The Student Room Group

Can i transfer courses ??

I'm currently in my first year of an undergraduate social work degree does anyone know if it would be possible for me to transfer onto a childcare related course which would be going back a year? Basically instead of progressing onto 2nd year is it possible to transfer to year 1 of another course?
Original post by Jerry
I'm currently in my first year of an undergraduate social work degree does anyone know if it would be possible for me to transfer onto a childcare related course which would be going back a year? Basically instead of progressing onto 2nd year is it possible to transfer to year 1 of another course?

Well, you basically mean starting university over again...? Yes this is possible. However, the deadline for UCAS applications are over so I have no idea what happens next. You must tell your university you plan to leave. Phone up the unis that you are interested on and they will either A) be in contact with your present university to see whether they can just transfer all your modules, etc etc to your new university. B) they will tell you to apply through UCAS ( if that's still possible) C) or advise you on what the next procedure is.

Luckily I applied via UCAS on the 19th March and I received 4/5 offers. And it's all good. I shall be leaving my current uni to start level 1 again too. You should try and hurry up because all undergraduate courses a redifferent. And because you wanna do something like Childcare and stuff, you might need to get work experience before, have a criminal record checked, interview and etc. If you plan to stay in student accommodation, you bests hurry up as some unis already started last year. Others like my new one will start in a couple of weeks time.

Speak to your uni about it. I'm sure they'll be understanding.
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
However, the deadline for UCAS applications are over so I have no idea what happens next.

Hiya,

Actually, admissions departments work differently to UCAS deadlines. The official guidelines are that the universities don't have to consider you, but most will anyway. If OP or anybody would like to transfer or apply for a new course this late into the academic year, they should contact the uni admission's department.

If OP is going to be doing an internal transfer to a Level 4 course, then it'd be a case of talking to the course leader at that uni.

:yy:
Original post by Roving Fish
Hiya,

Actually, admissions departments work differently to UCAS deadlines. The official guidelines are that the universities don't have to consider you, but most will anyway. If OP or anybody would like to transfer or apply for a new course this late into the academic year, they should contact the uni admission's department.

If OP is going to be doing an internal transfer to a Level 4 course, then it'd be a case of talking to the course leader at that uni.

:yy:

I said UCAS application. I never mentioned that the admissions weren't. If they will apply for Level 1 entry, then they must apply through UCAS. Transfers work differently as the present uni just has to forward all the details to the new uni. (that's my understanding of it - what I got told).
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
I said UCAS application. I never mentioned that the admissions weren't. If they will apply for Level 1 entry, then they must apply through UCAS. Transfers work differently as the present uni just has to forward all the details to the new uni. (that's my understanding of it - what I got told).

Okay, I think that we have different understandings of it. I'm fairly sure you can still apply through UCAS whenever, though it's unlikely unless you're in contact with that uni you'd get a successful application.

Carnationlilyrose
QFA

Carnationlilyrose will know! I've not been through a UCAS training course yet (us mods have that later this year), so I'm just going off personal experience.
Original post by Roving Fish
Okay, I think that we have different understandings of it. I'm fairly sure you can still apply through UCAS whenever, though it's unlikely unless you're in contact with that uni you'd get a successful application.

Carnationlilyrose will know! I've not been through a UCAS training course yet (us mods have that later this year), so I'm just going off personal experience.

Empire Odyssey has it right. It's a new start so it's via Ucas. It's very late in the year for a popular course, though. In all these things, asking before doing something irrevocable is always the best course of action.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending