The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can apply after you receive your A2 results however if you do decide to apply after results day then you may not find that you can get onto any courses that you wanted to do or go to the Uni that you had in mind because they may not have enough places for you.

Having said this it can be worth a shot - I had a friend who applied for dentistry and got rejected by all 4 choices although he still had offers for his backup choice. On results day he ended up with 3 As so he phoned up Birmingham and they had a place available due to some people not making their grades thus they were able to give him a spot. However this does not always happen and my suggestion would be to apply through UCAS now just to have a safety net. On results day you can always try phone the Uni you want to go to and see if they have any spots available and if they do then you can talk to your firm and insurance about releasing you so you can go to your desired Uni.
Reply 2
I think the OP meant applying the year after they'd received their A level results, so that would be like someone who received their results in summer applying now
Im doing it if i dont get an offer i really want this year. I'm doing a gap year anyway so it wont make a difference.
Reply 4
Yeah, I meant applying through UCAS having already received A2 results as opposed to applying at the beginning of yr13.

I don't think Oxford do clearing... lol, but hey, y'never know...

I'm personally doing it as a result of not getting an offer I want. Or rather, *the* offer I want :P This year was more like "might as well apply for the sake of it" as I've had to take a lot of time off, so applying after my final results gives me a better understanding of where I stand as well as the option to resit the year [if necessary].
Reply 5
i got one offer last year out of 6, reapplied and, although rejected from cambridge, have got an offer from everywhere by december - believe me, it's soooo much easier when you already have your grades!
Plenty of people apply after they've got their results because they didn't get an offer they really wanted/any offers they were happy with/any offers full stop, because they decided they'd chosen the wrong unis/course, because they did better than expected and wanted to go to a better uni, because they did worse than expected and didn't meet their offers etc etc. As long as you've got something half decent planned for a gap year, it's a good idea because you may be more likely to get offers with concrete grades as opposed to predictions that are often wrong and you won't have the stress of needing to get certain grades in your exams.
Reply 7
Done it twice now. :smile:
I applied after my A-level results :smile:
Reply 9
Yeah, I too have applied having sat my A2s. I think if you do this with straight A's at A Level it's a huge advantage, anything less and, should you be applying for competitive courses, they might pick someone predicted AAA over you.
Reply 10
hanby
Yeah, I too have applied having sat my A2s. I think if you do this with straight A's at A Level it's a huge advantage, anything less and, should you be applying for competitive courses, they might pick someone predicted AAA over you.

not neccessarily, I think there's something reassuring in knowing that someone has AAB on the table now than predicted AAA. People can, as I have done, miss their predictons.

I think you have a benefit applying post results anyway, you're more likely to pick more realistic courses knowing what you've already acheived even if it wasn't AAA.
Reply 11
Yey :biggrin: Thanks for the responses people, tis much clearer in my mind's eye now.
i'm doing this on my gap year. i had a good place to read english at leeds (the offer was AAB), but actually got AAA for my a-levels. i deferred entry to leeds, and was intending to go, but during my gap year i've got SO attached to living in london, my friends here and the idea of moving in with them. i love london so much and don't want to leave - so i cancelled my place at leeds and have reapplied! it's worth doing if you end up with good grades at A2, otherwise deferred entry may be more your thing. i know for sure that doing UCAS twice has been a lot of work and very time consuming, and waiting for acceptances/rejections two years in a row is very nerve racking :frown: if i don't get into any of my london choices this year i'll be really sad!
Reply 13
Im doing it on my gap year too, i couldnt go to uni this year (motorbike accident) so i had to apply for next year. Its much nicer to be getting unconditionals and being able to prepare for interviews without worrying about exams/school work. :smile:
I'm applying post A-level. I had an offer to study French and Politics at Bristol, and met the grades but on results day decided I really didnt want to go there. So I'm applying this year, and its sooo much easier! You dont have to worry about "oh but I might not get an A in French" and "what if I muck up English?". You get unconditional offers, and then you can just pick the one you most want to go to. Also, someone who has, for example, AAB at A-level, is at an advantage to someone who is just predicted AAB, as predicted grades aren't very reliable.
I did :smile:

I applied in 2005/2006, for a place in autumn 2007. Got a place at Warwick, my top uni. Then I got my results and decided that I may as well have a bash at Cambridge. So I re-applied. Got rejected from Cam, but like as not am off to York now :biggrin:

It is good because - you know where you stand, there is no agnising wait for results, you don't have to worry about exams etc. And often, unis are more likely to give you an offer because the doubt about your performance is removed. Less hit and miss

It is bad because - sometimes unis are funny about giving you a second offer (Warwick keep asking me for additional info about my gap year), you have to take a gap year, the element of, "well, they mght get AAA so lets give then an offer" is removed so sometimes unis won't give you an offer that might have if you had the potential for better results etc.

However, I have no regrets. And I'm now going to the same university as my boyfriend, so BONUS!
I did it, and it's seriously paid off with a place at Durham, which is like the uni I always dreamt about going to and wished I could go there, but previously, didn't have the grades. It's also great being able to earn some money; I'm getting over £1.2k a month at the moment!! I'm gonna have 10 grand to blow on Freshers' Week :biggrin: ... But seriously, it's nice to get paid and think "Well, that's half a year's tuition paid for and out the way"! Also, preparing for interview was much better with Cambridge, and now I know after trying my best that it truly isn't for me.
Reply 17
im plannign to apply to university after my a2 results
OMG wow i never knew this was possible:eek:

if i get better grads than i am predicted then this is deffinatly an option i would consider.
seriously, do you litraly just call the uni up after you've recieve your results in the summer and tell them you want a place to study there? wow!
Reply 19
i'm reapplying this year; i applied for history & english last year, which was possibly the worst option for me in the world as history is just really not for me. and english is not a passion, just an interest.

i applied for history & english because i was good at both, and because the competitive nature of law scared me. but having gone through one failed ucas cycle, i think i'd rather risk law and fail than try and play it safe again.

goldenGAZE
OMG wow i never knew this was possible:eek:

if i get better grads than i am predicted then this is deffinatly an option i would consider.
seriously, do you litraly just call the uni up after you've recieve your results in the summer and tell them you want a place to study there? wow!

what i think most people are talking about is (re)applying for uni via ucas the september after they receive their a2 results. so taking a gap year and applying during that gap year. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending