The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Weight lifting equipment at campus gym?

I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any squat racks/bench presses/deadlift spots at the campus gym? I'm living in Nixon Court next year so don't really want to have to travel to Oadby's gym
Reply 1
Original post by mcom.94
I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any squat racks/bench presses/deadlift spots at the campus gym? I'm living in Nixon Court next year so don't really want to have to travel to Oadby's gym

http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/sports/facilities/gyms/SCequipment

Equipment list.

You're welcome :wink:
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by mcom.94

http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/sports/sports-news/news-items/new-gym-kit-for-the-danielle-brown-sports-centre

Also ^^^ - for reference as due to that I'm assuming the equipment list will change :P

I'm not at Leicester yet btw but I'm going to be starting in September too and am going to be continuing my training at Uni and so am also interested in the gyms! Although, I will be living in Oadby so will make use of both Sports Centres and maybe the toning studios etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks for the link. Hopefully they update it with stuff I want then. The equipment list isn't too useful for me because I'm not sure what type of benches they are, or whether it's a squat machine or squat rack etc. I'll have to see when I get there, I guess.
Reply 4
Well, my phone just decided to bug out when sending my message so if it posts twice then I'm sorry...

From looking at the list I reckon they'll have squat rack(s) and a variety of benches (e.g. flat, adjustable, incline etc.) but don't think they would have deadlift flooring.

Out of curiosity, what kind of training do you do?
I believe the campus gym only has Smith machines and preset barbells - no squat racks or individual bars. However I'm just going on what my mates have said (who've trained there) - I haven't stepped foot in the gym and after I heard that the aforementioned equipment wasn't there, it put me off even more.

I know you said you live too far from Oadby but just in case anyone else is wondering... Oadby gym has a flat bench, and incline bench, seated shoulder press, 1 or 2 Smith machines, 6ish adjustable benches, 2 cable jungles, GHR bench, 1 half rack and a power rack (both with safety bars), 2 lifting platforms, about 4 Olympics bars and a bunch of hammer strength and resistance machines. Big fan of the Oadby gym
Reply 6
Original post by Pavzky
I believe the campus gym only has Smith machines and preset barbells - no squat racks or individual bars. However I'm just going on what my mates have said (who've trained there) - I haven't stepped foot in the gym and after I heard that the aforementioned equipment wasn't there, it put me off even more.

I know you said you live too far from Oadby but just in case anyone else is wondering... Oadby gym has a flat bench, and incline bench, seated shoulder press, 1 or 2 Smith machines, 6ish adjustable benches, 2 cable jungles, GHR bench, 1 half rack and a power rack (both with safety bars), 2 lifting platforms, about 4 Olympics bars and a bunch of hammer strength and resistance machines. Big fan of the Oadby gym

Nice selection!
I'll definitely be making use of that gym and probably the campus one too but judging by how much equipment you've said is at Oadby then I think most of my time will be spent there😊
Do you know if that gym allows students to work there part time? I'd be interested in getting a job there.
Original post by 7ButlerJ
Nice selection!
I'll definitely be making use of that gym and probably the campus one too but judging by how much equipment you've said is at Oadby then I think most of my time will be spent there😊
Do you know if that gym allows students to work there part time? I'd be interested in getting a job there.

The Oadby gym is really nice too - it's modern and quite fancy (the whole sports centre is quite recent). It's the only gym I've been to while at uni. Re. part-time work, I'm not entirely sure - though I don't see why students wouldn't be allowed to work there part-time... but having said that I *think* to work in a gym you need some sort of personal training qualification

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending