want to take one on account of the financial shortcomings), but it's good to hear that an MA won't be a complete waste of time and that you can find gainful employment in the months afterwards.

From what you've said, I can't see any reason why you shouldn't go for the MA. You've got enough work experience behind you that it won't stall your career or make getting a job on the other side more difficult, you've got a clear passion for the subject and no desire to do a mind-numbing but well-paying job. I would advise doing the MA, applying for PhDs and then deciding whether you want to stay in academia or go back to the real-world. Worst thing that can happen is you have a great, intellectually stimulating year before moving on with the rest of your life.

My job offer is in HE policy and operations in a London uni, on a track designed to train senior managers. It's nice because it'll let me stay active and involved in HE and academia, an area I'm passionate about and care about), while still being challenging and well paid.

What has my age got to do with being sensible enough to realise that vocational degrees will yield better employment prospects?

Nothing, rather the fact that you seemed to be using the fact that you're still in school (I assume, as a soon-to-be undergrad) as a way of backing up your knowledge of the grad job market. The info and advice you gave is totally right, by the way, I have no quibble with what you said, but it sounded a bit like "You should definatetly move to Scotland, it's an amazing place. I've never been, but will be visiting next year." Just an amusing observation.
From what you've said, I can't see any reason why you shouldn't go for the MA. You've got enough work experience behind you that it won't stall your career or make getting a job on the other side more difficult, you've got a clear passion for the subject and no desire to do a mind-numbing but well-paying job. I would advise doing the MA, applying for PhDs and then deciding whether you want to stay in academia or go back to the real-world. Worst thing that can happen is you have a great, intellectually stimulating year before moving on with the rest of your life.

My job offer is in HE policy and operations in a London uni, on a track designed to train senior managers. It's nice because it'll let me stay active and involved in HE and academia, an area I'm passionate about and care about), while still being challenging and well paid.

Nothing, rather the fact that you seemed to be using the fact that you're still in school (I assume, as a soon-to-be undergrad) as a way of backing up your knowledge of the grad job market. The info and advice you gave is totally right, by the way, I have no quibble with what you said, but it sounded a bit like "You should definatetly move to Scotland, it's an amazing place. I've never been, but will be visiting next year." Just an amusing observation.

I have no knowledge of the graduate market at all- just common sense, and what I meant by professing my being a prospective undergraduate in History, is that I have the passion for it, and a phenomenal interest in History, and even then I wouldn't go for an MA in History, rather than a vocational MA.
I have no knowledge of the graduate market at all- just common sense, and what I meant by professing my being a prospective undergraduate in History, is that I have the passion for it, and a phenomenal interest in History, and even then I wouldn't go for an MA in History, rather than a vocational MA.

Fair enough, I clearly just read it in a different way. I'd be of a different opinion, in that I'd take the History MA I enjoy over the vocational MA that will give security anyday of the week, provided taking it wouldn't ruin my future prospects financially. There's no point being alive if you're not gonna make the most of it, after all!
Original post by Lyman
Hi there,

1. Academia. Overworked, underpaid, bullied and stress. Studies and articles have been written about this, especially now in the REF age.

2. Education. This is like saying "science". It is a broad field and only the managerial levels offer great money.

3. Research. This is the same as point 1.

You are in for a hard road full of uncertainties.

What makes you think academia will open its doors for you when you are an elderly man with (presumably) limited capacity to learn the ins and outs of the everyday life in academia?
Original post by Juichiro
What makes you think academia will open its doors for you when you are an elderly man with (presumably) limited capacity to learn the ins and outs of the everyday life in academia?

Well for one thing, I never plan on being an elderly man, even upon retirement, so that solves half the dilemma! :tongue:

And secondly, if applying for PhDs this year has taught me anything, it's that universities will let you study almost anything if you've got the money to pay for it yourself. After my long and successful real-world career, I'll have the financial means to get myself a PhD and set myself up as an independent researcher, finally getting to live my dream!
Reply 13
1. Academia. Overworked, underpaid, bullied and stress. Studies and articles have been written about this, especially now in the REF age.

2. Education. This is like saying "science". It is a broad field and only the managerial levels offer great money.

3. Research. This is the same as point 1.

You are in for a hard road full of uncertainties.

Well I've proven to myself that I can do education. I arrived at a school this September, and have since taken on management and leadership duties as well as frontline teaching. My pay packet has increased nicely and I have really enjoyed the year. I have met some inspiring people and really helped students. I plan to apply for TeachFirst in the summer and although I do have ideological reservations about the direction of the education system (damn tories!) it is a job that I could do and find fulfilling.

I would happily return to this sector after a year of study, and I have friends and contacts that would make my return somewhat more cushioned. The other career choices I mention are extremely speculative and at the end of the day I would happily take up any employment so long as I could pay my way (even mind numbing pen pushing). My parents taught me well; a job is a job and you should value it unconditionally.

Your advice is really helpful. Somewhere, in the depths of London there is a person extremely grateful for your insight. I will give academia a shot, and if it does all go down the pan I'll don my suit and join the pen pushing ranks. Having flipped burgers at the arsenal stadium and worked as a charity fundraiser in a call centre, I think I can confidently say that office work is hardly the worst recourse!
Original post by Lyman
Well I've proven to myself that I can do education. I arrived at a school this September, and have since taken on management and leadership duties as well as frontline teaching. My pay packet has increased nicely and I have really enjoyed the year. I have met some inspiring people and really helped students. I plan to apply for TeachFirst in the summer and although I do have ideological reservations about the direction of the education system (damn tories!) it is a job that I could do and find fulfilling.

I would happily return to this sector after a year of study, and I have friends and contacts that would make my return somewhat more cushioned. The other career choices I mention are extremely speculative and at the end of the day I would happily take up any employment so long as I could pay my way (even mind numbing pen pushing). My parents taught me well; a job is a job and 1.you should value it unconditionally. .

Your advice is really helpful. Somewhere, in the depths of London there is a person extremely grateful for your insight. I will give academia a shot, and if it does all go down the pan I'll don my suit and join the pen pushing ranks. Having flipped burgers at the arsenal stadium and worked as a charity fundraiser in a call centre, I think I can confidently say that office work is hardly the worst recourse!

You are an unqualified teacher? Poor kids. :frown:
2. That is giving green light to employers to justify zero-hour contracts and other horrible things. A job is a job but human have rights. Jobs should not take those away.
Reply 15
You are an unqualified teacher? Poor kids. :frown:
2. That is giving green light to employers to justify zero-hour contracts and other horrible things. A job is a job but human have rights. Jobs should not take those away.

Poor Kids? I got visited by OFSTED and my teaching was classified as "outstanding", so I must be doing something right (or, alternatively I bribed the inspectors... hush hush!) I've received formal training over the course of the year, and have the opportunity to qualify but I'd like to study a bit more before committing myself to an extremely absorbing career.

Regarding your latter comments; I don't want to get too political as that isn't the purpose of this thread, however a man must speak his mind. I would never condone zero hour contracts. They are an inhumane reversion to the working conditions of Victorian Britain. Nevertheless, My family came to this country as part of the Windrush Generation in the 1950s. The hostile outset that my grandfather faced (no blacks, no dogs, no irish) fused a self-help, hard-work attitude in my family which has filtered down the generations. I would never presume to judge others or impose my standards and beliefs upon them, however I have my own principles and convictions and I am proud to stick by them. Therefore, I will strive to excel at any job I do.
(edited 9 years ago)
It's not going to help you on the job market any more than your KCL history BA, but if you want to lecture/profess you will need to do a master's somewhere some time to go into a doctorate anyway.

Having a degree in business doesn't help that much in the business world. Also, only crap universities accept people on to their master's courses from irrelevant disciplines.
Original post by Lyman
Poor Kids? I got visited by OFSTED and my teaching was classified as "outstanding", so I must be doing something right (or, alternatively I bribed the inspectors... hush hush!) I've received formal training over the course of the year, and have the opportunity to qualify but I'd like to study a bit more before committing myself to an extremely absorbing career.

Regarding your latter comments; I don't want to get too political as that isn't the purpose of this thread, however a man must speak his mind. I would never condone zero hour contracts. They are an inhumane reversion to the working conditions of Victorian Britain. Nevertheless, My family came to this country as part of the Windrush Generation in the 1950s. The hostile outset that my grandfather faced (no blacks, no dogs, no irish) fused a self-help, hard-work attitude in my family which has filtered down the generations. I would never presume to judge others or impose my standards and beliefs upon them, however I have my own principles and convictions and I am proud to stick by them. Therefore, I will strive to excel at any job I do.

That's quite impressive, sir. :colondollar: I take my hat off to you.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
Having a degree in business doesn't help that much in the business world. Also, only crap universities accept people on to their master's courses from irrelevant disciplines.

You just called Oxford crap. :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending