The Student Room Group

Brother smokes Cannabis all the time (progessively)-- and its starting to bother me

Basically, my brother over time has slowly become dependent on 'weed' to solve and ease his daily stresses.

He was diagnosed with bipolar disorder a few years ago after he'd tried to kill himself over some girl (whom messed his head up).

For months and years later he was depressed, often off the rails, sometimes fine the next irrational and in a rage. His temper and stress got so bad it started reaping havoc at home. He has had therapy, and being seen by the crisis team twice, and both times he has been stubborn and not accepted help.

His temper became more apparent at work-- where he has no tolerance at all- and his threshold for loosing his temper is like non existent. There are loads of nasty, tow faced people at work- and basically he gets so angry and wound up. He hates the boss, his work colleagues, and just the toxic environment (much like me, except I don't use weed to cure my issues).

About a year to two years ago- he met two other individuals at work, whom smoke and deal drugs. He started to become well acquainted with them. Later it became apparent he smoked drugs with them.

Often he comes from work, essentially pissed off and takes it out on my mum and then goes off and gets high with said work colleagues.

Lately he has being getting impatient, and paces around the house, blaming my mum saying "Oh I'll never have much money will I!?" as though its her fault she makes him pay rent. I mean, if he didn't spend it all on drugs he'd have more?

I am dreading when he starts stealing from us all. What can I do about it?
Frankly, me and him hate each other, as well as the people he now associates with. He spends pretty much most nights out getting high, and he smokes weed everyday- and it infuriates me and I want to 'ring his neck' sometimes.

I think his use is getting heavier. What can I do before he starts to exploit my mum? He is 22 years old, lives at home with us. I am 24 but nearly finished up uni and ready to move (complete opposite spectrum).
Original post by Anonymous

Lately he has being getting impatient, and paces around the house, blaming my mum saying "Oh I'll never have much money will I!?" as though its her fault she makes him pay rent. I mean, if he didn't spend it all on drugs he'd have more?

Frankly, me and him hate each other, as well as the people he now associates with. He spends pretty much most nights out getting high, and he smokes weed everyday- and it infuriates me and I want to 'ring his neck' sometimes.

Stealing? It's just weed, not heroin. Everyday is a little obsessive, but if he's able to work a job and pay rent then it doesn't seem like he has a problem yet.

Sounds like he'd be happier if he moved out and got a different job. Also sounds like he's having a tough time and maybe you could be a little more supportive? I know it's easy for family in particular to wind you up, but try seeing things from his perspective. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like he's in a lower paid job, which makes it difficult for him to move out (especially with the price of rent these days), I can understand his frustration at not having much money (considering minimum wage in this country is an absolute joke).

In summary, even if he is a dick sometimes, cut him some slack and try to talk to him about it.
Original post by Anonymous
Basically, my brother over time has slowly become dependent on 'weed' to solve and ease his daily stresses.

He was diagnosed with bipolar disorder a few years ago after he'd tried to kill himself over some girl (whom messed his head up).

For months and years later he was depressed, often off the rails, sometimes fine the next irrational and in a rage. His temper and stress got so bad it started reaping havoc at home. He has had therapy, and being seen by the crisis team twice, and both times he has been stubborn and not accepted help.

His temper became more apparent at work-- where he has no tolerance at all- and his threshold for loosing his temper is like non existent. There are loads of nasty, tow faced people at work- and basically he gets so angry and wound up. He hates the boss, his work colleagues, and just the toxic environment (much like me, except I don't use weed to cure my issues).

About a year to two years ago- he met two other individuals at work, whom smoke and deal drugs. He started to become well acquainted with them. Later it became apparent he smoked drugs with them.

Often he comes from work, essentially pissed off and takes it out on my mum and then goes off and gets high with said work colleagues.

I think his use is getting heavier. What can I do before he starts to exploit my mum? He is 22 years old, lives at home with us. I am 24 but nearly finished up uni and ready to move (complete opposite spectrum).

The thing about this drug is that the longer that your brother goes on smoking it, the more lasting effects it will have. Most notably you've got paranoia and the whole short-temper deal. If he had these kinds of traits before smoking weed, then they'll be enhanced the more he does it, and that is unfortunately something that he will find very hard to control.

Just be there for him if he wants to talk, I would say, because he won't want to keep these feelings to himself but he'll find it hard talking to someone he can't relate to. It's hard for you as well, but the thing to do is to find a situation where he is feeling agreeable and will listen to what you have to say. Tell him his habits are worrying you, that you don't want to see him get hurt and that if he doesn't want to talk to professionals who wouldn't understand, then talking to you would be much better. Ask him how he's feeling, let him talk. Often the thing people need most is to be listened to. He needs a strong support network and if he rejects professional therapists, then the other option is family.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending