The Student Room Group

Gcse english exam tomorrow

any last tips ?
Original post by Synonym
any last tips ?

Make sure you allocate enough time for Section B - since it has the most marks, of course. Don't rush/panic. Keep an eye on the time. Also, go with the question structures you've been taught and know them well, so that you answer the question adequately. Good luck! :-)))
Please could someone explain the timings to me and how many paragraphs to make for each question?
I was thinking 30 minutes for part A, 40 minutes for part B, and 35 minutes for the creative writing.
Is this right or should I adjust my timings?
How on earth do you structure your answer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Anyone know of good edexcel past paper websites that you don't need to sign in for?
I am going to die in this exam its the worst of the worst
Reply 6
are we supposed to talk about the effect on the reader in Q4 ?
who's doing AQA?
Reply 8
Original post by natasha0144
who's doing AQA?

me
Original post by Synonym
me

are you higher or foundation?
and what do you think the theme is going to be?
Reply 10
Original post by natasha0144
are you higher or foundation?
and what do you think the theme is going to be?

Higher and I have no idea about what theme its gonna be, wbu? ps what are you aiming to get as your overall eng lang grade ?
Original post by Synonym
Higher and I have no idea about what theme its gonna be, wbu? ps what are you aiming to get as your overall eng lang grade ?

me neither I hope its about holidays or something. im aiming to get an A* overall, how about you?
I'm doing AQA higher. You should spend 12 mins in Q1, Q2 and Q3 since they are worth 8 marks then 24 mins on Q4 which is worth 16 marks.

Q1- what do you learn (inference question) do about 4 or 5 points and evidence with a small amount of explanation.

Q2- how does the image and headline support the text (presentation devices). Link the headline to the image then link both to the text (pea chains)

Q3- thoughts and feelings of the writing (I think, not sure for this question)

Q4- compare a named source and a source of your choice for language used and how it relates to the purpose (pea chains, maybe 5 or 6 depends on your speed and detail)

Writing is 2 tasks writing about 3 or 4 pea chains for the first question then 5 or 6 for the second. Write in the correct format (e.g. for a letter write addresses, yours sincerely/faithfully OR leaflet draw boxes and write the image you would place, include bullet points)

Good Luck everyone, hope this helps - I had a full day of English revision today 😴
Reply 13
Yes, you are analysing in Q4. Make sure you talk about different interpretations aswell, use words such as 'implies' 'suggests' 'conveys a sense of' 'gives the impression' and 'creates a feeling of'. Don't just say 'this makes the reader engaged' or 'this evokes imagery' make sure you EXAPLAIN eg 'the phrase 'symbol of hope' creates imagery of a light in the darkness of the riots'.

Good luck !
Reply 14
Original post by jackhonour
Please could someone explain the timings to me and how many paragraphs to make for each question?
I was thinking 30 minutes for part A, 40 minutes for part B, and 35 minutes for the creative writing.
Is this right or should I adjust my timings?

It's really up to you and how quickly you write, but I am timing it:

- Q1 -12mins
- Q2 -12mins
- Q3 -12mins
- Q4 -24mins
- Q5 -24mins
- Q6 -36mins

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending