The Student Room Group

Anyone who has gone from a career to do a PGCE

I'm weighing up the pros and cons of doing a PGCE and can't make a decision. I'm pretty sure it's not possible but is there any chance of doing a part time PGCE? I work a standard 40 hour week. I also want to hear peoples thoughts on whether the move was worth it. I've been offered a bursary for doing a shortage subject comp science - with a 1st but it's 3 times less than my annual salary + fees on top...

Is there anyone who has been in such a situation before around here, I want to know honestly if there were any regrets involved. Faced with such a situation what would you do? I'm looking for people to convince me either way.
Reply 1
Edge Hill offers a flexible PGCE in Computer Science and Information Technology: https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/courses/pgce-secondary-computer-science-and-information-technology/

UCAS has a search function for you to explore other possible options if there are any: http://search.gttr.ac.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun.hse/General/gttr_search/gttr_search.hjx;start=gttr_search.HsForm.run

You haven't mentioned why you are considering this move. The computing bursary for a 1st is £25k and, if your current salary is three times that, then an important consideration for you is the fact that you might not earn that kind of money as a teacher ever. The only way you aren't going to come to regret changing careers is if teaching is something you are truly passionate about and would find fulfilling irrespective of how little the reward and how large the workload is. The best way to determine that is by gaining some classroom experience. Have you done any work in a UK school? If not, gain some experience. It is a requirement before you can apply and it will help you make this decision.

The problem with making a decision based on other people's experiences is that yours would inevitably differ. A lot of it has to do with personality: some people simply cope with the pressures and workload better than others, which allows them to enjoy the positive aspects of the job more. Part of it also has to do with where you train and work. Ultimately, just because some people didn't regret their decision doesn't mean you wouldn't and vice versa. Everyone who goes into teaching does so with the knowledge that there are better paid careers with better conditions out there so most people are making a personal sacrifice of sorts whether they're a career changer or not.

If you have school experience and it reinforced your desire to become a teacher then I say make the leap. It's impossible to determine whether or not you're going to come to regret the decision and, if you don't make the leap, you could be depriving yourself of your perfect job. If even after gaining school experience, you have serious doubts then perhaps making this leap isn't worth it, especially if you are relatively happy in your current career. Which brings me to another question: could you go back to your old career if things didn't work out or is it a profession that is hard to reenter after time away?
Reply 2
Original post by Pierson
Edge Hill offers a flexible PGCE in Computer Science and Information Technology: https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/courses/pgce-secondary-computer-science-and-information-technology/

UCAS has a search function for you to explore other possible options if there are any: http://search.gttr.ac.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun.hse/General/gttr_search/gttr_search.hjx;start=gttr_search.HsForm.run

You haven't mentioned why you are considering this move. The computing bursary for a 1st is £25k and, if your current salary is three times that, then an important consideration for you is the fact that you might not earn that kind of money as a teacher ever. The only way you aren't going to come to regret changing careers is if teaching is something you are truly passionate about and would find fulfilling irrespective of how little the reward and how large the workload is. The best way to determine that is by gaining some classroom experience. Have you done any work in a UK school? If not, gain some experience. It is a requirement before you can apply and it will help you make this decision.

The problem with making a decision based on other people's experiences is that yours would inevitably differ. A lot of it has to do with personality: some people simply cope with the pressures and workload better than others, which allows them to enjoy the positive aspects of the job more. Part of it also has to do with where you train and work. Ultimately, just because some people didn't regret their decision doesn't mean you wouldn't and vice versa. Everyone who goes into teaching does so with the knowledge that there are better paid careers with better conditions out there so most people are making a personal sacrifice of sorts whether they're a career changer or not.

If you have school experience and it reinforced your desire to become a teacher then I say make the leap. It's impossible to determine whether or not you're going to come to regret the decision and, if you don't make the leap, you could be depriving yourself of your perfect job. If even after gaining school experience, you have serious doubts then perhaps making this leap isn't worth it, especially if you are relatively happy in your current career. Which brings me to another question: could you go back to your old career if things didn't work out or is it a profession that is hard to reenter after time away?

Cheers for the reply, quite honest I'd prefer to teach over what I am doing right now. I've not got any UK experience but having taught elsewhere I loved the interaction with students. It was something I naturally found extremely easy. My career I have taken a break from before and got back into it, it's not too hard to get back into problem is i'd take a salary drop most likely.

However I would notice the change in quality of lifestyle with lack of money which is my major concern obviously. Just can't make up my mind, so I am trying to find others to convince me!
Original post by ron_trns
Cheers for the reply, quite honest I'd prefer to teach over what I am doing right now. I've not got any UK experience but having taught elsewhere I loved the interaction with students. It was something I naturally found extremely easy. My career I have taken a break from before and got back into it, it's not too hard to get back into problem is i'd take a salary drop most likely.

However I would notice the change in quality of lifestyle with lack of money which is my major concern obviously. Just can't make up my mind, so I am trying to find others to convince me!

Pierson's post above says it all, really. FWIW, and it's pretty irrelevant really, I dropped out of accountancy to become a teacher, and I've just retired from it after more than 30 years. I learned early on, as it seems you have also done, that money simply isn't everything. There have been many times when I have been frustrated and hacked off with teaching, but never any when I felt that the life I was living as an accountant was more valid or meaningful or preferable. I didn't stick at accountancy long enough to earn big money, so perhaps my insight is even more unhelpful for that than for being a generation out of date, but my accountant friend, who went on right to the very top and earned more money than I could imagine, ended up envying me my more manageable career and lifestyle. I've lived a comfortable life and haven't ever gone without anything I really wanted, and have a comfortable pension to live on even by retiring ten years early. It's your call as to how much you want out of the kind of life that money buys, I guess.
I'm weighing up the pros and cons of doing a PGCE and can't make a decision. I'm pretty sure it's not possible but is there any chance of doing a part time PGCE? I work a standard 40 hour week. I also want to hear peoples thoughts on whether the move was worth it. I've been offered a bursary for doing a shortage subject comp science - with a 1st but it's 3 times less than my annual salary + fees on top...

Is there anyone who has been in such a situation before around here, I want to know honestly if there were any regrets involved. Faced with such a situation what would you do? I'm looking for people to convince me either way.

Im interested to see what you decided to do. I too am looking at applying for the Edge Hill PGCE flexible, although I have been completing the flexible Teaching Learning and Mentoring degree over the last four years at Edge Hill so know how there virtual learning platform works. Has anybody else completed the PGCE flexible?
I have come from a career where I was earning more than quadruple a teachers starting wage. I enjoyed the money but hated the job. I have secured a school direct place, as I feel I could not just be a student. I start in September 2016 and have a job as a TA until then. I am much happier. Less stress than I did in my old job. I cannot wait to start.

As I understand it, from what I have read, and also spoken to friends who are teachers, is that there is absolutely no chance whatsoever to do a PGCE and work at the same time. It is an all consuming two years that you need to throw yourself into in order to truly succeed. I would have thought, even with a flexible one it will be extremely difficult to work also.
Reply 6

Hi, someone i know has got a degree in computing, got their PGCE and is now a secondary computer science teacher and also alevel teacher in comp science.

feel free to ask any questions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending