The Student Room Group

How do I tell him I don't want to be in a relationship and stay how we are?

Bad title, I know, sorry!

This might be long, but here goes;

I met a guy online and we talked for like a week before meeting. I was previously a virgin, and, at risk of sounding like an incredibly selfish person, only really intended to have sex and lose my virgin status. I have never been in a relationship so far, by choice as I'm an incredibly independent person and just cannot imagine maintaining that independence and being in a relationship (if this helps, I also thought I was aromantic, if that's the right term, at one point, that's how much the idea of a relationship turns me off). So I assumed the guy would just be up for sex, too, for a few reasons:
- We met on Tinder
- We didn't talk too much before deciding on meeting
- We met at my house for a movie, and smoked weed earlier
- He didn't seem like a romantic person at all
So I never suspected for one moment that he'd be the one that would seem so keen for this to develop, but he's even looked for and got a job a few days after we first met up so he could pay for dates (even though I expressly told him I'm not comfortable with someone paying for me, and I'd rather pay for myself) and keeps dropping hints about us being together in the future.

We've been talking every day since then, and he's called me every night and talked for an hour/two hours almost consistently (I hinted once that I don't like phone calls, but was too nice to follow through, and to be honest, I do enjoy them once we actually talk for a while).

We constantly text every day (even if I take ages to reply, another reason I don't want to be in a relationship, I enjoy texting but I hate the fact that someone would get upset, or suspicious etc. if I don't reply for ages, I want to be able to enjoy myself without checking my phone constantly).

The scariest thing is that he's started comparing me to his last relationships and partners, saying "I've never met anyone like you," and other pretty significant compliments that you wouldn't say to someone you only see a short term relationship with.

As we talk I'm hyper conscious of the fact that I'm being too nice, and I haven't given him much indication that I'm not interested in a relationship since we've only spoken by phone since then, and about light subjects, so it'd be awkward if I suddenly dropped in that I don't want a relationship or whatever. Plus, this is the kind of thing you should talk about in person, and we already have our next meeting planned for a few days, anyway. So I definitely could be said to be leading him on, unfortunately!

Anyway, the sex was really good, and I'd be interested in meeting again for only that reason, and depending on how much he's fallen for me, he might be, too, but I don't know how to let him know that I definitely don't want a relationship without hurting his feelings? He's a genuinely nice guy, and if I was ever to get into a relationship with someone it'd probably be him.

So, what should I do? I probably will wait until Friday when we meet to explain this, as I'm definite it's best said face to face, but how on earth do I approach this subject and what do I say? I don't want him to be upset, but I need to be clear about this, and hopefully without at least ruining the friendship as he is a genuinely cool guy.
Tell him you want to keep him as a friend with benefits for the time being and don't forget to tell him to stay single until the day you realise relationships are not that bad and that you probably won't do any better.
Reply 2
Original post by SuckMeBeautiful
Tell him you want to keep him as a friend with benefits for the time being and don't forget to tell him to stay single until the day you realise relationships are not that bad and that you probably won't do any better.

Thanks for replying!
I don't know how serious you are with this response, but I'm going to assume you don't mean to come across as patronising as you did :smile:
I don't really like the term "friends with benefits", and I wouldn't mind just friends, but I assume he would prefer to have a sexual side to it, since being "friendzoned" is something a lot of guys seem to fear, and I'm not opposed to the idea, either.
And I'm not being short sighted, I know that relationships and me don't mix and I think it's wiser of me to not attempt them instead of having it result in a disastrous relationship. Maybe I will want one in the future, but I'm mature enough, I think, to know what i want and don't want. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for replying!
I don't know how serious you are with this response, but I'm going to assume you don't mean to come across as patronising as you did :smile:
I don't really like the term "friends with benefits", and I wouldn't mind just friends, but I assume he would prefer to have a sexual side to it, since being "friendzoned" is something a lot of guys seem to fear, and I'm not opposed to the idea, either.
And I'm not being short sighted, I know that relationships and me don't mix and I think it's wiser of me to not attempt them instead of having it result in a disastrous relationship. Maybe I will want one in the future, but I'm mature enough, I think, to know what i want and don't want. :smile:

You don't want to enter a relationship incase it ****s up?

Comeon... You're missing out on a lot with that attitude. It can't possibly be that bad. I know... You have a mental problem with relationships, but the only way to solve that is to try and develop a decent one and why not try and do that with this guy if he's so into you; you enjoy the sex; and you somewhat enjoy chatting with him?

At least if it's all just uber-horrible then you know "**** this doesn't work for me" and can just call it quits on the relationship thing. But you haven't even properly tried it yet?
Reply 4
Original post by TorpidPhil
You don't want to enter a relationship incase it ****s up?

Comeon... You're missing out on a lot with that attitude. It can't possibly be that bad. I know... You have a mental problem with relationships, but the only way to solve that is to try and develop a decent one and why not try and do that with this guy if he's so into you; you enjoy the sex; and you somewhat enjoy chatting with him?

At least if it's all just uber-horrible then you know "**** this doesn't work for me" and can just call it quits on the relationship thing. But you haven't even properly tried it yet?

Well, I get where you're coming from, but I have to disagree. The logic isn't very good, it's like telling someone that hates cats that they should just try owning one, maybe it's not so bad, or someone who says they aren't attracted to men to give it a try. Pretty abstract examples, but hopefully you understand?

I probably will at some point want a relationship, and to be honest I do think I have some sort of commitment issue, but forcing myself into a relationship isn't going to solve them, I don't think. I'd rather wait until I really want one. I don't regret my decisions so far, so it's not like what I'm doing is hurting myself, I am very happy with my life as a single person.

Plus, getting into a relationship involves two people, so if I were to realise just how awful it was afterwards, it wouldn't just be me that experiences whatever negative emotions follow.

I appreciate your input, though, and I see where you're coming from :-D
Original post by Anonymous
Well, I get where you're coming from, but I have to disagree. The logic isn't very good, it's like telling someone that hates cats that they should just try owning one, maybe it's not so bad, or someone who says they aren't attracted to men to give it a try. Pretty abstract examples, but hopefully you understand?

I probably will at some point want a relationship, and to be honest I do think I have some sort of commitment issue, but forcing myself into a relationship isn't going to solve them, I don't think. I'd rather wait until I really want one. I don't regret my decisions so far, so it's not like what I'm doing is hurting myself, I am very happy with my life as a single person.

Plus, getting into a relationship involves two people, so if I were to realise just how awful it was afterwards, it wouldn't just be me that experiences whatever negative emotions follow.

I appreciate your input, though, and I see where you're coming from :-D

If you'e never seen a cat or seen a man in real life and only heard about then yet nonetheless have a phobia/anxiety about them, then yes, I would tell you to set up a controlled environment that you can escape from incase it goes haywire and try it out nonetheless. I used to be scared of dogs really bad when I was young but every year we went up to Scotland and slept in my aunts house in which there were three dogs. As you can imagine at first I was ****ing terrified - immobilised with fear and constantly paranoid. But eventually I realised, actually, these beasts are cool. They are empathetic generally well-intentioned to people who aren't dicks to them and have very predictable behaviour and are super cute. Now I have a dog of my own. Obviously sexuality is different as it is not an anxiety. However, I do believe a lot of asexuals and aromantics are not innately so, rather it is a manifestation of a particular or a set of anxieties that they have with sex/romance. So I'm not sure your analogies work.

The best way to overcome any irrational anxiety/fear is to face it. Ridiculously hard I know; you need to set-up the right scenario for that to happen, but how else will you ever do it? It's awkward because right now you obviously don't see the value in ever pursuing romance anyway so you will have little motivation to get rid of that anxiety... But if only.

Yes... Inevitably if it fails you'll hurt him. But, you're going to hurt him anyway rejecting him on the basis of you not wanting romance. He'll likely just think he's not good enough for you and then it will be even worse if you keep having sex with him because he'll think you're just using him and start to resent you and probably feel bad about what he did with you in the past. Maybe... I don't know, that's how I'de feel anyway. Some people are fine going around with 4 FWBs simultaneously though... But from his texts it doesn't seem like he is, right?

At least if you give a go and it fails he'll see that it just won't work and he'll be able to accept that and move on without being distraught.
Reply 6
Original post by TorpidPhil
If you'e never seen a cat or seen a man in real life and only heard about then yet nonetheless have a phobia/anxiety about them, then yes, I would tell you to set up a controlled environment that you can escape from incase it goes haywire and try it out nonetheless. I used to be scared of dogs really bad when I was young but every year we went up to Scotland and slept in my aunts house in which there were three dogs. As you can imagine at first I was ****ing terrified - immobilised with fear and constantly paranoid. But eventually I realised, actually, these beasts are cool. They are empathetic generally well-intentioned to people who aren't dicks to them and have very predictable behaviour and are super cute. Now I have a dog of my own. Obviously sexuality is different as it is not an anxiety. However, I do believe a lot of asexuals and aromantics are not innately so, rather it is a manifestation of a particular or a set of anxieties that they have with sex/romance. So I'm not sure your analogies work.

The best way to overcome any irrational anxiety/fear is to face it. Ridiculously hard I know; you need to set-up the right scenario for that to happen, but how else will you ever do it? It's awkward because right now you obviously don't see the value in ever pursuing romance anyway so you will have little motivation to get rid of that anxiety... But if only.

Yes... Inevitably if it fails you'll hurt him. But, you're going to hurt him anyway rejecting him on the basis of you not wanting romance. He'll likely just think he's not good enough for you and then it will be even worse if you keep having sex with him because he'll think you're just using him and start to resent you and probably feel bad about what he did with you in the past. Maybe... I don't know, that's how I'de feel anyway. Some people are fine going around with 4 FWBs simultaneously though... But from his texts it doesn't seem like he is, right?

At least if you give a go and it fails he'll see that it just won't work and he'll be able to accept that and move on without being distraught.

Again I appreciate your reply, but I disagree with quite a few things here. I for a while did think I was asexual, and there's no trauma or anxiety behind it, I just am not particularly interested in sex. I could see myself living my life without it with no issues.
Also, I wouldn't describe my disinterest in relationships as an anxiety or fear, it's just something I don't want to do. I have friends who already take up most of my time, not that I'm complaining, and a boyfriend is just something else to juggle. If I ever get lonely I'll consider it, but right now I genuinely see no point to a relationship, apart from that it's something everyone seems to expect everyone to want/have.
Maybe the way I described myself makes it seem as though I'm suffering from an irrational fear? If so, that was a misunderstanding, I'm perfectly happy! :smile:
And I never thought about him feeling bad about that. I'm very sensitive to that kind of thing and if he ever did show signs of being hurt I'd definitely stop it. I'm only considering FWB because I assumed that's what guys would prefer to pure friendship. As I said earlier, I could live without it, it doesn't particularly matter to me whether or not I get any sex out of this or not :')
And in regards to to the texts, he's the kind of person that would love that situation normally, I think, but he seems to have developed some pretty strong feelings towards me, and keeps dropping hints about a kind of future together. So that's where I'm stuck, would he still rather be "friends with benefits" (loath as I am to use that phrase) or "friendzoned" (Again another phrase I can't stand).
You can't tell him this all without hurting his feelings if he's really into you. If he gets so upset that he will decide to stop speaking to you just hit Tinder again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending