The Student Room Group

Did anyone apply to UCL Academy Sixth Form?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by sebsword
-Main
Physics
Computer Science
Maths
Further Maths

-Reserves
Biology
Chemistry

Pretty much all of the STEM subjects which the school didn't seem to mind too much, despite encouraging us to take at least one 'non-stem' subject for breadth.

What about you? (or anyone else)

Good luck! Seems like a challenging set of subjects.

I went for Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology. The reserves were Physics and Economics.
Original post by rhadawey
I went for Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology. The reserves were Physics and Economics.

How was it? the school seemed pretty decent to me, I was a bit disappointed with the style of the day overall though, it just seemed like a second opening evening. I would've preferred to do more detailed 'taster lessons' so I could actually get a feel of what the subject would be like, the only thing that worried me in the end was maths, nobody seemed to have too much of a grasp on some of the basic concepts but I'm just putting that down to the nerves since everyone seemed to be pretty shy.
Reply 22
How was it? the school seemed pretty decent to me, I was a bit disappointed with the style of the day overall though, it just seemed like a second opening evening. I would've preferred to do more detailed 'taster lessons' so I could actually get a feel of what the subject would be like, the only thing that worried me in the end was maths, nobody seemed to have too much of a grasp on some of the basic concepts but I'm just putting that down to the nerves since everyone seemed to be pretty shy.

I think it was because everyone was shy. I found it alright, but too many stairs lol. I found it a bit awkward in Maths though... Too many boys and not a lot of girls. I thought I was going to be the only girl for the session until two others stepped in. I have a feeling that not many girls will be taking mechanics with me :frown: I got lost as well, I decided to follow the computer science group accidentally LOOL
I found it a bit awkward in Maths though... Too many boys and not a lot of girls. I thought I was going to be the only girl for the session until two others stepped in. I have a feeling that not many girls will be taking mechanics with me :frown: I got lost as well, I decided to follow the computer science group accidentally LOOL

When did you go to maths? There were two classes and it was open every period so maybe you just got into the class with very little girls, I went sociology last and it seemed to be the complete opposite, very few boys, but I doubt you'll end up being the only girl taking mechanics, after all its UCL so everyone is supposed to have at least some enthusiasm for those type of subjects, the physics teacher did also indicate that a lot of girls do indeed take her subjects (physics also has a module on mechanics). For computer science I did end up going but the teacher didn't seem to be prepared and just gave us some circuit board to look at, like that is going to interest anybody XD
When did you go to maths? There were two classes and it was open every period so maybe you just got into the class with very little girls, I went sociology last and it seemed to be the complete opposite, very few boys, but I doubt you'll end up being the only girl taking mechanics, after all its UCL so everyone is supposed to have at least some enthusiasm for those type of subjects, the physics teacher did also indicate that a lot of girls do indeed take her subjects (physics also has a module on mechanics). For computer science I did end up going but the teacher didn't seem to be prepared and just gave us some circuit board to look at, like that is going to interest anybody XD

I already planned to pick computer science anyway, but the computer science teacher was really bad and unprepared he kept asking "any questions" over and over again
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Sanderm1
I already planned to pick computer science anyway, but the computer science teacher was really bad and unprepared he kept asking "any questions" over and over again

I know right, luckily I had already came with my mindset on choosing the subject, otherwise he might have been enough to make me reconsider, he also told us to start preparing now, and who knows I might take his advice start learning python, but he seems like the type of teacher that relies too heavily on external software and websites to teach the class instead of actually putting in much effort, I mean his own students basically delivered the presentation for him...
Reply 26

I went in the second session. I'm aware but all the girls I talked to aren't doing Maths, apart from one and she plans to do statistics. She also said she knows 2 other girls planning to do statistics. Yeah I probably won't, but it wouldn't come as a shock to me if I will be haha. I didn't quite mind the layout, I think Biology was my least favourite though. Maybe it's just because it was extremely awkward in the Classroom because it was everyone's first session lol. People seem to be nice though, I had a chat with someone who was studying abroad and planning to attend UCL academy while we were waiting for the principle to talk to us in the end which was interesting. Ah that sucks, well at the end of your day you're responsible for your education no matter how good/bad your teacher is, you seem bright so I'm sure you'll excel!
Hey guys, I didn't get to go to the taster day because I was abroad, could you tell me what you thought of the school? I have no idea where to go for sixth form, so all opinions are helpful!
Original post by Leilachent
Hey guys, I didn't get to go to the taster day because I was abroad, could you tell me what you thought of the school? I have no idea where to go for sixth form, so all opinions are helpful!

What subjects were you planning on taking?

The quality of lessons was really inconsistent, computer science for me was the worst (it was the subject I was most excited for), and despite having no intention of picking it, sociology ended up being the best by far. Overall impressions of the day were average, but then again I have nothing to compare it to since it is the first and only taster day I will attend.
Thanks for replying!

I'm picking A level chemistry, biology, psychology and As level sociology so I'm glad the sociology was good.

I haven't attended any taster days for any sixth forms, and I'm worried I'm going to plunge into a school I won't like, which sucks lol.

How was it bad? Were the teachers not organised and stuff??

I'm also debating whether ucl is better or worse than say Holland Park sixth form (I'm an internal student there) or Chelsea academy sixth form. What do you think?
Thanks for replying!
I'm also debating whether ucl is better or worse than say Holland Park sixth form (I'm an internal student there) or Chelsea academy sixth form. What do you think?

For me it is all about results, after all sixth-form is really only an interlude between secondary and uni, and for results I would advise you check this league table.

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/li/sixth_form.compare.London/?sort=PTGRADEAAB2_ALEV

Although it likely is too late to apply to many of the schools, you will see Holland Park (excluding the independent schools) is consistently one of the best performing sixth-forms in London for the % of students achieving AAB or higher (which is a true test of a sixth-form as pass rates are relatively unimportant)

Chelsea Academy is one of the worst and I would encourage you to avoid that school if you are serious about your education, it is where all of the jokers from my school will probably be going.

As for UCL while you will see posts about it being a new school and therefore unreliable, you can see from the league table that it can definitely deliver results, while they are not the best results, they are still better than a notable few such as Chelsea academy and Burlington Danes (supposedly good schools), considering the school specializes in STEM (considered the hardest of subjects) and is already performing well is a good sign, there is also the fact that as a new school it is likely that their results will only further improve.

TL : DR

Holland Park 39% AAB
UCL 19% AAB
Chelsea Academy 7% AAB

I myself would've went to Holland Park if it not for 2 reasons, my friends didn't get in and they still haven't accepted or declined me yet... Unless you have strong reasons not to go there (seeing as you are an internal student) it is the best choice from the list, easily one of the best in London if not the UK, UCL is also a good choice and from what I've seen you can do equally well there but the final decision you will have to make.
(edited 8 years ago)
For me it is all about results, after all sixth-form is really only an interlude between secondary and uni, and for results I would advise you check this league table.

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/li/sixth_form.compare.London/?sort=PTGRADEAAB2_ALEV

Although it likely is too late to apply to many of the schools, you will see Holland Park (excluding the independent schools) is consistently one of the best performing sixth-forms in London for the % of students achieving AAB or higher (which is a true test of a sixth-form as pass rates are relatively unimportant)

Chelsea Academy is one of the worst and I would encourage you to avoid that school if you are serious about your education, it is where all of the jokers from my school will probably be going.

As for UCL while you will see posts about it being a new school and therefore unreliable, you can see from the league table that it can definitely deliver results, while they are not the best results, they are still better than a notable few such as Chelsea academy and Burlington Danes (supposedly good schools), considering the school specializes in STEM (considered the hardest of subjects) and is already performing well is a good sign, there is also the fact that as a new school it is likely that their results will only further improve.

TL : DR

Holland Park 39% AAB
UCL 19% AAB
Chelsea Academy 7% AAB

I myself would've went to Holland Park if it not for 2 reasons, my friends didn't get in and they still haven't accepted or declined me yet... Unless you have strong reasons not to go there (seeing as you are an internal student) it is the best choice from the list, easily one of the best in London if not the UK, UCL is also a good choice and from what I've seen you can do equally well there but the final decision you will have to make.

Thank you so much for providing me with all that information. I will most likely stay at Holland Park given the results from the league table, although I feel like the stimulation of a new environment would be nice. Like you said, it's about how hard the student works. We shall see! :smile:
Reply 32
Thank you so much for providing me with all that information. I will most likely stay at Holland Park given the results from the league table, although I feel like the stimulation of a new environment would be nice. Like you said, it's about how hard the student works. We shall see! :smile:

Was planning on going to Holland Park but I missed the application deadline :s-smilie:. The only offer I have is for Chelsea Academy but I don't see any schools clearly better than that near me :frown:
Original post by AAls
Was planning on going to Holland Park but I missed the application deadline :s-smilie:. The only offer I have is for Chelsea Academy but I don't see any schools clearly better than that near me :frown:

Yikes I'm sorry to hear that. Like previously mentioned however, if you work hard independently, than you can still get your desired grades! So don't stress yourself too much!

To be fair the application deadline for Holland Park was really early :s
Reply 34
Yikes I'm sorry to hear that. Like previously mentioned however, if you work hard independently, than you can still get your desired grades! So don't stress yourself too much!

To be fair the application deadline for Holland Park was really early :s

Yeah. Was surprised when I saw that September deadline. My old school was very average but I feel that it didn't make a great difference because a lot of what I learned came from outside lessons.
Does anyone know UCL Academy's A*/A percentages for 2015 (or even 2014)?
Original post by mathsinsider
Does anyone know UCL Academy's A*/A percentages for 2015 (or even 2014)?

I've looked around and I can't really find anything, but I was emailed a newsletter from them a few days ago saying that the pass rate this year was 100%. As in everyone got an A*-C.
Reply 37
Who got in? And who's going?
Who got in? And who's going?

I got in but i'm not going as they have terrible results. You gonna go there or go to woodhouse? Iwanted to go woodhouse but am on the waiting list ;(
Original post by AliRizzo
I know a close friend who went there and was made a guinea pig. Go to woodhouse. Trust me you won't regret it.

FYI the results of woodhouse are only an inch better than UCL, that school is really over hyped, if you have to pick between the two and you are passionate about STEM subjects I would pick UCL over woodhouse.

Quick Reply

Latest