The Student Room Group

Media Studies or Law for A-level ?

I dont know whether to take law or media studies for a - level, i got an 'A' in media studies at gcse.
But wanted opinions on the subject and whether it is easy / a do-able alevel ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jessmillerxo
I dont know whether to take law or media studies for a - level, i got an 'A' in media studies at gcse.
But wanted opinions on the subject and whether it is easy / a do-able alevel ?

they are both subjects that top unis would not respect, the thing is you may think doing easy a levels can get you into a top uni, subjects are either facilitating or non facilitating, doing all non facilitating subjects will do you no good with russel group unis if you're intending to go to them, however if you are doing 3 facilitating subjects already and planning do law or media then that may be okay as some top unis do not mind you taking atleast 1 non facilitating. Google facilitating and non facilitating subjects if you do not know what that is! but yeah I have friends who do media and find it quite easy, I do not know about law though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
if i were you i'd do Law! i just finished my a levels and I got an A overall in law which i was proud of!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
100% do law
Reply 4
Original post by Raven1998
they are both subjects that top unis would not respect, the thing is you may think doing easy a levels can get you into a top uni, subjects are either facilitating or non facilitating, doing all non facilitating subjects will do you no good with russel group unis if you're intending to go to them, however if you are doing 3 facilitating subjects already and planning do law or media then that may be okay as some top unis do not mind you taking atleast 1 non facilitating. Google facilitating and non facilitating subjects if you do not know what that is! but yeah I have friends who do media and find it quite easy, I do not know about law though

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am not necisarrily looking to go to a russel group uni, and i am taking English Literature, history and photography so im taking 2 facilitating already which i have checked and is the minimum, i just want to take subjects which i know i am going to get a good grade in rather than taking a facilitating one and not doing so well.
Thanks.
Reply 5
Original post by saxsan4
100% do law

I tried it in induction week and didnt enjoy it and found it quite boring, so does it get better as the course goes along ?
Reply 6
Original post by xsarawr
if i were you i'd do Law! i just finished my a levels and I got an A overall in law which i was proud of!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats so good ! Would you say it is a really challenging subject for a-level or generally quite easy?
Reply 7
Thats so good ! Would you say it is a really challenging subject for a-level or generally quite easy?

aw thanks! well i found it challenging at first but then i found it easy because i revised as i went along and made revision cards!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I teach Law at a sixth form college and I would say GO FOR IT! It's fun and the Unis love to see it on your application :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Katieann3
I teach Law at a sixth form college and I would say GO FOR IT! It's fun and the Unis love to see it on your application :smile:

I have heard lots of positive things about it now! do students usually do well in it ?
Original post by Katieann3

That's a lie! loads of uni's say having it will be a direct disadvantage to gaining entry to their course
Original post by Birkenhead
AS or A2?

If the latter, don't bother with either or them and focus your energy on doing better in the other subjects.

Its AS and my school recommends taking 4 so i have to pick a fourth one and I dont know what to decide. I will most likely drop it after 1 year.
Original post by vis break
That's a lie! loads of uni's say having it will be a direct disadvantage to gaining entry to their course

Is that all unis or just the top ones ?
I tried it in induction week and didnt enjoy it and found it quite boring, so does it get better as the course goes along ?

yes, but it is also MILES better than the other subject you suggested, I am sure you will enjoy it much more
Original post by lyrate
If you have a good Media teacher, it can be a load of fun. It's not a complete cake-walk, and can get challenging at A2. I personally loved it -- it struck just the right balance between creativity and theory, and it was just a fun time. I've never done Law, though.

Yes I am considering it ! Is the exam really challenging ?
Original post by Birkenhead
Do you have a rough idea of what your five uni choices will be (assuming)?

No not yet, but i have previously thought about Warwick but if my grades dont work out then maybe somewhere like Brighton !
Original post by saxsan4
yes, but it is also MILES better than the other subject you suggested, I am sure you will enjoy it much more

Do you know anything about media then ?
I am not necisarrily looking to go to a russel group uni, and i am taking English Literature, history and photography so im taking 2 facilitating already which i have checked and is the minimum, i just want to take subjects which i know i am going to get a good grade in rather than taking a facilitating one and not doing so well.
Thanks.

Most universities won't even accept Media Studies as an A-level. You're probably better off taking Law.
Do you know anything about media then ?

A lot of unis wont accept media as a credible subject
Original post by saxsan4
A lot of unis wont accept media as a credible subject

But people have also said they dont accept law either !

Quick Reply

Latest