The Student Room Group

I think my relay switch is too noisy, what can be done about it?

Hello.

I've only been hearing this clicking sound for the past few days since getting my car back from somebody who has been fixing it, he replaced the EGR valve. The clicking noise was definitely not there before
I confronted him and he said its just the relay switch.

My question is if I replace the switch will it erase or quiten the sound down?
The noise only began after getting my car back.

Thanks
Third thread on the same subject.
I bet you are fun to know!
Original post by mphysical

Ahh but if you ask the same question often enough eventually someone will give you the answer you want :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by mphysical

Original post by CurlyBen
Ahh but if you ask the same question often enough eventually someone will give you the answer you want :wink:

Yup, 3 rd thread regarding the MAF sensor, but it is NOT the same question, this time I have asked something different, about the same part

So, are you going to help a swer my question, yay or nay ??
Original post by Spoilt Boy
Yup, 3 rd thread regarding the MAF sensor, but it is NOT the same question, this time I have asked something different, about the same part

So, are you going to help a swer my question, yay or nay ??

You've posted 3 threads asking about clicking relays. Relays click. Changing relays won't stop them clicking. For more information read the reply I wrote in this thread.
Reply 5
Its fixable, its a pain in the ass though. You need to diagnose what relay it is (there are several, more on a newer more high tech car), then reseat the relay and replace the sound dampening material.
Reply 6
Original post by CAElite
Its fixable, its a pain in the ass though. You need to diagnose what relay it is (there are several, more on a newer more high tech car), then reseat the relay and replace the sound dampening material.

Thanks! Will that erase the sound if I do that?

Why do you think I can hear it now, but not before?

Cheers
You do know what sound dampening material is don't you?
If not look it up, then that answers the last two of your silly questions.
You are either a troll or a very lazy thinker.
Reply 8
Here's a revelation for you...
Relays that don't click are BROKEN.
Reply 9
Original post by JC.
Here's a revelation for you...
Relays that don't click are BROKEN.

Well hee is a revelation for you

I ttoldyu it wasnt clicking previouslyy
Reply 10
Well hee is a revelation for you

I ttoldyu it wasnt clicking previouslyy

It was, you just didn't notice.

Cheers

Hm, its possible something has knocked the relay and its made the sound more audible. They do get faulty which could be making the clicking more frequent/loudly than it should be but again this is a pain to diagnose.

Realisticly if there are no electrical errors on VAGCOM (your mechanic should be able to check this) the only way to diagnose it is pull the part of your dash containing the relays out (normally on the drivers side next to the door) identify the relay locations then identify by ear which one it is, then replace it (you may aswell if your there) and surround it in sound dampening foam.
Reply 12
Original post by JC.
It was, you just didn't notice.

It wasn't, I would have noticed it. trust me .
Original post by CAElite
Hm, its possible something has knocked the relay and its made the sound more audible. They do get faulty which could be making the clicking more frequent/loudly than it should be but again this is a pain to diagnose.

Realisticly if there are no electrical errors on VAGCOM (your mechanic should be able to check this) the only way to diagnose it is pull the part of your dash containing the relays out (normally on the drivers side next to the door) identify the relay locations then identify by ear which one it is, then replace it (you may aswell if your there) and surround it in sound dampening foam.

I thought the relays were under the bonnet with the fuses, I thought it was as easy as changing a fuse?
the clicking sound is heard from under the glove box so it is under the bonnet, so surely it has nothing to do with the dashboard?

I hear the click when

1. wipers operate on 1st setting.
2. turning key in ignition ( only hear it one click before turning engine on )
3. turning headlights on or high beams ( can't be heard switching parking lights or dipped lights on )
4. pressing the demister button.
5. back wiper

so are they all on the same relay?

please input

thanks

(oh, and how much do switch relays cost approximately?
(edited 8 years ago)
It wasn't, I would have noticed it. trust me .

I thought the relays were under the bonnet with the fuses, I thought it was as easy as changing a fuse?
the clicking sound is heard from under the glove box so it is under the bonnet, so surely it has nothing to do with the dashboard?

I hear the click when

1. wipers operate on 1st setting.
2. turning key in ignition ( only hear it one click before turning engine on )
3. turning headlights on or high beams ( can't be heard switching parking lights or dipped lights on )
4. pressing the demister button.
5. back wiper

so are they all on the same relay?

please input

thanks

(oh, and how much do switch relays cost approximately?

DIfferent relays are on different circuits and control different actions in different cars in different places. Without knowing your car no one can say for sure. They may well be under, above or behind the glovebox if this is where you are hearing the noise from.

As JC said. Working relays make a noise. It's silent ones you don't want. If it's just a clicking relay then just get on with it and drive it until it becomes more obvious/breaks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending