The Student Room Group

Just finished my Economics degree at a "top 5" university, any questions?

Scroll to see replies

Tips for future Economics students? How can we make the most of first year or even the entire length of the degree?

I'll be a first year at Exeter studying for a degree with a year in industry. Academically I'm fine but I'm mainly worried about work experience. I haven't got any.
Reply 21
Original post by NikolaT
Tips for future Economics students? How can we make the most of first year or even the entire length of the degree?

I'll be a first year at Exeter studying for a degree with a year in industry. Academically I'm fine but I'm mainly worried about work experience. I haven't got any.

You've just got to go for it on the work experience front. Just find an area you're interested in and send emails to anyone you can find the address of asking for some unpaid experience. There is no easy option, and it's not about relying on contacts, you've got to go out there and do it for yourself. You can get internships at banks without having had any work experience, but it sure helps!
Im about to go to UCL econ this september and have 2 questions:

1. What is the work/exams actually based on? Is it maths type questions/explaining models/concepts. I have never done any economics before so I'm curious/nervous. And how is the work-load?

2. For IB spring-weeks, you don't need experience right? I dont have any. Is it more of a case of exploiting all the events/networking opportunities/relevant extra-curriculars?

Cheers :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by pyrrhusofepirus
Im about to go to UCL econ this september and have 2 questions:

1. What is the work/exams actually based on? Is it maths type questions/explaining models/concepts. I have never done any economics before so I'm curious/nervous. And how is the work-load?

2. For IB spring-weeks, you don't need experience right? I dont have any. Is it more of a case of exploiting all the events/networking opportunities/relevant extra-curriculars?

Cheers :smile:

It's a combination of essays and problem-based questions, relying on understanding and being able to manipulate and work with models. You do a fair bit of pure maths in the first year, but this is as hard as maths gets, unless you decide to opt for more difficult maths options later in your degree.

The workload is actually fine during the year, because Economics is 100% exam based for most of the modules. However, the obvious draw back is that there is more pressure on exam season.

For spring weeks I would say it is mostly about the luck of the draw. Just make sure you apply to them all to maximise your chances. Good luck.
Reply 24
I'm going to study economics at Warwick in September, dependent on grades :P .
I am slightly worried about the maths involved, is it really difficult in that only really talented people understand it or a case of with hard work can get to grips with it?

Thanks
Reply 25
Original post by carns
I'm going to study economics at Warwick in September, dependent on grades :P .
I am slightly worried about the maths involved, is it really difficult in that only really talented people understand it or a case of with hard work can get to grips with it?

Thanks

I'm not fully aware of Warwick's course but UCL did have some fairly heavy maths. Having known people studying Economics at Cambridge and LSE, I think UCL had some of the hardest maths in the first year, but then there was no more pure maths, whereas other courses tend to build it up more gradually and probably end on a higher difficulty level. Having said that, apart from the Cambridge course forcing you to study some history and politics in the first year (which is very good in my opinion), all of the top economics courses are pretty similar in content.

The maths might be hard but with enough work you will get to grips with it, and if you don't it is not the be all and end all. To do well at university exams you only need to get 60%+, so it's a different ball-game to A-levels where you might go in aiming for 100% in the exams. It's just an adjustment process you will learn over the years.
What a levels did you take and what were your results? what were your gcse results as well (If you can remember!)
Reply 27
Original post by orangutanswag
What a levels did you take and what were your results? what were your gcse results as well (If you can remember!)

You can PM me if you really want to know, but I don't understand how that is at all relevant.
Original post by FVP
You can PM me if you really want to know, but I don't understand how that is at all relevant.

Where did you intern for the summer between 1st and 2nd year? It's quite hard to find opportunities but I'm sure there's lots of smaller firms that would love to have some extra help over the summer (for free)
Reply 29
Original post by Mike_123
Where did you intern for the summer between 1st and 2nd year? It's quite hard to find opportunities but I'm sure there's lots of smaller firms that would love to have some extra help over the summer (for free)

Not at a bank or a big firm. It wasn't even to do with banking (though it was related to investment). If you have an area you are interested in and try hard enough, you can find something cool to do. Don't expect to be paid.
Original post by FVP
Not at a bank or a big firm. It wasn't even to do with banking (though it was related to investment). If you have an area you are interested in and try hard enough, you can find something cool to do. Don't expect to be paid.

Okay, are these speculative applications or formal internships?
Reply 31
Original post by Mike_123
Okay, are these speculative applications or formal internships?

Purely speculative. I'm sure there are some formal schemes out there but doubt there are many, and I think it can be good to show some initiative and have something a bit different at that stage. It's your chance to do explore something you're interested in.
What was your conditional offer from UCL and what grades did you achieve? GCSE and A Level?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by Willnewman234
What was your conditional offer from UCL and what grades did you achieve? GCSE and A Level?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can find this information in the prospectus. Everyone gets the same offer. To get into top universities for economics you need strong GCSEs (big majority A*/A) and very strong AS levels and A-level predictions. Usually AAAA achieved and A*A*A*-A*AA prediction.
Reply 34
Any advice for someone currently doing AS levels to get work experience in banking/finance? I've tried calling and emails but have had little success.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending