The Student Room Group

Is this relationship healthy or am I deluded?

OK I had nowhere else to turn to so

I've been seeing a girl for about 2 months now and we're at the stage of defining our relationship. I really like her and I know she feels the same, but yesterday she sat me down and told me she has cheated on me on a few occasions with men and basically asked me for an open relationship. At first I was really devastated but conflicted; and at a point I just became comfortable with it. You know? We're both so young and she's really beautiful and perfect, and I know I can't hold her down. But honestly I wouldn't want to. She doesn't belong to me. She cares for me and has been really supportive through my roughest episodes, so she is very much my girlfriend. She just looks for purely sexual connection with men. I guess something I can't offer her. We still have sex and act couple-y, but this is just an extra for her.

It sounds ridiculous I know, and I've really been thinking it through. I know if I ask her to have a closed relationship with just me (as an ultimatum) she will break up with me and that will hurt a lot. She is my first legit girlfriend so I did have expectations and didn't expect it to turn out like this but I guess this is reality, haha.
On the other hand I don't really get anything out of this bar still being able to be with her. I don't want to have sex with other people really. I just want her. It is kind of insulting that I'm not good enough for her but I don't want to lose her.

If anything I'm trapped right now. I feel like I've convinced myself this is healthy and she will get bored or grow out of it and stop sleeping around, and she's worth the wait. But I also feel taken advantage of and a glorified **** buddy. But we do have the romantic and emotional aspect.

Sorry this is so long I'm honestly so confused. I don't want to lose my other half but I feel like I'm losing her slowly after every one night stand of hers. Seems inevitably doomed either way :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

If you're unhappy with being in an open relationship then advise you walk away now. It'll hurt for a while but its better than built up resentment and being unhappy with the situation you're in.
Oh and also she hardly seems trust worthy considering she already went and slept with other guys before even bothering to say she wants an open relationship.
I m sorry but it doesnt sound like you both want the same things out of the relationship at all and i agree with Sophiesmall she doesnt sound trustworthy at all.

I know it will hurt but i think you re best cutting your loses and finding a girlfriend who will stay committed to you in a equal relationship. :console:
Reply 4
Tricky situation. If you're not happy and comfortable to stay with her, then tell her how you feel, see if she's willing to make a change for you. If you don't accept her terms, then perhaps you should walk away. I was in a similar situation as your girlfriend, I was seeing a girl and we had a relationship while I was (and still am) having sex with other women on the side because she wasn't good enough and I needed more than one girl to satisfy me, but I didn't tell her about it because I knew she wouldn't approve. Ultimately I had to let her go because I didn't want or need her anymore, I was getting what I needed from the other girls and she was against the idea of an open relationship and I'm much better off without her, she didn't understand my needs. Most people aren't comfortable with the idea of an open relationship because they need to feel like they own the other person for some odd reason. On the one hand, I think it's very selfish to demand from your partner that they only have sex with you (because it's impossible for any person to be satisfied by just one man or woman), but on the other hand you need to do what is best for you. Are you willing to stay in this relationship, do the benefits outweigh the problems? It's a question for you to think about. You're allowed to have your own needs and you're allowed to make demands but you can't expect to always get what you want.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SophieSmall
If you're unhappy with being in an open relationship then advise you walk away now. It'll hurt for a while but its better than built up resentment and being unhappy with the situation you're in.

I'm not unhappy with our situation though; just her situation. It doesn't seem as disconnected but it is. We're fine. I like how she treats me and I like myself with her. I don't have to fight for her love because she's fully committed to me.
It just irks me every now and then that she does what she does. As stupid and bad as it sounds, I don't know if it's worth losing what we have over a little self respect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juicy J
Tricky situation. If you're not happy and comfortable to stay with her, then tell her how you feel, see if she's willing to make a change for you. If you don't accept her terms, then perhaps you should walk away. I was in a similar situation as your girlfriend, I was seeing a girl and we had a relationship while I was (and still am) having sex with other women on the side because she wasn't good enough and I needed more than one girl to satisfy me, but I didn't tell her about it because I knew she wouldn't approve. Most people aren't comfortable with the idea of an open relationship because they need to feel like they own the other person for some odd reason. On the one hand, I think it's very selfish to demand from your partner that they only have sex with you (because it's impossible for any person to be satisfied by just one man or woman), but on the other hand you need to do what is best for you. Are you willing to stay in this relationship, do the benefits outweigh the problems? It's a question for you to think about. You're allowed to have your own needs and you're allowed to make demands but you can't expect to always get what you want.

Thanks for this. Nice to see it from the other perspective.
I'm willing to deal with this until a point I finally do make my plea for her to be just with me. I don't want to put her in a position where she has to choose between me and being her free self; as I am almost certain she will choose the latter. And I don't want to change the dynamics to the point where she continues to sleep with other people and not tell me about it. I feel like her disclosing it is more reassuring.

I feel like the benefits do outweigh the problems but I'd rather not have any problems to begin with. Is it really that much to ask for her to be faithful to me though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SophieSmall
Oh and also she hardly seems trust worthy considering she already went and slept with other guys before even bothering to say she wants an open relationship.

This is very true. In that instance she did cheat on me and I forgave. I really do get scared thinking I enabled her and her behaviour now is just her exploiting that.
But like I said she is a loving girlfriend. We were good friends and romantic together for more or less the entire 2 months. This is real and that just makes it harder to deal with.
Original post by Id and Ego seek
I'm not unhappy with our situation though; just her situation. It doesn't seem as disconnected but it is. We're fine. I like how she treats me and I like myself with her. I don't have to fight for her love because she's fully committed to me.
It just irks me every now and then that she does what she does. As stupid and bad as it sounds, I don't know if it's worth losing what we have over a little self respect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

She's not fully committed. If she was she wouldn't have cheated on you, and wouldn't want an open relationship. Lots of people want to sleep with people other than their partners. They don't, because they love their partners and wouldn't want to hurt them. That is commitment. To be blunt - I think you're trying to talk yourself into accepting this because you love her so much. And you're probably going to say yes to her because when you love someone, it's hard to say no when they are offering you some - any- chance to be with them. But it's going to hurt you in the long run. I agree with the 'cut your losses' view. I wish you the strength to be able to make that difficult decision.
I'm willing to deal with this until a point I finally do make my plea for her to be just with me. I don't want to put her in a position where she has to choose between me and being her free self; as I am almost certain she will choose the latter. And I don't want to change the dynamics to the point where she continues to sleep with other people and not tell me about it. I feel like her disclosing it is more reassuring.

I feel like the benefits do outweigh the problems but I'd rather not have any problems to begin with. Is it really that much to ask for her to be faithful to me though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have some FWBs. If that's not your thing tell her and if the issue isn't resolved just leave lol.

From my perspective there is this girl who is wife material for sure but I don't want to be committed while I'm so young. And would rather just carry on as FWBs until we're both older and we can see how we feel. I don't want any regrets lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand it's a difficult situation to be in. But her sleeping with those men that she has told you about doesn't reflect on you or on your relationship with the girl in question. It's simple a case of her wanting and needing to satisfy her needs. I kind of know what it's like to want someone to be faithful to you, the girls I'm seeing have both been sleeping with other men and at times it does get to me and makes me question the situation that I got myself into. But it's not something that I can control.

Anyway, enough about me. It's good that she has been open with you instead of hiding it from you and you finding out some other way. And you mentioned that you two are like a couple, that there's a romantic connection there and it sounds like everything else is going perfectly except for the matter at hand, which is the open nature of your relationship. It's tricky as I said... It's perfectly natural to want someone to be faithful to you when you're in a relationship but the thing is, this often isn't the case. It's an impossible thing to ask of some people, like me for example, and it seems like that's the case with your girlfriend as well. I do feel for you, it feels horrible and you feel like a glorified f*** buddy which I am sure is not the case, I guarantee you she does not see it like that at all, not one bit. She's with you for a reason, because she wants to be with you, she obviously cares about you. Are you able to separate your relationship with her from the' relationships' (I'm using the term loosely) that she has with other men? It's really difficult to get your head around it sometimes, but it's entirely possible to care about someone and to want to be with them while still needing to have sex with other people. She's not using you.

I can't tell you to just stay with her and ignore everything and pretend like everything is rosy, your feelings are justified and understandable. I can't tell you to leave her, I'm not sure if I'd recommend giving her an ultimatum at this stage. It's your relationship and your understanding of it is far greater than mine. Be sure to take care of your needs and find a way to resolve the issue without getting yourself hurt, it's far from ideal when two people who are in a relationship have vastly contrasting ideas about sex, loyalty, faithfulness, open relationships, call it what you want.

I just realised my post isn't really useful at all. You're better off disregarding my advice to be honest, you should decide whether you're okay with this relationship and most importantly, don't allow yourself to get hurt because this has the potential to cause some huge heartbreak and I don't want that for anyone.
Original post by Anonymous
She's not fully committed. If she was she wouldn't have cheated on you, and wouldn't want an open relationship. Lots of people want to sleep with people other than their partners. They don't, because they love their partners and wouldn't want to hurt them. That is commitment. To be blunt - I think you're trying to talk yourself into accepting this because you love her so much. And you're probably going to say yes to her because when you love someone, it's hard to say no when they are offering you some - any- chance to be with them. But it's going to hurt you in the long run. I agree with the 'cut your losses' view. I wish you the strength to be able to make that difficult decision.

No you're right. You're really right 😪
I just want her to be happy and not limited.
I don't know what the future holds for us. She will either be done with having sex with men on the side, either out of boredom or we could get to a point where we can be so good because I can satisfy all her needs; or we might get to the point where she starts trying to persuade me into threesomes. Regardless, I'm kinda willing to wait it out to see where it develops. You know? She's worth it. I have faith in us.

I'm scared because I don't know what would constitute as 'hurting' me in the long run. I'm already hurt. I can't imagine this ending badly, or more realistically I 'refuse' to imagine this ending badly.

I hate this a lot. Inconsistency and indecisiveness makes me anxious.
If you're not happy now, it's not going to get easier with time.
just be honest with her and tell her what you feel xxxx
I'm sorry, but it sounds to me like you care much more about her than she does about you.

It's your choice, but I know that I could never be happy with an open relationship: it is completely natural for people to want fidelity and monogamy and I do believe that people are capable of happiness and satisfaction with just one partner.

If this were a girl talking about her boyfriend who has cheated on her with multiple women and wants an open relationship because his girlfriend "can't satisfy his heeds" then the responses would have been far less forgiving and we would have seen many more answers along the lines of "You're worth more than him - get rid!", "You deserve better than this!", "Ditch him and find a man who really cares about you!"

Personally, I don't think that this situation is any less manipulative or unbalanced than if it were a heterosexual couple and so my advice is the same: talk to her by all means if you want to, but clearly she doesn't feel that you are enough for her and she will always put her own needs above yours. For your own sake, cut your losses and move on.
Reply 15
You have to tell her how you feel. It's clear you want a normal, exclusive relationship with her. As much as you like her, you shouldn't settle for something that will ultimately make you feel upset deep down. It's tough, but if it doesn't work out, you need to have the strength to keep looking for someone who's right for you.
Original post by Plumstone
I'm sorry, but it sounds to me like you care much more about her than she does about you.

It's your choice, but I know that I could never be happy with an open relationship: it is completely natural for people to want fidelity and monogamy and I do believe that people are capable of happiness and satisfaction with just one partner.

If this were a girl talking about her boyfriend who has cheated on her with multiple women and wants an open relationship because his girlfriend "can't satisfy his heeds" then the responses would have been far less forgiving and we would have seen many more answers along the lines of "You're worth more than him - get rid!", "You deserve better than this!", "Ditch him and find a man who really cares about you!"

Personally, I don't think that this situation is any less manipulative or unbalanced than if it were a heterosexual couple and so my advice is the same: talk to her by all means if you want to, but clearly she doesn't feel that you are enough for her and she will always put her own needs above yours. For your own sake, cut your losses and move on.

But she actually loves and cares about me.
But she actually loves and cares about me.

As I said, it is your choice, but if my boyfriend turned round and said to me that he has cheated and will continue to sleep with other men or women because I am not enough for him, then, even though it would break my heart, I would have to tell him that that is not a compromise I am willing to make.

If you are okay with having an open relationship, then that is your prerogative. From your post, it didn't sound like you were too happy about it and I am simply giving the same answer as I would to anyone in your position.

Obviously I don't know you or your girlfriend or anything about your relationship other than what I have read in this thread, so my advisory ability is limited. All I would say is that if someone sleeps around, fully knowing that they are hurting their partner in doing so, then I have to question how much they really love or care about them.

Good luck with whatever you choose, I genuinely hope that you find happiness on whichever path you take :smile:
I hate this a lot. Inconsistency and indecisiveness makes me anxious.

You said it yourself. Thats not going to go away especially while she is putting her own sexual wants and desires above your emotional needs. Leave it a week or so while you have a think about this, if you still feel the same or worse, then you need to sit down with her and let her know what you need for the relationship to work. At which point, she will either choose random sexual partners over you, in which case you were always going to get hurt or she will chose you. Would leave it a week or so though, have a think :smile:
my advice, if you are uncomfortable with the idea of her with another lad, you need to have this conversation with her. Maybe you do have to give her a ultimatum but don't just sit back and let her walk all over you make a stand tell her how you feel she will most definitely respect you for telling her your feelings.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending