The Student Room Group

HMRC O/HO New recruits 2015 (after TSP applications)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JHart1865
I see where you're coming from, but you have to list any 'spent' convictions anyway.
This concerns an offence that will be 'filtered' under the ROO act 2013. So, if it wouldn't show up on a DBS enhanced check, should I tell them about it anyway?

Then I suppose it boils down to your own morality and willingness to provide transparency.

Me personally, I don't think I'd mention it.
Reply 1201
Original post by QE5
How did all the new starters find their first day today? Did you do anything worthwhile?

Lots of paperwork. But we did a get an overview of the job role and tours etc. the first week will be just going over more paperwork, health and safety etc.
Original post by Yawn11
Then I suppose it boils down to your own morality and willingness to provide transparency.

Me personally, I don't think I'd mention it.

I decided i'd ask them personally. They basically said I have to declare everything, no matter the time nor the legislation. It's not a DBS check so basically it's anything that can be used to undermine my trustworthyness in court.
Original post by Yoop
Lots of paperwork. But we did a get an overview of the job role and tours etc. the first week will be just going over more paperwork, health and safety etc.

Please tell me they asked for your bank details :smile:
Reply 1204
Original post by happytobehmrc
Please tell me they asked for your bank details :smile:

Of course :u:
Reply 1205
If anyone in Local Compliance in London is interested in switching with me to the Criminal Investigation department, please pm.

I've come from an accounting/tax background and thought I'd do a lot of tax modules in this department, but they train you for more investigative work here and I'd really like to switch to Local Compliance, which is only possible if anyone who has just joined/is about to join is willing to switch with me. So if any of you aren't dead set on tax and would like this opportunity, I'd really appreciate it :smile:

Some details:

- £31k salary (O band)
- Large tax fraud cases, pretty interesting
- Office right by London Bridge, with on site gym
- Training done outside of office with hotels, food and travel fully paid for
- Can choose if you want to be mainly desk-based or want to work outside of the office

PM me if potentially interested/want to know more. I need to let them know by next week.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mzr
If anyone in Local Compliance in London is interested in switching with me to the Criminal Investigation department, please pm me by next Monday latest. The CI department doesn't require in depth tax knowledge and would suit people who would be interested in MI5-style work.

I've come from an accounting/tax background and thought I'd do a lot of tax modules in this department, but they train you for more investigative work here and I'd really like to switch to Local Compliance, which is only possible if anyone who has just joined/is about to join is willing to switch with me. So if any of you aren't dead set on tax and would like this opportunity, I'd really appreciate it :smile:

Some details of how this role is different to LC:

- £31k salary (O band)
- Can choose if you want to be mainly desk-based or want to work outside of the office

PM me if potentially interested/want to know more. I need to let them know by next week.

It's not MI5 style work so please don't give people the wrong impression.
Reply 1207
Is anyone waiting to hear about november 2015 interviews
Original post by Mzr
If anyone in Local Compliance in London is interested in switching with me to the Criminal Investigation department, please pm me by next Monday latest. The CI department doesn't require in depth tax knowledge and would suit people who would be interested in MI5-style work.

Some details of how this role is different to LC:

- £31k salary (O band)

You should probably also mention that there will be considerable unsocial hours if you are entitled to the attendance allowance that brings the O grade pay up to that level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1209
Original post by Mega0448
It's not MI5 style work so please don't give people the wrong impression.

Sorry about that, although there are some similar aspects it was an overexaggeration. Edited my post to prevent confusion.
Reply 1210
Original post by gavin_1980
You should probably also mention that there will be considerable unsocial hours if you are entitled to the attendance allowance that brings the O grade pay up to that level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes you may have to work non-standard hours sometimes, but it isn't the same as being on call and it is not overtime. E.g. 6pm to midnight instead of 9-5. Still the same number of hours per week.
Original post by Mzr
I have no idea if it would be allowed, sorry. I am just seeing if anyone would potentially be interested as I want to switch and I was asked if there is anyone who would be willing to switch.

The only problem is that this department requires extra checks to be completed, so even if someone were to switch with me, they would have to go through these time consuming checks.

The reason is nothing negative. It is purely out of preference - I don't feel it would align with my career aspirations. Everyone here seems to enjoy it.

Any more questions, feel free to PM but I cannot talk about the actual job because it is confidential.

I can't switch with you as I work in a different role in a completely different CS department :tongue: but I'm interested in working in CI and I was just wondering what are the extra checks that need to be done? Is it the CTC and the DBS that need to be done or are there more checks?

Have you tried posting on the TSP facebook page to see if anyone wants to switch - more people might see it on there?

If there's no takers you could always start the role, stick it out for a few months and then look for an internal move to local compliance, who knows you might end up liking the work in CI!
Reply 1212
I've been offered a post to start 2nd November and will be in the Risk and Intelligence team. Anyone know more about would be involved within this team? There isn't much information online.
Anyone applying for the TSP?
Reply 1214
Original post by lucywils82
I can't switch with you as I work in a different role in a completely different CS department :tongue: but I'm interested in working in CI and I was just wondering what are the extra checks that need to be done? Is it the CTC and the DBS that need to be done or are there more checks?

Have you tried posting on the TSP facebook page to see if anyone wants to switch - more people might see it on there?

If there's no takers you could always start the role, stick it out for a few months and then look for an internal move to local compliance, who knows you might end up liking the work in CI!

Yeah, just CTC and DBS checks are needed. No, I haven't tried that, but thanks for the idea. I'm actually going to follow your last piece of advice and stick it out though :P
anyone in CI department at london bridge? I started last week but havent done much since my start other then reading. Whats everyone else upto??
Original post by tamannajahan
anyone in CI department at london bridge? I started last week but havent done much since my start other then reading. Whats everyone else upto??

Hey, I'm due to start in CI in November, although I'll be in Leeds.
What's it like? Can't seem to get information on any role in HMRC really!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ali_surti
I have and my pre-employment checks have passed, but still nothing official.

meee! how are u guys getting on?
Original post by JHart1865
Hey, I'm due to start in CI in November, although I'll be in Leeds.
What's it like? Can't seem to get information on any role in HMRC really!

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey! I have just started my second week. On my first day I just signed loads of paper work and got set up with ID and computer services.
The CI team is split into teams, my own team consisting of around 12. The team is very nice and friendly. So far I have just been exploring the intranet, reading case files and also had the chance to go court for a case which was pretty interesting. We cant do as much as the authorized officers till all training is complete, which is made up of alot of elearning and and residential training. I have not yet recieved the dates for the training so I've pretty much just been coming in and shadowing others, aswell as just sitting at a computer and reading relevent laws ETC

So far its been pretty good, cant complain as we are getting paid to just do bits of reading no actual work. The training sounds pretty intense by what others have said but the job itself seems very exciting working on all the different fraud and tax evasion cases, cant wait to actually get trained and be part of it all!
hope that helped! I know how overwhelming it is but Im sure you will love it!
(edited 8 years ago)
Can someone shed some light on what the dress code is as i have less than two weeks to go and still have not picked out a wardrobe!

Is it smart? Smart casual? i like going in as smart as possible but of course want to moderate according to what others are wearing.

please help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending