The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

flaty flat flat hunting for year two

When are you all starting to look for flats for next year? I've pretty much worked out who I am living with, so thats taken care of and we've started looking online at a few properties, but when is everyone actually planning on viewing them? i was told by older friends at various other unis that by the end of Feb I needed to have a flat sorted, and by the start of March signed the contract... however that doesn't seem to be happening in Edinburgh and I don't know whether I should be worried or not. Also, are people coming up for the festival? I am doing camp america this year so won't be, but the people I am living with want to meaning I'll have to pay rent up here over festival time which is annoying... do you think there is any way I could rent my room out to someone else for the month?

Anyway got to go now because I have a linguistics rep meeting to go to. Is anyone else a rep and think it is the most pointless job in the world, or is it just me? I went to one meeting last term and ate hobnobs, which was highly constructive.

Happy Valentines Day! Apparently there is some kind of experimental Speed Dating going on in Teviot tonight. The idea is you do it seriously as they want to see if the theory is true that people are attracted to someone who looks like them, as you're supposedly supposed to think the 'ideal' person is your parent of the opposite sex to you. So I am supposed to love my dad, however, considering I have no idea what he looks like I don't think that is necessarily the case! Anyway, it all sounds rather cool, a psychology student was harassing me in Potterrow trying to make me go even though I don't need it.

Emma xxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Are you looking at univ accomodation, or just trying to find something on your own??
It would be good if someone helped with a ranking of the different types of self catered accomodation/flats available..
I'm getting nervous as well about finding a place as everyone seems to have at least some sort of idea of what they'll be doing - I haven't got a clue and too busy to look/think about it now!
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
I called a letting agents yesterday about seeing a flat. At this agents (DJ Alexander), anything they had listed now was for let now, and you had to sign a lease within 2 weeks. They only require a month's notice, so anything out in June/July/August won't be listed yet. So no, I wouldn't say you have to start looking now. If you're taking a flat over from friends in 4th year, might be worth talking to them. Otherwise, a lot of flats that will be available when you're looking to move won't be listed now.

And to Arod: I'm pretty sure she's looking for private flats. Most second years live in private flats, partly because you can't keep living in Pollock except as a House assistant, and partly because other first years in self-catered flats don't get to choose their own flatmates. After first year, you can move in with friends.

The Edinburgh wiki has general info on the different accomodation types, as do other, older posts, so I won't repeat it all here. If you're from Canada, you should be able to get uni accomodation, no sweat, and you'll probably get your first choice. That's the best way to go first year, especially when you're working from abroad (I came here from the states, so I know how this one goes). Have you had an offer yet? Once you get an offer, you ought to get information on applying for accomodatiion.
Reply 3
I'm so confused, I thought arod was already in first year and lived in Pollock....

Anyway, yeah I am talking about private stuff for second year. It suddenly dawned on us the other day that we only have about 2 and a half months left in our lovely flat. I've got some friends in 4th year whos flat I'm interested in, but not really sure whats happening with that yet as they might be staying in Edinburgh after they graduate anyway.

Its so annoying, I'd really like to get flats sorted sooner than later, and my friends at other uni's have signed contracts for september already so i feel like im leaving it really late even though I can't actually do anything yet.

jarvis: is DJ alexander one of the ones on nicholson street? i might go in and ask about a few flats just to have a viewing, even though i have no intention of signing a lease. Just to see what kind of property you get for various prices. Is that what you did? were they ok with that? did you get to see the flat?

Edinburgh is so expensive, my mates in other places have got proper houses for next year, we can hardly afford 4th floor flats...
Grrrr....I can't even think about flats until I hear about my job application- I've applied to stay on as a House Assistant, so I can't commit to anything (or anyone for that matter) until I know whether I've got that. Which isn't for another month.
Reply 5
oxymoronic
I'm so confused, I thought arod was already in first year and lived in Pollock....

Anyway, yeah I am talking about private stuff for second year. It suddenly dawned on us the other day that we only have about 2 and a half months left in our lovely flat. I've got some friends in 4th year whos flat I'm interested in, but not really sure whats happening with that yet as they might be staying in Edinburgh after they graduate anyway.

Its so annoying, I'd really like to get flats sorted sooner than later, and my friends at other uni's have signed contracts for september already so i feel like im leaving it really late even though I can't actually do anything yet.

jarvis: is DJ alexander one of the ones on nicholson street? i might go in and ask about a few flats just to have a viewing, even though i have no intention of signing a lease. Just to see what kind of property you get for various prices. Is that what you did? were they ok with that? did you get to see the flat?

Edinburgh is so expensive, my mates in other places have got proper houses for next year, we can hardly afford 4th floor flats...

I've not seen DJ Alexander on Nicolson Street, I don't think. My mate and I were looking online on one of the websites EUSA suggested. We were looking at different letting agencies by searching for specific criteria--area of town, number of rooms, price range. We didn't bother looking at the flat, because it had already been taken up (and possibly moved into). The woman at the letting agency said the websites weren't always the most up to date, so I'm not sure what we're going to do. We'll probably actually go into a letting agency and ask around, but check online as well to see what they say there. One thing: you know to avoid Grant Management, right? They have an absolutely absymal reputation...
Reply 6
Yeah I've heard about Grant Management, apparently they're not the nicest of people! I love all the graffiti on their signs in Potterrow toilets (i assume it'll be the same in the lads loo) which slags them off constantly. Several of my older friends have said to avoid the agencies completley and go private but i'm not sure how you'd go about doing that, as they all got their flats through someones parents buying it, or family friends, and i don't have that.

What parts of town are you looking at? We want to stay in Marchmont.
Reply 7
We were thinking Old Town, ideally. Possibly New Town, but that's £££, so I'm kind of hoping we don't end up staying there, unless we can find quite a reasonable place. We may look at Marchmont, but we're not huge fans of the area (we hate loud music playing at all hours, as we've gotten in halls)...
Reply 8
yes, good websites are gumtree, citylets.co.uk and lettingweb.com

im hoping to stay somewhere in newington, buccleuch street would be perfect :biggrin:
Reply 9
oxymoronic

Correct, I'm in first yr, in the college of sci and engineering. So ideally I'd like to be somewhere near the Kings Buildings... But how do you find these places? Wish there was somewhere or someone who can tell you which places to avoid, which are good and any other pitfalls e.g. no internet access in the flat, any additional costs, etc. As an international student, I hope to be working May-Sept and won't be in the UK to go flat hunting, so have to get it done now.
Reply 10
I thought that the universtiy had accomodation for the un-first year people.

I just looked and this link might not work - not coz its not sticky or whatever you call it (I don't know much about this ... ) but sometimes you copy n paste web addresses and it takes you back to the homepage instead of the individual page . . . anyway scroll to the bottom and it says to contact the 'Allocations Division' or something

http://www.accom.ed.ac.uk/accom_info/accommodation_guide/Accommodation_Other_Options.htm

You probabaly know this but don't wanna stay in uni accomodation anymore haha but I (not even a uni student yet) was just trying to help :smile:
Reply 11
Where abouts is Newington? As my flatmate this year is talking about moving to there but I looked on a map and its way past Pollock, so I don't want to be there, but she said its on Nicholson Street so I'm abit confused. Marchmont isn't loud music at all! Its a mix of students/families living here and its really quiet and lovely, which is surprising, but I find it really quiet at night, occassionally you get the drunks coming back at 3am making a noise but you'd get that anywhere students live I think. I am totally in love with the area, I really don't want to move away! But everyone is different.

arod- you have to do it all yourself, its called being an adult. Seriously, every flat you look at will be different so its a case of talking to all the landlords and asking about internet, additional costs etc like you'd do when you're buying a house. Most people will be flat hunting in the next few months, as evidently after May when we all move most people won't be in Edinburgh to spend a few weeks pottering around flats, so don't worry about it. Even though we are British students it doesn't mean we'll be in Ed all summer stealing all the good flats as we'll be going home and working too!

