The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Current First Year Student - Any questions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Indeed, you really shouldn't worry. I literally never go out but rather then avoiding the situation I just said to my flatmates that I don't particularly like it. I find it very boring and expensive. I don't mind going out occasionally but some want to go every couple of days and that I don't see the point of.

Try to meet like minded people, there are gaming societies at Portsmouth and a PC gaming specific society (that isn't technically a society get) out there as well if you are a gaming fanatic like me :biggrin:. And plenty of sport societies, although be warned that going out drinking with your fellow sport society members is pretty much compulsory.

Do you have any specific concerns? But I hope I've helped in some way.
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Reply 21
Original post by raechelle
Before I went to Uni I was much more introverted than I am now (given, I'm still rather extrovert) but I tried to take all the opportunities I could and push myself for new experiences
whilst at the same time respecting my comfort zone.
If you don't feel happy to do that my best advice is to be yourself. You're going to be here for 3+ years and if you're trying to be something you're not it will come out eventually so honestly just be you.
If you don't like going out or if you're shy then work your way up to meeting people and conversations. There are lots of conversation starters and I know people that were happy to sit and watch a movie rather than constantly be on socials all the time.

Once you make friends you'll find your feet and feel more comfortable and come out of your shell a bit more.
Everyone's new so please don't worry about it :smile:

Wow, that makes me feel a lot better.
I guess I'm quite good at making friends when we have a strong common interest so I'm going to plan to sign up to some of the groups and see what happens.

Original post by JonFG
Indeed, you really shouldn't worry. I literally never go out but rather then avoiding the situation I just said to my flatmates that I don't particularly like it. I find it very boring and expensive. I don't mind going out occasionally but some want to go every couple of days and that I don't see the point of.

Try to meet like minded people, there are gaming societies at Portsmouth and a PC gaming specific society (that isn't technically a society get) out there as well if you are a gaming fanatic like me :biggrin:. And plenty of sport societies, although be warned that going out drinking with your fellow sport society members is pretty much compulsory.

Do you have any specific concerns? But I hope I've helped in some way.

There is a PC Gaming Society :O, sounds like my sorta thing :smile: If you have any information then I will gladly take it. I'm also not a fan of going out all the time but I like to every now and then.

I'm not great at sports but I don't know, I still find things like Rounders kinda fun so we will see :smile:.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by _woah_
Wow, that makes me feel a lot better.
I guess I'm quite good at making friends when we have a strong common interest so I'm going to plan to sign up to some of the groups and see what happens.

The one thing I've always said to people as well is that there are thousands of students all around Portsmouth.. if you end up being friends with someone and later on realise there's not that much of a connection or you're maybe not suited then don't be afraid to make new friends.

In my Fresher's I made friends with someone so loud and vibrant and I thought she was great and made friends with people similar. Then I realised we weren't on the same page and so I met more people on my course instead & I have no regrets about sticking with more likeminded people :smile:
The people I've kept in touch with now (I've graduated but am staying on to do a post-grad) are the people most like me
Reply 23
Original post by raechelle
The one thing I've always said to people as well is that there are thousands of students all around Portsmouth.. if you end up being friends with someone and later on realise there's not that much of a connection or you're maybe not suited then don't be afraid to make new friends.

In my Fresher's I made friends with someone so loud and vibrant and I thought she was great and made friends with people similar. Then I realised we weren't on the same page and so I met more people on my course instead & I have no regrets about sticking with more likeminded people :smile:
The people I've kept in touch with now (I've graduated but am staying on to do a post-grad) are the people most like me

I expect you will probably find this dull but I might as well give this thread a resolution of sorts.

So my neighbor (single studio rooms) couldn't get his internet to work and so his Mum came round and asked me if I knew the wifi password. I basically went in and helped him set up his PC and Xbox and then later on his Speakers. Today we went around portsmouth and basically 'adventured' around so that was kinda nice, as well as talking about all the sitcoms we both liked. So yeah, kinda worked out quite well due to random chance. I don't feel quite so doomed anymore. Thanks you guys for your help though, really put me in a good mood which probably was what helped me not look like a miserable git :P
Original post by _woah_
I expect you will probably find this dull but I might as well give this thread a resolution of sorts.

So my neighbor (single studio rooms) couldn't get his internet to work and so his Mum came round and asked me if I knew the wifi password. I basically went in and helped him set up his PC and Xbox and then later on his Speakers. Today we went around portsmouth and basically 'adventured' around so that was kinda nice, as well as talking about all the sitcoms we both liked. So yeah, kinda worked out quite well due to random chance. I don't feel quite so doomed anymore. Thanks you guys for your help though, really put me in a good mood which probably was what helped me not look like a miserable git :P

Ah that's awesome! I'm so so happy for you :biggrin:
I'm speaking to some other Fresher's to help them find their feet and some are finding it a bit awkward/not sure what to do so it's so lovely to here of people getting along well! Ahh I'm also so excited for the next few years to come - I've loved every minute of Portsmouth!
Hey! I'm a first year student and I was wondering if there was a place close to Trafalgar where I can post letters? I can't remember seeing a postbox anywhere while walking about. Thanks {:
Reply 26
Original post by Unic0rn_H0bbit
Hey! I'm a first year student and I was wondering if there was a place close to Trafalgar where I can post letters? I can't remember seeing a postbox anywhere while walking about. Thanks {:

I feel your pain, it took me ages to find the closest one. Its on the way to the Student Union. On the corner of St Pauls Road.
is this book the eighth edition?
and if so is it still available?

cheers,
alex

Original post by JonFG
Hello there,

I believe all the textbooks are all listed online. I am also selling all my old books so if anyone needs them then feel free to ask. Some will now be old editions but loads of people use old editions as they are cheaper and not that different.

The books I used last year were:

Accounting and Finance: An Introduction by Eddie McLaney and Peter Atrill

Essentials of Economics by John Slogan and Dean Garratt. They do use this book but it is awful. I absolutely recommend that you use A Level books for Economics as they are better at explaining stuff then this book.

Introduction to Business Law by Lucy Jones

Organizational Behaviour by Andrzej A. Huczynski and David A. Buchanan. This is one of many books you can use for Organisational Behaviour, a part of Organisational Management Accounting.

The is also a study book for Toolbox but it is NEVER used. So don't even bother buying it as it's a waste of money.

Hope this helps and if you want my books then let me know.
Original post by JonFG
Hi all, this time last year I was quite nervous about what to expect in September. Honestly it's not as bad as you may think, and I'm the nervous type haha.People helped me last year on this site, so I thought I would do the same. I will be looking at this thread all the way til September so please ask me any questions, no matter how small.A bit about myself. I live in Trafalgar Halls at the moment and they are the best but also the most expensive Halls in Portsmouth. I do Accounting and Finance so I can answer some questions about the Business School here at Portsmouth.So ask away :biggrin:
Hi :biggrin:I'm applying to Portsmouth for psychology with the placement year and wondered if you knew anyone who does the course? I just wanted to find out a bit more about it like how hard it is, what sorts of books I should get and what study I should do in advance. Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending