The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

thoughts on my team (for now)?
i've taken some risks (especially with 3 Liverpool players) and i'm a little unsure about my attack, although i'm likely to use my WC pretty early this season anyway.

Untitled.png
Original post by Lúcio
i've taken some risks (especially with 3 Liverpool players) and i'm a little unsure about my attack, although i'm likely to use my WC pretty early this season anyway.

Untitled.png

It's a lot of Liverpool bias considering how poor we've started the season in the past, the number of new signings and how bad our starting fixtures are.
Original post by Lúcio

Untitled.png

Will Firmino start at first given how he's yet to play in pre season?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90

Posted from TSR Mobile

sr90, where's my feedback? :frown:
Reply 184
Original post by Lúcio

Untitled.png

The defence looks expensive, if you downgrade Lescott to O'Shea/Huth you can upgrade Cabaye to Chadli/Milner/Henderson. Firmino is a big risk early on so i'd get Ozil/Ramsey/Yaya instead.
Original post by Zerforax
It's a lot of Liverpool bias considering how poor we've started the season in the past, the number of new signings and how bad our starting fixtures are.

initially i had bertrand over clyne but since the former is injured it kinda screwed me up a little.
i like the idea of having a liverpool defender because contrary to popular belief, we actually get more CSs than people like to think.

benteke is just a massive punt really; he could turn out to be exceptional for us so i thought i'd give it a go considering i'll probably play my WC early anyway.
and of course you can't have a midfield without coutinho or firmino this season :tongue:
so yeah, before i knew it i had 3 liverpool players - if i'm to change one, it'll probably be clyne.

Original post by sr90

Posted from TSR Mobile

i'd be surprised if he didn't considering the price we paid and the quality he supposedly has.
i guess i could downgrade him to coutinho which would allow me breathing room elsewhere, but i chose firmino because he has a greater thirst for scoring and the (albeit slim) potential that he could be played as a striker.

Original post by asr11
The defence looks expensive, if you downgrade Lescott to O'Shea/Huth you can upgrade Cabaye to Chadli/Milner/Henderson. Firmino is a big risk early on so i'd get Ozil/Ramsey/Yaya instead.

cabaye for 6.5m looks an absolute steal to me though.
i liked the idea of having a WBA defender although i will admit i didn't expect to be paying 5m for him.

i'm not having a 2nd arsenal midfielder; i like to keep things spread out among clubs in the middle tbh.
i did want a spurs midfielder but i just couldn't seem to find the room for one.
if i'm to change firmino it'd probably be to coutinho to free up a little funds, although honestly i don't know where else i'd inject money in to my squad.
Original post by Lúcio
initially i had bertrand over clyne but since the former is injured it kinda screwed me up a little.
i like the idea of having a liverpool defender because contrary to popular belief, we actually get more CSs than people like to think.

benteke is just a massive punt really; he could turn out to be exceptional for us so i thought i'd give it a go considering i'll probably play my WC early anyway.
and of course you can't have a midfield without coutinho or firmino this season :tongue:
so yeah, before i knew it i had 3 liverpool players - if i'm to change one, it'll probably be clyne.

i'd be surprised if he didn't considering the price we paid and the quality he supposedly has.
i guess i could downgrade him to coutinho which would allow me breathing room elsewhere, but i chose firmino because he has a greater thirst for scoring and the (albeit slim) potential that he could be played as a striker.

cabaye for 6.5m looks an absolute steal to me though.
i liked the idea of having a WBA defender although i will admit i didn't expect to be paying 5m for him.

i'm not having a 2nd arsenal midfielder; i like to keep things spread out among clubs in the middle tbh.
i did want a spurs midfielder but i just couldn't seem to find the room for one.
if i'm to change firmino it'd probably be to coutinho to free up a little funds, although honestly i don't know where else i'd inject money in to my squad.

Yea I went for Fonte instead.

We got a lot of clean sheets when we moved to 3ATB and had an easier run of fixtures. We're going back to a 4 man backline, one of whom look like it will be Lovren (ugh) and have some tough fixtures. Not sold on the clean sheets at the start of the season.

Agree about Benteke - I was tempted. Not sure I'd double up with Firmino/Coutinho though consider we'll be slow to start, need to gel and have tough games.

Firmino hasn't trained with the squad yet so I don't think he'll be playing 90 mins from day 1.
Yea I went for Fonte instead.

We got a lot of clean sheets when we moved to 3ATB and had an easier run of fixtures. We're going back to a 4 man backline, one of whom look like it will be Lovren (ugh) and have some tough fixtures. Not sold on the clean sheets at the start of the season.

Agree about Benteke - I was tempted. Not sure I'd double up with Firmino/Coutinho though consider we'll be slow to start, need to gel and have tough games.

Firmino hasn't trained with the squad yet so I don't think he'll be playing 90 mins from day 1.

i suppose i could literally just swap firmino for eriksen - even though spurs have an awful GW1, it definitely gets better for the next few weeks, plus eriksen scores a stupid amount of free kicks :tongue:
benteke is only there because there aren't any more obvious options up front around that price, and even though our fixtures are hard he's still a proven PL goalscorer.

think i'll stick with clyne/benteke but swap firmino.
play my WC somewhere between GW 4-7 before Liverpool's games get ridiculous.
hopefully by then there will be a better scope of who will be the big guns this season.
Thoughts on this? 2.5 million spare, not sure whether to save this to upgrade Santi to Sanchez when he gets back or to just upgrade one of my other players
image.jpg
Original post by King Hotpie
Thoughts on this? 2.5 million spare, not sure whether to save this to upgrade Santi to Sanchez when he gets back or to just upgrade one of my other players
image.jpg

Surely the 2.5mil is better spent on upgrade the striker or a midfield player rather than not using?
image.jpg

Too much spent in defence. You're gonna want to upgrade one of those mids.

Yea I'm going to wildcard over the first international break too. Picked this team based on having the better fixtures over the first few weeks.

Cech Ruddy
Azpi Fonte Alderweireld Kaboul Cook
Walcott Depay Henderson Lens Atsu
Rooney Kane Pelle

Would keep an eye on Kaboul I've seen suggestions that he isn't necessarily going to Sunderland as first choice. Rest looks good tho, decent front three. No idea who Cook is but I presume hes 4m fodder

Posted from TSR Mobile
image.jpg

I like Colback a lot - that lad plays MINUTES, gets some set pieces and steps up when needbe, it's only a shame he's a total fiend for a yellow card, robbing him of a good 15-20 points over the course of a season.
(edited 8 years ago)
Also Watford have signed Berghuis so anyone with Anya in your team now is the time to get rid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90

Would keep an eye on Kaboul I've seen suggestions that he isn't necessarily going to Sunderland as first choice. Rest looks good tho, decent front three. No idea who Cook is but I presume hes 4m fodder

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cook and Kaboul are both 4.5mil.
Ah I assumed Kaboul would come in at CB as first choice. Who will remain as first choice paring?

Cook is a Bournemouth defender but I think he was their best CB last season. Basically fodder but can come in for a couple of points if needed.
Ah I assumed Kaboul would come in at CB as first choice. Who will remain as first choice paring?

Cook is a Bournemouth defender but I think he was their best CB last season. Basically fodder but can come in for a couple of points if needed.

Francis and Mings are more secure defender picks for Bournemouth I've heard since distin could maybe slot into central defence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can't decide whether I want Depay and Rooney or go for Rooney + Liverpool mid.

No idea tbh, just remember a couple of Sunderland fans on ffs warning people off him. Pantillimon, PVA and Matthews are nailed, you'd suspect it's 2 from Coates, O'Shea and Kaboul for the CB slot.
Looking at the first 7 games, I suspect Chelsea might not be good value for money in defence. It's such bitty run they have with only three home games, and each one against a team that I wouldn't bet against scoring against any team in the league right now.

Swansea
Palace
Arsenal

looking at a team like Liverpool, who are a bit flakier than Chelsea, but not a great deal, and who do have ??? over their formation...

Bournemouth
West Ham
Norwich
Villa

I wouldn't bet against a half decent team keeping a clean sheet against all four of those and I do wonder whether a £11 Liverpool/Arsenal rotation with someone like Skrtel/Mert...

West Ham
Bournemouth
Liverpool
West Ham
Stoke
Norwich
Villa

Would pay dividends over playing Azpilicueta/Ivanovic + a budget player straight through those seven games
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sr90
Also Watford have signed Berghuis so anyone with Anya in your team now is the time to get rid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Might throw in Wanyama instead then, even though I'm not sure if he'll be starter; 4.5m seems like too much of a good deal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Surely the 2.5mil is better spent on upgrade the striker or a midfield player rather than not using?

Maybe, but if I leave it in the bank I can put Sanchez straight in using just one transfer, so it all depends on whether my team is strong enough to survive that long without any major loss...
Original post by sr90

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I did think that but I'm quite attached to all my defenders except O'Shea who can't really go down any further... Suppose I'm just going to have to bit the bullet and choose one to get rid.
Original post by Mister Dead
I like Colback a lot - that lad plays MINUTES, gets some set pieces and steps up when needbe, it's only a shame he's a total fiend for a yellow card, robbing him of a good 15-20 points over the course of a season.

Yeah, he did quite well last season in a team that only performed for half the season, so hopefully he can go even better if Newcastle have a stronger season. Yellow cards are an issue as well, although last season he got twice as many as he ever has before so hopefully it was just an anomaly.

Latest