sarah- yeah thanks for that, but you can only stay in uni flats/halls if you apply to be a resident assistant, which Michael is doing but I don't want to. And I'd hate to live with a bunch of first years if I wasn't one! The uni does rent out some flats around town, but the general concenus is to aviod them like the plauge (so I've heard) as the uni doesn't really bother about non first years. Where are you thinking of applying for accommodation?
In almost all cases the flat will not come with internet... In all likelihood, there will a BT phone line that's disconnected, so if you choose, you can call up BT and start up a fresh contract with them... or go cable if you are in the right area. From there you can then think about internet. Most flats also don't include bills in the rent and again, you can choose which providers you with to use for Gas and Elec (water comes free as part of the free council tax). Internet and phone can take up to 2 or 3 weeks to sort which is a bit of a pain but brill once they're sorted.

Newington is quite a large area... From wikipedia: "It is bounded to the east by Dalkeith Rd, to the west by Causewayside, to the North by East and West Preston St, and to the south by East and West Mayfield" Although my address is in Newington and is the next street North from W & E Preston St. But yeh... some area of Newington are great cos they're really close (like where I live :biggrin:) and some can be a good 30 mins walk from the central area.

About Grant Management... They had a little bit in Student last week trying to defend themselves and to be fair it seemed as if the claims made against them weren't entirely their fault and things that were wrong are being fixed - for example I think there was a case of a leaky roof that hadn't been fixed for ages, but it turned out it was the council's job to do it, and after lots of chasing GM had the repair done by their contractor. (or something similar... I haven't got the paper to hand).... So don't be too quick to dismiss them there have been a few happy people that rent through them! In fact 80% of tenants would recommend them to a friend (just found the paper!) If the perfect flat came along and was at the right price, I'd probably go with them... well maybe, with a bit of persuasion!

About looking for flats at the moment... I wouldn't worry too much, flats come up all the time. In my first year I managed to rent out fairly nice flat on Dalkeith Rd on something like the 4th Sept, and there were several we looked at, including one one Rankeillor St. Obviously if you've got a group of people together and want to get the stress over and done with then start looking, but don't worry too much about it. The problem with looking at flats now is that you are unlikely to get leases beginning in sept, so will have to pay over the summer (although in the long run doesn't really matter much because you'll have to pay over next summer instead!). Also, the more flats you can view the better, then you know the benchmark standards and can really appreciate a nice flat when you get it!

Uni accom for non first years is pretty shoddy. They don't make the best landlords and I think the accom can be overpriced when compared with similar privately let flats.

Websites i've found useful in the past are

www.lettingweb.co.uk
www.citylets.co.uk
www.espc.co.uk
www.studentpad.co.uk (especially good if you just want a room)
and the accom bit on the EUSA forum is also quite useful for single rooms.

Umm that's about all I can think of... but if you're wondering about anything else I can do my best to help as a seasoned flat hunter!

Best of Luck!
Reply 13
ok, by newington i meant the area around nicholson street...i would also love the meadows, buccleuch street, etc. --> simply something really close!!!
Reply 14
Well, tbh I don't really know yet. I've not looked into it in too great detail because I haven't got a med offer yet and I don't wanna do chemistry haha. Originally I was thinking about self catered - but if the catered works out cheaper then I'll apply for there - cmon you'd be getting food made for you! Anyone have any experience of the food? I'm only fussy when it comes to meat so if theres pasta, pizza etc etc no matter how dire it looks I don't mind!
There's always pasta and pizza. However, the food is very dire. I will post in detail about it later, I'm a little busy just now but it is truly awful.
Reply 16
Are you still busy Michael? =]
I have been actually- I've just been jumping on here every now and then to offer very quick advice, but I've been immensely busy with essays. In fact, I've not actually been to bed yet and my first tutorial is in 50 minutes.

I'm intending to write a pretty much definitive guide to Pollock Halls food, so that will take me a wee while which, up until today, I've not had. And, given my walking dead feeling, right now ain't the best time. I'll have it up tomorrow though.
Reply 18
Aww - well I hope you don't have a nervous breakdown :smile:
Still writing this- I'm trying to be as detailed as possible, but something pretty major has come up. Check the wiki at the weekend.

Latest

Trending

Trending