The Student Room Group

Degree choices for a Biology teacher?

Hi guys, long story short if my medicine application falls through due to grades I would like to take a gap year and apply to uni with the view of becoming a biology teacher...

the only problem is I have no idea what degrees would be best suited for this job role...

I am really interested in degrees such as genetics, cell biology, neuroscience etc. over a generic biology degree, but would this be ok as a degree to become a biology teacher or would I need a more general biology degree....

also would a combined honours degree be better such as genetics and cell biology?

thanks in advance, im so confused about this and after a lot of research im still lost as to what degrees are suitable.
Original post by Natalierm2707
Hi guys, long story short if my medicine application falls through due to grades I would like to take a gap year and apply to uni with the view of becoming a biology teacher...

the only problem is I have no idea what degrees would be best suited for this job role...

I am really interested in degrees such as genetics, cell biology, neuroscience etc. over a generic biology degree, but would this be ok as a degree to become a biology teacher or would I need a more general biology degree....

also would a combined honours degree be better such as genetics and cell biology?

thanks in advance, im so confused about this and after a lot of research im still lost as to what degrees are suitable.

To do a secondary pgce, i think as long as half of your content degree is biology related you can pick whichever you want so all of the ones you ve listed could be good options for you:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
To do a secondary pgce, i think as long as half of your content degree is biology related you can pick whichever you want so all of the ones you ve listed could be good options for you:smile:

thanks!! I will look into the PGCE and see if I can get some info from there to confirm!
Original post by Natalierm2707
thanks!! I will look into the PGCE and see if I can get some info from there to confirm!

no problem:smile: this website has info on teaching https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/explore-my-options/secondary-training-options/university-led-postgraduate-training

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending