The Student Room Group

Am I a complete hypocrite... I don't want to date short guys but I'm petite myself?

I'm in a bit of a conflict, I'm recently single and I've met a guy he seems really nice... but he's short.

I'm short too.

I want to end up with someone tall because I personally find being short so frustrating and I want my kids to have to have the best chance of being an average height. I don't think my frustration is a complex inside my head... this world isn't built for people of my height (5ft). Here is a list:

- Feeling like I can't shop independently because I can't reach stuff

- and then (if it's a clothes shop) 90% of things in the shop being too long and looking ridiculous.

- I can't reach stuff in general... have a 'stool' to reach stuff in the kitchen.

- I kept having accidents in my first car... when I got my second car with a height adjusted seat, realised I couldn't see properly in my first car. Guess what, no more accidents.

- Average woman portion sizes are too large for me. I can't eat that much without putting on weight.

- Have to work hard at being taken seriously as I'm: 'cute, ickle and adorable'.

These are definetly first world problems... but still, every day, it becomes annoying and I'd rather my children go without these annoyances.

However, I feel like I'm being a dickhead if this is the only reason I pass up a guy....especially since I'm tiny myself and my brother is tiny but such a great guy. Is there a chance I'll get over this if I date him?

Scroll to see replies

Yeah it makes sense I know a lot of friends that are the same size or a inch or two taller than their parents.

Just find a guy that's like 5''10+
Reply 2
Original post by Andrew657Thomas
Yeah it makes sense I know a lot of friends that are the same size or a inch or two taller than their parents.

Just find a guy that's like 5''10+

Not a problem with most guys...

If trying to find a guy from my religious background... they are shorter on average.

I don't know how important finding someone who shares that is to me though (I'm not that religious).

I'm very confused... I feel like I've been in a relationship so long I don't remember how to date or what's important to look for.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm in a bit of a conflict, I'm recently single and I've met a guy he seems really nice... but he's short.

I'm short too.

I want to end up with someone tall because I personally find being short so frustrating and I want my kids to have to have the best chance of being an average height. I don't think my frustration is a complex inside my head... this world isn't built for people of my height (5ft). Here is a list:

- and then (if it's a clothes shop) 90% of things in the shop being too long and looking ridiculous.

- I can't reach stuff in general... have a 'stool' to reach stuff in the kitchen.

- I kept having accidents in my first car... when I got my second car with a height adjusted seat, realised I couldn't see properly in my first car. Guess what, no more accidents.

- Average woman portion sizes are too large for me. I can't eat that much without putting on weight.

- Have to work hard at being taken seriously as I'm: 'cute, ickle and adorable'.

These are definetly first world problems... but still, every day, it becomes annoying and I'd rather my children go without these annoyances.

However, I feel like I'm being a dickhead if this is the only reason I pass up a guy....especially since I'm tiny myself and my brother is tiny but such a great guy. Is there a chance I'll get over this if I date him?

I am the same height as you and I COMPLETELY sympathise with your plights. :rolleyes: With regards to the guy, no, I don't think it's hypocritical because you can't help what you are attracted to and your reasons for wanting someone taller are entirely understandable.

However, you might as well try ou this guy. You might not find his personality attractive after a few dates anyway so you can move on without feeling like you rejected him just because of his height. :smile:

Also

Anonymous

@Friar Chris, I feel a sudden urge to tag you in. I wonder why. Hm. :hmmmm:

If trying to find a guy from my religious background... they are shorter on average.

how odd
Reply 5
Original post by littlenorthernlass
I am the same height as you and I COMPLETELY sympathise with your plights. :rolleyes: With regards to the guy, no, I don't think it's hypocritical because you can't help what you are attracted to and your reasons for wanting someone taller are entirely understandable.

However, you might as well try ou this guy. You might not find his personality attractive after a few dates anyway so you can move on without feeling like you rejected him just because of his height. :smile:

Also

@Friar Chris, I feel a sudden urge to tag you in. I wonder why. Hm. :hmmmm:

Haha yeah good point, I'm not sure he's intellectual enough for me either! I'm just in such a low place, scared I'l get attached too easily. I'm at the really miss my ex calling me everyday and feel quite lonely stage. Wondering if he really was 1 in a million as other guys seem so unreliable with contact. Not sure I should date when I'm like this. On the other hand, might help get me out of this funk.
Im 5ft9 and a girl and in our college there are very few boys taller than me. :0 and if they are tall they are over 6ft
Reminds me a little bit of this.

Spoiler

I'm short too.

Why don't you call yourself small rather than petite?
Reply 9
Original post by callum_law

Spoiler

Na you forget women have preferances but men should find everyone attractive
I don't think it's hypocritical at all, that way no one could ever be attracted to something different to them without being a hypocrite, which is clearly absurd.

I don't know how important finding someone who shares that is to me though (I'm not that religious).

I'm very confused... I feel like I've been in a relationship so long I don't remember how to date or what's important to look for.

what is your religious background?
Reply 12

Would they grow taller if they stopped believing or changed religion?

Don't go out with runts, people will think you can't attract normal guys.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hypocritical? I don't see how it could be.
How is religious background and height related???
Original post by alldayniqqa
How is religious background and height related???

jewish guys are on average... shorter than average :wink:
I wouldn't call it hypocritical. Rejecting a guy purely based on height is inherently extremely superficial but that doesn't make it wrong I guess (and it makes evolutionary sense). If you're that interested in how your children will turn out then there is a calculation that can be done to estimate height... height of mother + height of father; if a girl minus five, if a boy add five; then divide by two.
Original post by callum_law

Spoiler

I don't understand how anyone can be that stupid
Original post by Juichiro
Why don't you call yourself small rather than petite?

I wondered this too....
Original post by phunky_fresh
I wondered this too....

Eng Lit technique... do not use the same descriptive word too close together?
I wouldn't call it hypocritical. Rejecting a guy purely based on height is inherently extremely superficial but that doesn't make it wrong I guess (and it makes evolutionary sense). If you're that interested in how your children will turn out then there is a calculation that can be done to estimate height... height of mother + height of father; if a girl minus five, if a boy add five; then divide by two.

I don't understand how anyone can be that stupid

Why is it stupid? Two short people = short kids. My brother is very short and his wife is an inch taller them him. He never dated anyone short like me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending