The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 1
Halls - definitely. No-one I know in my year from my course (of about 240) went into a house for their first year. Halls are a great way to meet new people, and make the home-university transition so much easier.

McG
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
plus you don't have to worry about bills if you go into halls, you pay for everything in your rent which is nice. (esp. as we just got our first gas bill - over £70 each for the quarter :mad: )
Reply 3
Don't think a house will necessarily be cheaper, I pay about 65 quid a week all incl in Lupton (maybe a few quid more, can't quite remember.) Apparently the average student rent in Leeds is £58, you add to that bills (approx a tenner a week, so say) then you're working at around the same figure.
Reply 4
Yeah, but Lupton is one of the least expensive halls residence - I'm in Sentinel Towers (£89/wk) moving into a £62/wk house next year - it'll vary a fair bit. But at least with halls, you know what you're paying. And you don't end up stuck living with people you despise. Like in halls :mad:
Reply 5
Halls definitly, if you're in a house in your first year you'll be totally cut off from the social side of uni, halls are where everybody makes their friends and starts nights out!
Reply 6
zebidee
plus you don't have to worry about bills if you go into halls, you pay for everything in your rent which is nice. (esp. as we just got our first gas bill - over £70 each for the quarter :mad: )

That's huge!! how many of there are you?!?!
Reply 7
debaser
Halls definitly, if you're in a house in your first year you'll be totally cut off from the social side of uni, halls are where everybody makes their friends and starts nights out!

Not completely true though. It depends of people's experiance of halls. I am a first year and got put with people that were the complete opposite to me! it was strange. My boyfriend is in the second year, so I have kinda moved in with him and his friends and my social life has been amazing!! Halls isn't the be all and end all... if you go into halls and really dont get on with the people you live with and their is not oppertunity to move you're kinda screwed. the experiance varies for different people :smile:
I would opt for halls every step of the way.
Reply 9
xemilyx
That's huge!! how many of there are you?!?!

4...we've since rung them up and told them the correct meter reading and now its only £60, but still steep if u ask me. sodding npower. Gona switch I think
Reply 10
Definitely go into halls for first year. Best thing to do.
Haha we got a house next year, 6 bed, GORGEOUS with Pickard and its only £68pw all bills included.... atm i pay about £90pw in carr mills!!!! BIG jump!
Reply 11
As mention the advantages of halls is that bills are included and all your contents is insured. If you are new to a unfamiliar surroundings, moving out for the first time insurance is a good idea.

I'm moving into a house next year, paying £60 for rent, £10 a week for bills, internet and insurance. There's 8 of us, but they aren't from my current flat. You make more friend with people in your halls/ block, so there's more oppourtunity to live with likeminded people. Instead of being stuck with your housemates at home.

Latest