The Student Room Group

Which A Level Subject has the most essays?

What are the more essay based subjects an which has the most. I've chosen my subjects for AS (Spanish, Maths, Psychology and Biology) but I'm just curious
Reply 1
I did history and that was quite hefty, our exams for AS were 2 30mark essays then a 20mark and a 40mark essay, so added up to 120
then at A2 it was one 30 and one 40 mark all together
plus 2 25mark coursework essays too.
I've heard other subjects did more essays though like English and Psychology but I didn't do either so not sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
Psychology WJEC FTW. You will die trying to remember all of the material. You can try :u:
Reply 3
Politics was nothing but essays... one of the exams for A2 was 2 1-hour long essays.
English Literature has a lot :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by EllainKahlo
Psychology WJEC FTW. You will die trying to remember all of the material. You can try :u:

I guess luckily for me I'm doing AQA
Maths is just pure exams.
Original post by blitzchika
What are the more essay based subjects an which has the most. I've chosen my subjects for AS (Spanish, Maths, Psychology and Biology) but I'm just curious

I did four essay subjects at AS level - Politics, History, English Literature and English Language. I'd say History and Lit are probably tied regarding the most essays - exactly how many depended on where we were in the course and the teacher. All of my subjects had an extremely large set of essays though and at times I felt like I was drowning in them, but I don't regret my choices.
HISTORY OCR HAS A 70MARK QUESTION FOR AS (and a 30mark) IN ONE EXAM M8

Posted from TSR Mobile
English Literature for definite - the coursework essays were between 1,500 words and 2,000 words and they required a lot of redrafting to get things 100% as you wanted. If you like writing it's not a problem, but for the people that hated writing, they always complained about how tedious it was.

In the actual exams the essays they were a bit different - rather than a huge long piece of writing, the exams are split up so you write numerous shorter essays (which is potentially better because if you don't do amazing on one of them, you can usually redeem yourself in the others rather than only having one essay and messing up the entire paper...) I did AQA Specification B, so at AS the exam was two hours - Section A was split into two 30 minute essays, and Section B was a one hour essay (though it could still end up quite lengthy if you're a quick writer!), and at A2 the exam was also two hours, with two essays, one Section A and the other Section B.
History obvs. Every answer is an essay

Quick Reply

Latest