The Student Room Group

Muscle Fatigue

Hey,

So I was in the gym today working on chest and triceps. I had just finished working out on several machines and went to bench press. I rested for a few minutes and my triceps and shoulders still felt fatigued and so I couldn't even lift a 30kg barbell. (I usually lift 40kg, still a beginner). What's worse, I took the plates off and couldn't even lift the 20kg bar...I felt pathetic haha :biggrin:

I was wondering if there are any ways to try and combat muscle fatigue during a workout? I didn't have a shake before this workout, so maybe that might have been a factor..

Also, with machines such as the shoulder press, it's meant to work your shoulders and chest. For some reason, my shoulders ached between sets, but not my chest? Will I still be working my chest? I don't see how its possible to use the machine incorrectly as it seems straight forward to use, but could be a possibility.

Thank you
Reply 1
Not really. Do the important thing first and 5mins rest as needed will maximise what you've got. Shake before won't really help

Lifting overhead is shoulder and tri, no chest
Reply 2
Original post by BKS
Not really. Do the important thing first and 5mins rest as needed will maximise what you've got. Shake before won't really help

Lifting overhead is shoulder and tri, no chest

Oh ok. Thank you :smile:
You should be working alternate muscle groups i.e. chest and biceps; triceps and legs etc. That way you are not tiring out your muscles for certain exercises, like the bench press, which in fact works your shoulders, triceps and chest. Don't worry, I'm a beginner too, I can only bench 45kg at the moment :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest