The Student Room Group

I want to break up with my boyfriend but he needs me

I've been with my boyfriend for a month. We have always been great friends. He is depressed and used to self harm, but about 3 months ago he started to feel better and stopped.
Since last week or so I have wanted to break up with him, and recently he was been thinking about self harming again. He doesn't know that I want to break up with him, he tells me that I am the only thing keeping him happy and that he loves me more than anything, so I feel really guilty and selfish because I don't want to hurt him. But I really don't want to be with him, I thought that because we were great friends we would be great together, but it isn't working out in my opinion.
I really don't know what to do. I want to break up with him but I don't want to hurt him.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I've been with my boyfriend for a month. We have always been great friends. He is depressed and used to self harm, but about 3 months ago he started to feel better and stopped.
Since last week or so I have wanted to break up with him, and recently he was been thinking about self harming again. He doesn't know that I want to break up with him, he tells me that I am the only thing keeping him happy and that he loves me more than anything, so I feel really guilty and selfish because I don't want to hurt him. But I really don't want to be with him, I thought that because we were great friends we would be great together, but it isn't working out in my opinion.
I really don't know what to do. I want to break up with him but I don't want to hurt him.

Usually I can't share much empathy with the stories on this website, but this one I can.

I was with a girl who was suicidal, depressed and always said she would kill herself if I left her...I was with her for 9 months and eventually had to cut it off because it got too much.

I felt pressured to be with her as if she killed/hurt herself it would have been my fault.

But the best thing to do would be to end it as soon as you can be offer the friendship support. The longer your with him the more attached he will feel to you and the harder it will be for you to end it. I know its not easy and very sensitive.

I hope I helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I think you have to bite the bullet and end it as kindly as you can. Prolonging the angst will likely make things worse. From what I've seen he'll live to fight another day. Tough situation though.
Reply 3
Original post by LordLewi
Usually I can't share much empathy with the stories on this website, but this one I can.

I was with a girl who was suicidal, depressed and always said she would kill herself if I left her...I was with her for 9 months and eventually had to cut it off because it got too much.

I felt pressured to be with her as if she killed/hurt herself it would have been my fault.

But the best thing to do would be to end it as soon as you can be offer the friendship support. The longer your with him the more attached he will feel to you and the harder it will be for you to end it. I know its not easy and very sensitive.

I hope I helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. As you say, I can still support him as a friend.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous

If you want to break up, you should be allowed to. This is a sad situation because of the self harming. Maybe you might want to get a psychiatrist involved if it gets too bad.
tough

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending