The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Missing entry requirements by one grade

How likely is it that Manchester will accept me for law if I get AAB instead of AAA? :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iloveu
How likely is it that Manchester will accept me for law if I get AAB instead of AAA? :frown:

Likely.

And how could you love me? You barely even know me. Liar.
(edited 8 years ago)
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Have you got grade 6 bassoon and the bronze DoE?
Read this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=56697679

It's impossible for us to predict in advance. If it's only one grade they will often look at near misses like you before going into Clearing, but there's really no way of telling in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by callum_law
Likely.

And how could you love me? You barely even know me. Liar.

Thanks you've given me a bit of hope after my crappy English exam yday!

My love is free for all :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by cambio wechsel
Have you got grade 6 bassoon and the bronze DoE?

I have no clue what you're on about so no I guess not :confused:
Reply 6
Original post by Origami Bullets
Read this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=56697679

It's impossible for us to predict in advance. If it's only one grade they will often look at near misses like you before going into Clearing, but there's really no way of telling in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks this helped a lot!
Reply 7
what are you thinking of studying?
Both my options require AAB, are most manch courses AAA?
I'm a bit worried too.
Original post by TimmyR
I'm a bit worried too.

Offers at Manchester vary from A*A*A (physics) to BBC (mental health nursing) so it does vary a lot between courses. However, AAA/AAB are the most commonly stated entry requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Offers at Manchester vary from A*A*A (physics) to BBC (mental health nursing) so it does vary a lot between courses. However, AAA/AAB are the most commonly stated entry requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why is Physics so ridiculously high? clearly that department must be world class.
Original post by TimmyR
Why is Physics so ridiculously high? clearly that department must be world class.

Brian Cox, innit. 'Marvel at the stars and their incalculable beauty …', etc.
Reply 11
Original post by TimmyR
I'm a bit worried too.

I'm (hopefully) going to be studying law.
You?
Original post by TimmyR

The Brian Cox effect, in part (he's on the staff and teaches one of the first year modules, though there are numerous jokes about how often he's actually on campus), but there are lots of other excellent staff - ranging from a pair of Nobel prize winners (they discovered Graphene) to Jeff Forshaw (who's co-written several books with Brian Cox).

It's also a really solid academic course from the point of course content, and it comes with opportunities to do things like spend all of third year studying in California.

The other reason is purely because they can - if they can attract enough A*A*A candidates, why not have them? And in many applicants' eyes, the higher the entry requirements the better the course, so by raising the entry requirements they can actually attract even more good students (most of the physics students / graduates I know had the grades for Oxbridge and applied, but didn't get in, as many good students don't).
Reply 13
Original post by iloveu
I'm (hopefully) going to be studying law.
You?

I'm thinking of either Psychology or Geography at Manchester.
Does Geography degree require a full Geography A level because I may drop it or drop Biology AS depending on my grade.
Apparently Psychology requirements are more lax and favour essay based A levels so I've heard.
Reply 14
Original post by TimmyR
Does Geography degree require a full Geography A level because I may drop it or drop Biology AS depending on my grade.
Apparently Psychology requirements are more lax and favour essay based A levels so I've heard.

Sorry I'm completely oblivious to requirements for courses other than law :colondollar: I'm 90% sure that you need to do geography at a2 to be considered for the degree however you can confirm this on the university website.

I'd definitely just go look at the course requirements on the Manchester website. It'll answer all your questions about desired/essential subjects.
Original post by TimmyR

There's no need for a geography A Level to study geography at Manchester http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2016/00232/geography-3-years-ba/entry-requirements/ However, if you aren't enjoying studying geography now, I would suggest that you think carefully about whether you will enjoy studying it for three years at uni.

Psychology at Manchester is actually pretty science based, so I can see biology AS coming in useful, though there are no A Level subject requirements to get onto the degree programme http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2016/00653/psychology-3-years-bsc/entry-requirements/
Reply 16
Original post by iloveu
Sorry I'm completely oblivious to requirements for courses other than law :colondollar: I'm 90% sure that you need to do geography at a2 to be considered for the degree however you can confirm this on the university website.

I'd definitely just go look at the course requirements on the Manchester website. It'll answer all your questions about desired/essential subjects.

Thanks for the reply. Are you thinking of studying law at Manchester? you must have very good AS grades :smile:

There's no need for a geography A Level to study geography at Manchester http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2016/00232/geography-3-years-ba/entry-requirements/ However, if you aren't enjoying studying geography now, I would suggest that you think carefully about whether you will enjoy studying it for three years at uni.

Psychology at Manchester is actually pretty science based, so I can see biology AS coming in useful, though there are no A Level subject requirements to get onto the degree programme http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2016/00653/psychology-3-years-bsc/entry-requirements/

Yeah I'll definitely take your advice. I do enjoy studying Geography! it's one of my favourite subjects and it was my only actual A in GCSE haha
Unfortunately the teaching wasn't so great this year and our school in general isn't committed at all in most of my lessons so far. I actually had only 2 geography lessons a week for much of the start of the year and there's only 2 in my class now (from 3). In fact, the majority of my classes halved in students attending by Mayish. I'm looking much more forward to next year though as I like all the topics :biggrin:

What do you think I should drop?

Psychology (I hope I get an A in AS)
Geography (Hope I get a B)
English (Hope I get a B again, I love this subject too even if it's not so relevant to psych or geo)
Biology (You said it's relevant to Psychology in which I absolutely agree but it's my least favourite and I think I'll end up getting a C in that as I flocked terribly in the exams and just got unlucky :/ but I got an A in my coursework)
Reply 17
Original post by TimmyR
Thanks for the reply. Are you thinking of studying law at Manchester? you must have very good AS grades :smile:

I'm actually in year 13 right now so I currently have an offer from Manchester (hence why I'm so panicked about my results!) I didn't do AMAZING at AS tbh, I got AABC (4a's would have made this year so much easier haha :redface:) This year I continued on with the subjects I got AAC in. I'd definitely advise you to choose your subjects based on what you actually enjoy. However if you know that even though you enjoy it there's no way you can achieve good grades in it, just choose the subject your better at :smile: it's really hard to choose what to drop and I still wonder if I should have kept my B grade subject but you just have to make the choice and try your best whatever way you go.
Original post by iloveu

You'll get in dont worry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by MaheenMaheen
You'll get in dont worry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I really hope so :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending