History b
Science core b
Science add c
Food tech b
French b
Psychology a
Re a
Maths c
So I was thinking of retaking maths to get a b or a, since I've noticed some unis asking for this.. Is it worth it if I want to study modern languages at a top uni? Also, when are the retakes?
Original post by Picola123
Here's my GCSEs
English Lang a
English lit a
History b
Science core b
Science add c
Food tech b
French b
Psychology a
Re a
Maths c
So I was thinking of retaking maths to get a b or a, since I've noticed some unis asking for this.. Is it worth it if I want to study modern languages at a top uni? Also, when are the retakes?

The retakes could potentially be this November, if you so wish. I personally would especially as many unis want a grade B in maths, and it is one of the most important GCSE's, however you can get exceptions, it's up to you and do you feel you can improve your grade?

Also, amazing results by the way! Congrats :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Calzs34
The retakes could potentially be this November, if you so wish. I personally would especially as many unis want a grade B in maths, and it is one of the most important GCSE's, however you can get exceptions, it's up to you and do you feel you can improve your grade?

I think I could, as although I've never had strong maths skills, my revision was very rushed. Is it possible to retake next year?
I think I could, as although I've never had strong maths skills, my revision was very rushed. Is it possible to retake next year?

Speak to your schools exams officer and see what they have to say .

Good Luck!

Like the poster above me said speak to your exams officer, I'm sure you can, however there will be a cost involved, either way it will not do any harm to retake it, as long as you are not spending soo much time you cannot concentrate on your AS/A-Levels.

It isn't 100% required to have a B, but it will help :smile:.
Reply 5
Original post by Pure class
Speak to your schools exams officer and see what they have to say .

Good Luck!

There's no way of contacting my school right now, so do you think it would be enough time to study for the exam if I asked the day I go to sixth form? I'm kind of panicking, and thinking of whether I should start now, though I don't know whether the content differs or not?
Thanks for the replies
There's no way of contacting my school right now, so do you think it would be enough time to study for the exam if I asked the day I go to sixth form? I'm kind of panicking, and thinking of whether I should start now, though I don't know whether the content differs or not?
Thanks for the replies

Call your school telephone number - send it a lot of emails. Phone your local educatonal authority . Get your parents involved .
Reply 7
Thanks for the replies

The earliest retake is November so even if you don't start revising until you go back that still gives you two months of revision for one subject, that should be more than enough. Good luck if you do retake.
Reply 8
If you aren't sure whether you should resit or not, then maybe ask you exams officer what the breakdown was, as if you just missed a B then I am sure this could be considered by a uni!

Good luck if you do resit!!
I am in the same boat as you and also got very similar gcse results! I too am worried about my C grade in maths and sent my teacher an email asking how close I was to a B and if I should get it remarked, if it turns out that I was not close enough I am going to resit in November. I advice you to do the same because by the looks of it most unis look for a B grade in maths.

If you are unable to contact your school or get in touch with your maths teacher before school begins, I'd start to revise maths from now...good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest