The Student Room Group

IGCSE CIE English Language

Okay so this is pretty last minute since the exams in 5 1/2 hours:eek: But basically I was wondering if anyone knew if for Question 3a (the summary) we could write more than 15 points? Like if we wrote down 17 points would they all get marked?

Also if you put two points into the same bullet point would they be marked individually or would you get one mark overall?

Thanks and good luck :smile:
Original post by JuliaM1998
Okay so this is pretty last minute since the exams in 5 1/2 hours:eek: But basically I was wondering if anyone knew if for Question 3a (the summary) we could write more than 15 points? Like if we wrote down 17 points would they all get marked?

Also if you put two points into the same bullet point would they be marked individually or would you get one mark overall?

Each bullet point should be written seperately.
I have no idea about how many you can write, in my mock I did 17 and 2 of them were wrong so I got 15 still...
However, I was told the examiner *may* only mark the first 15 so I'm just going to do maybe 1/2 over if I'm unsure.

Good luck!
Reply 2

my teacher said 17 points at the very least so go for it!

how are you revising for it?
to get 5/5 in 3(b) the markscheme says you have to include all 15 points from 3(a), so wouldn't writing more than 15 points in 3(a) either make you more likely to get 4/5 or more likely to exceed the word limit?
but good luck whatever you choose to do! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by marmalade624
to get 5/5 in 3(b) the markscheme says you have to include all 15 points from 3(a), so wouldn't writing more than 15 points in 3(a) either make you more likely to get 4/5 or more likely to exceed the word limit?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have got the new spec paper, just waiting for admin to allow post with external link
Original post by Mahel
my teacher said 17 points at the very least so go for it!

how are you revising for it?

Have you guys been watching Mr.Bruff?

He has a playlist which has a video on each question, I found it helpful. You may too he goes through what you have to do with each one.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqGFsWf-P-cA1Feep0JAD8iFDNlBRII3j

i just watched it for some last minute revision, now going to do a paper.

Good luck to everyone!
I'm bad at english. For my writing i got 33/50. And for speaking I got 20/30. I'm aiming to get a B as my overall grade. Can someone please tell me how many marks I would need to get C or B as my overall grade!!
I was told that only the first 15 in the box is marked. Everything else is ignored. This was done for me at my mock. So be careful. We were told to write them in pencil first then go over in pen, since apparently anything outside the box is not marked. :/

I did this last year and got an a* so hopefully I'll be of some help!

My teacher recommended at least 18 points to try and cover the 15 marks you need, as you see from the mark scheme there are more than 15 points anyway. Also as it's a summary you'll want it as short as possible, I believe under a page or you'll lose marks? So you need to be putting points together in a sentence to make a coherent Paragraph. Don't bullet point as this will lose you marks.
Good luck!
Reply 9
Does anyone have a link for the March 2015 examiner report? I can find the paper and mark scheme but not the examiner report. Thanks :smile:
You can only get marked for 15 but putting 17 is a good idea, if you combine the last two points they will still Mark it as two. You can only technically get 15 marks though.
I'd be disappointed with 99%
(edited 8 years ago)
Stay inside the word limit/space given and you'll be fine. You can put more than 15 points - the examiner doesn't stop marking after the first 15 as they have to read the whole thing. Nonetheless, even if you have more than 15 correct points your content mark will still be capped at 15. Make sure you write in continuous prose and adhere to the word limit, as well as avoiding careless SPAG errors, in order to maximise your style marks.

Had a look round for the examiners' report, but even teachers only have access to the mark schemes, inserts and question papers at present.
Reply 13
Original post by Angelil
Stay inside the word limit/space given and you'll be fine. You can put more than 15 points - the examiner doesn't stop marking after the first 15 as they have to read the whole thing. Nonetheless, even if you have more than 15 correct points your content mark will still be capped at 15. Make sure you write in continuous prose and adhere to the word limit, as well as avoiding careless SPAG errors, in order to maximise your style marks.

Had a look round for the examiners' report, but even teachers only have access to the mark schemes, inserts and question papers at present.

do you think that the grade boundaries will be higher than last year? As Q3 seems to be much easier in 15 bullet points
I think they'll be lower if people's comments on Q1 are anything to go by - sounded like a horrible task to me.
Haven't seen the paper yet, but my students seemed a bit shaky after it today. After reading comments on here, I understand why!
Will try to have a look at the paper tomorrow and get back to you all if I have any further comments.
Original post by Angelil
I think they'll be lower if people's comments on Q1 are anything to go by - sounded like a horrible task to me.
Haven't seen the paper yet, but my students seemed a bit shaky after it today. After reading comments on here, I understand why!
Will try to have a look at the paper tomorrow and get back to you all if I have any further comments.

Last years boundaries were so low! Wasn't it 68% for an A?
Reply 16
Oh thank you so much, you are so kind

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending