The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Foundation year transfer

Hi,

I have completed a foundation year at Brunel in mathematics and achieved 80.1% . I would like to ask whether anyone has either knowledge or experience of applying to KCL through adjustment with foundation year as a qualification.

Kind regards
I am entering Kings this year on the back of my foundation year engineering qualification from City University London. I would suggest you email the admissions officer nod ask whether they will accept your foundation year qualification and what grades they require like I did. Best of luck.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by Shady778
Hi,

I have completed a foundation year at Brunel in mathematics and achieved 80.1% . I would like to ask whether anyone has either knowledge or experience of applying to KCL through adjustment with foundation year as a qualification.

Kind regards

Hey! I am in a similar position. Did you get into KCL?
Reply 3
Original post by princessBG
Hey! I am in a similar position. Did you get into KCL?

Unfortunately not. I'm in York now
Unfortunately not. I'm in York now

Aw okay! So why did the reject you? Was it because you applied too late?
Reply 5
Aw okay! So why did the reject you? Was it because you applied too late?

Ye during adjustment they said it'd filled up ( for pure maths course). I actually knew 3 people who applied through the normal ucas cycle and received offers. I didn't apply to them originally as I thought they woundn't accept foundation year transfers. But they do.
Ye during adjustment they said it'd filled up ( for pure maths course). I actually knew 3 people who applied through the normal ucas cycle and received offers. I didn't apply to them originally as I thought they woundn't accept foundation year transfers. But they do.

Even kings? Woah okay! Unlucky man. Im applying through ucas right now so let us see.
Even kings? Woah okay! Unlucky man. Im applying through ucas right now so let us see.

Did you get into Kings?
I know this is an old thread, but it has been bumped recently so I thought I'd share my experiences!

I applied to do pharmacology and molecular genetics, I missed the Jan deadline but I applied in late April/early May time so before clearing. I did a foundation year at the University of Greenwich and received a conditional offer requiring 70%; I actually scored 69.4% but still got offered a place. A couple of people from my course at Greenwich applied before the Jan deadline and they both got straight rejections; the only thing I know for definite that made my application stand out compared to theirs was my work experience*, and possibly a few particularly good marks (into the 80%s and 90%s) which I drew attention to in my personal statement.

So it's possible to get in off the back of a foundation year, but I think you need to have a little something extra on your application to make yourself stand out.

*I'm a mature student and I had 3 and a half years of NHS work as a lab assistant in haematology and biochemistry, plus another 2 years working closely with microbiology, and I was allowed to work a friend who is a post doc researcher for a couple of months, which gave me experience of working in a research lab.
Hi,

Kind regards

Hey I know this is old but did you do a foundation degree? Or was it part of a main degree? Because on the kings website it says they don’t accept foundation years that are part of a main degree.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey I know this is old but did you do a foundation degree? Or was it part of a main degree? Because on the kings website it says they don’t accept foundation years that are part of a main degree.

What do you mean as a part of a main degree? Does it means that the uni offers you the foundation and also the bachelor?
PS: I am a prospective applicant to King’s foundation and currently holding some offers from Warwick (only for their foundation), meanwhile Birmi and Glasgow offers me their foundation as well as their bachelor’s in PPE and Political Economy
Original post by Anonymous

It likely means that they accept standalone Foundation Degrees, but not Foundation Years / Year 0’s of another course.

This thread is 6 years old and all the replies above may be obsolete.

Quick Reply

Latest