The Student Room Group

How to explain poor grades in an interview?

Hi,

I'm someone who achieved poor academic results. At GCSE level I got 5Cs and 1B and at A Level 2 Es.

After a year as an apprentice I filled my current position with some adversity. I'm a data analyst and within the department they pretty much exclusively employ graduates. Now within the position I have excelled and this is noted by my managers and colleagues. However due to a lack of career development within the company I am looking to further my career elsewhere.

My question is how do I tackle poor grades in an interview?

In an interview a few weeks ago I explained that I didn't have the motivation at that time and I thrive from practical work however when I asked for feedback my interviewer suggested that I revisit how I word that specific answer.
Original post by anonymousk

Keep it to three straightforward sentences, don't waffle or elaborate

1. Some version of 'I went off the rails a bit as a teenager', 'I was disenchanted with school as a teenager', 'my parents divorced while i was a teenager and I didn't settle well in school' etc

2. Then it all changed when 'I hit my 20s', 'all my friends went off to Uni and I 'grew up'', 'I started working at xxx' or similar

3. No I 'enjoy the workplace environment', 'enjoy the satisfaction of a job well done' etc

Don't start some long-winded sob story about mitigation because your granny caught a cold and your dog got run over the day before your GCSEs. Teenagers call it mitigation, adults call it life and expect you to cope.
Reply 2
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I pretty much answered the question as per the 2nd point. I explained how I didn't have the motivation at the time and now things have changed. Given my performance and knowledge gained during my short work experience this is clear. The interviewer said that as I am young and relatively young/inexperienced, there maybe concerns that the lack of motivation may affect work performance.

As I didn't go to Uni and my only relative prior experience to my current role is an apprenticeship I can see how this would be perceived in the way in which he was suggesting.

I'd just like to make it clear that I was hard on myself with the results and brutally honest. I said it was something that u was ashamed off and didn't try to hide it.

The interviewer claimed that I was being too negative and that I should allow him to come to conclusions about exam results yet my aim from it was to show that I'm now a different person.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by anonymousk
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I pretty much answered the question as per the 2nd point. I explained how I didn't have the motivation at the time and now things have changed. Given my performance and knowledge gained during my short work experience this is clear. The interviewer said that as I am young and relatively young/inexperienced, there maybe concerns that the lack of motivation may affect work performance.

As I didn't go to Uni and my only relative prior experience to my current role is an apprenticeship I can see how this would be perceived in the way in which he was suggesting.

I'd just like to make it clear that I was hard on myself with the results and brutally honest. I said it was something that u was ashamed off and didn't try to hide it.

The interviewer claimed that I was being too negative and that I should allow him to come to conclusions about exam results yet my aim from it was to show that I'm now a different person.

If it bothers you that much you should do an Open University degree or at least some modules.

I have found that trying to find work full-time is made relatively easier when I tell my interviewer that I am studying for a degree at home too, not only does this show that I am mature but shows that I am trying to gain direction in life.

This isn't your only option however, sometimes University isn't for everyone. You can get a graduate with a 1st in a mediocre subject who is terrible at working life, in comparison to a non graduate who prefers a more hands on approach to work and performs in the opposite direction.

I became severely depressed thinking like you are, you're no different to a graduate and there's nothing which makes you differ.

Look at it from a positive angle, at least you are trying to find a good job for yourself. That in itself should be a shining factor considering for the most part, the younger generation is more interested in getting drunk and going on holiday rather than get their heads switched on and looking for a career.
Original post by threeportdrift

Don't start some long-winded sob story about mitigation because your granny caught a cold and your dog got run over the day before your GCSEs. Teenagers call it mitigation, adults call it life and expect you to cope.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Thankyou for making me laugh!!! haha oh god!
Reply 5
Hi thanks for your reply. I think I might have confused things.

I'm delighted with my current situation, I'm a non graduate who is excelling in a position which is pretty much only allocated to graduates. I'm looking to leave my positon as due to my change in goals and what i want to achieve, this role will never help me to realize my potential. So it's not causing me issues, I just wanted a creative way to tackle poor grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending