The Student Room Group

Graduate diploma

Has anyone here done a graduate diploma I'd like to do one in evolutionary biology but I'm not sure if it would be too hard how was it for you?
Reply 1
Original post by jonathanemptage
Has anyone here done a graduate diploma I'd like to do one in evolutionary biology but I'm not sure if it would be too hard how was it for you?

A PGDip will be the first two taught terms of a Masters course, with associated coursework and exams. The only difference between most Masters and PGDips, is that with the latter you don't do a dissertation/independent project. A PGDip is no less rigorous than the taught elements from a standard Masters - they'll be the same thing.

So basically, the change will be from undergrad (if that's your most recent experience) to Masters. That will be different for different courses - and potentially for different people on the same course. There should be a step up from undergrad, maybe with one or two academic skills modules which go over some undergrad material to bring everyone up to the same level. If the teaching is good and your abilities match the course requirements, then most students will cope. Some will find it easy, some will find it awkward. There's a lot more independent work and you have to be pretty motivated.

Mine was a step up, but the teaching and support were good and I managed well. I had to pkan my time very carefully, especially around a coursework pile-up in the second term, when I had eight deadlines in six weeks. It was pretty full-on and I worked on it six or seven days a week for a year. Not evolutionary biology though
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending