The Student Room Group

Upper second class(58.2%) in 2nd year and master application

Hi everyone,

I am a warwick student and I just learned that my overall 2nd year mark was 58,2%. I wasn't expecting a 2.2 and i'm sure that I can get a low-mid 2.1 as my final undergrad mark. However, I would like to know if I still have my chance for a master in business in a top university (uk or Usa). What should I do to maximise my chances ? Should i apply very early or wait after my 3rd year results (as they might refuse me with a 2.2 and no guarentee that I can achieve a 2.1)...
Any advices about what to do?
Ps: i am doing the gmat in September to strengthen my chances
I scraped a 2.2 and will be doing a masters in engineering!
Getting an offer may not be a problem - but funding it will be. Can you afford the fees and maintenance yourself?
Reply 3
Yes I can afford the fees myself.
My problem is will I get the offer if I apply ?
I'm sure they'll look at my uni record and they'll never accept me. (My choices are warwick business school, ucl and kings..).

Did someone experienced the same pb as me ?
You just carry on with your plans (with the proviso that you may have to wait until after your third year results…)

Masters applications take a variety of factors into account, one of which will be references. What you can do at this stage is start to plan who your referees will be - you need that reference to state that you're predicted an overall 2.1. It may be that your referee will be your dissertation supervisor so choose carefully! Good luck.
How is 58.2% upper second class? I thought 2.i was upper second class and 2.ii was lower second class :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Original post by Dasberns
Hi everyone,

I am a warwick student and I just learned that my overall 2nd year mark was 58,2%. I wasn't expecting a 2.2 and i'm sure that I can get a low-mid 2.1 as my final undergrad mark. However, I would like to know if I still have my chance for a master in business in a top university (uk or Usa). What should I do to maximise my chances ? Should i apply very early or wait after my 3rd year results (as they might refuse me with a 2.2 and no guarentee that I can achieve a 2.1)...

Eh, how did you get your results early? I thought all results are released on Friday the 3rd of July?
Reply 7
Original post by Smash50
Eh, how did you get your results early? I thought all results are released on Friday the 3rd of July?

Dpartment of comp sci was on monday!
Reply 8
Dpartment of comp sci was on monday!

Ah right, I assumed that it was the same day for all departments! I'm from the maths department so I find out some time tomorrow :biggrin:
Reply 9
Just work hard and improve your average. Read and act on feedback received on your previous modules, also read any marking schemes you have access to and do a really good dissertation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
[e]Just work hard and improve your average. Read and act on feedback received on your previous modules, also read any marking schemes you have access to and do a really good dissertation.

I will, but my hope is not to be rejected from the master
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Law-Hopeful
How is 58.2% upper second class? I thought 2.i was upper second class and 2.ii was lower second class :s-smilie:

You're right, bud. They must have just been careless.
Reply 12
Original post by callum_law
You're right, bud. They must have just been careless.

Sorry, my mistake, it is a lower second class. I meant a high 2.2
Hi everyone,

hello, apply for masters anyway!

I got a 58.8% in my second year and applied for a masters with the result, then received a conditional offer for 64% from one of the top UK universities. i think you'd have a high chance of receiving an offer if you have good references, however whether or not the condition is achievable is another question. just work really hard after getting an offer - good luck!
Reply 14
Business school should be no problem. I know people with 2.2s who are now at KCL. LSE will be an issue, but not the other places. Just apply and get some darn good work experience under the belt.
Reply 15
However, I would like to know if I still have my chance for a master in business in a top university (uk or Usa).

How far up the league tables are we talking here? I know you'd struggle to get onto Judge Business School courses at Cambridge without at least a high 2:1 overall, for instance. No idea about other courses - I'd wager strong GMAT scores, references and so on might serve you well though.
Dear Dasberns
We're glad to hear you're thinking about taking the GMAT exam. A good score will certainly improve your chances of being admitted to a good business school, but remember that the GMAT is only one part of your overall application.

If you're looking for schools in the UK or the USA, you might find our School finder tool useful: http://www.mba.com/global/find-and-compare-schools.aspx

It allows you to search for schools across the world based on your own criteria.

All the best and please let us know if you have any more questions.

Tina
Official GMAT

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending