The Student Room Group

Parents want me to work HELP!

My parents want me to work while going college I say no please help. What should I say to get them off my back?

Also I attend college for 5 days will probably arrive at home by 6 pm enough time to eat then sleep and wake up at 6 then I have weekends left. I have plenty of work most likely for college that I need to do I'm doing maths chem bio physics not some Btecs.

I forgot to mention I also volunteer on weekends I'd rather keep volunteering than work. I volunteer 8 hours over the weekend so barely a couple of hours the get some work in for college.

EDIT: The question is ' What should I say to get them off my back?' idk what you guys are reading.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It's not an unreasonable request tbh, doing 12 hours a week isn't hard to manage alongside college at all. However, you could just say you're looking and it's hard to find one. I think I spent months looking before I found one suitable that I actually got, so it's more than believable if you find it difficult to find a job.
Reply 2
Original post by k4l397
It's not an unreasonable request tbh, doing 12 hours a week isn't hard to manage alongside college at all. However, you could just say you're looking and it's hard to find one. I think I spent months looking before I found one suitable that I actually got, so it's more than believable if you find it difficult to find a job.

Don't mean to be offensive but what you doing at A-level?

Also I attend college for 5 days will probably arrive at home by 6 pm enough time to eat then sleep and wake up at 6 then I have weekends left. I have plenty of work most likely for college that I need to do I'm doing maths chem bio physics not some Btecs.
Reply 3
How far away is your college if you're up at 6 and not home til 6 again?!
If you can't commit to a 6 or 8 hour shift on a Saturday or Sunday, there's something wrong, regardless of how "not Btec" your qualifications are.
Reply 4
Original post by Katie_p
How far away is your college if you're up at 6 and not home til 6 again?!
If you can't commit to a 6 or 8 hour shift on a Saturday or Sunday, there's something wrong, regardless of how "not Btec" your qualifications are.

I forgot to mention I also volunteer on weekends I'd rather keep volunteering than work. I volunteer 8 hours over the weekend so barely a couple of hours the get some work in for college.

# STEMMASTERRACEPROBLEMS
Reply 5
Original post by Shadoo
My parents want me to work while going college I say no please help. What should I say to get them off my back?

You can work part time but just manage your time well. If you feel it is too much just explain to your parents. Also, towards exam season you shouldn't really be working. You should work hard on getting good grades. Just be open to your parents :smile: The A-Levels you're doing aren't easy.
I think that if you get a job when you don't want one it's a recipe for disaster. What are the reasons they want you to get a job? Do your family have much money or are they struggling to support you?
Original post by Shadoo

# STEMMASTERRACEPROBLEMS

You need a job at 16 if you want to be able to afford to move out before you turn 20
Original post by Shadoo
Don't mean to be offensive but what you doing at A-level?

As it happens I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry.... No need to be rude. Like I said you can just say it's hard to find a job - it is so it's hardly a bad excuse. I'm finished at Sixth Form now but I used to go 5 days a week and worked 14 hours at the weekend, like I said, it's more than managable. Before you suggest it, yes I got good grades too, it's more than managable. The only period that I agree having a job is hard to manage is exams.
Reply 9
Original post by k4l397
As it happens I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry.... No need to be rude. Like I said you can just say it's hard to find a job - it is so it's hardly a bad excuse. I'm finished at Sixth Form now but I used to go 5 days a week and worked 14 hours at the weekend, like I said, it's more than managable. Before you suggest it, yes I got good grades too, it's more than managable. The only period that I agree having a job is hard to manage is exams.

Original post by Hevachan
I think that if you get a job when you don't want one it's a recipe for disaster. What are the reasons they want you to get a job? Do your family have much money or are they struggling to support you?

Apparently my parents think I don't go out enough and there is plenty of money
Original post by Shadoo

# STEMMASTERRACEPROBLEMS

Unless the volunteering is directly linked to your future career plans I would recommend getting a job. The longer you go without employment, the harder it is to find a first job. And although voluntary work helps, it doesn't help anywhere near as much as a job.

Although your parents should keep feeding you etc. they are quite within their rights to say if you want luxuries you have to pay for it.

The only reasons that I would say you shouldn't look for a job is if you have personal circumstances that would make studying and working impossible (health problems, caring responsibilities etc.) or you live in a tiny village with no public transport.
Reply 11
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Unless the volunteering is directly linked to your future career plans I would recommend getting a job. The longer you go without employment, the harder it is to find a first job. And although voluntary work helps, it doesn't help anywhere near as much as a job.

Although your parents should keep feeding you etc. they are quite within their rights to say if you want luxuries you have to pay for it.

The only reasons that I would say you shouldn't look for a job is if you have personal circumstances that would make studying and working impossible (health problems, caring responsibilities etc.) or you live in a tiny village with no public transport.

Lol? didnt ask for any luxuries they just saying I need to go out even though i already do. I also believe working atm would be detrimental to my health also u failed to answer what I asked.
Original post by Shadoo

EDIT: The question is ' What should I say to get them off my back?' idk what you guys are reading.

To be honest, i would just switch out the volunteering for some paid work to keep them quite. My mum used to be the same, i just used to pretend to apply for jobs and that i didn't get an interview. :biggrin: I wouldn't have been able to handle A levels and a job, i did chemistry, biology, maths and geography.
Reply 13
Original post by Hayley Williams
To be honest, i would just switch out the volunteering for some paid work to keep them quite. My mum used to be the same, i just used to pretend to apply for jobs and that i didn't get an interview. :biggrin: I wouldn't have been able to handle A levels and a job, i did chemistry, biology, maths and geography.

Cheers finally a sense making answer on this thread that is relevant to what I am asking. I will try the I applied for jobs and didn't get interview.
Reply 14
To be honest from what you've written here, you sound arrogant and that you are just looking for excuses because oh no, work sounds too hard and for the lower mortals since you're 'not some BTEC' student.

In which case I support your parents. Get a job.
Reply 15
But how do you get money? Do your parents just give it to you? I can't believe you're actively looking for excuses to lie to them so you can just live off their money...

I know you don't want one, but it really teaches you so much! I did Biology, English Literature, Geography, Philosophy and Ethics, and EPQ in Year 12 whilst holding down a part-time retail job that averaged about 9-10 hours a week (up to 19 during busy periods), and struggling with a health condition. It sounds like a nightmare when it's phrased like that, but that was the best decision I made in Year 12! I made some of my best friends to this day in that job - even last week, I went to one of their weddings even though I haven't worked there for almost a year - and it's completely different to being friends with people at sixth form or college, because it's needed escapism from the all-consuming nature of sixth form. Plus, the money meant I could go out for a meal with my other friends and feel guilt-free, as well as feeling independent with self-respect. It's quite easy to balance work and A-Levels, in fact, it means you utilise your time much more efficiently when you do get it - something I learnt in the last few months of Year 13 when I eventually quit to do my exams. Working didn't compromise my grades at all...

Having done a science subject and three essay subjects, I promise you the essay subjects were MUCH more work than the science one. Like in maths and science, you get a worksheet of problems for homework which you just have to solve, whereas in essay subjects you'll have to get to grips with complex ideas, formulate your own stance on them, then cram them into a 1,000 word essay or something. Sciences might be 'more difficult' in some people's opinion but they're often not as time-consuming, which is your problem here.

Just be open-minded about potentially getting a job. I'm sorry that this sounds like a lecture, but I promise you it will be worth it. If you're reluctant, try applying to jobs you think you might enjoy first, rather than every single vacancy advertised. You're going to struggle to get a job when you really need one if you have literally no experience, even with job interviews. In a few years you'll probably cringe at the idea of living off your parents, I sure do now. Better to try and get a job now whilst there's lots of vacancies from uni students! Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 16
I don't get any money from them and any money I do need I earn myself through the internet. They only pay for my food once a while.

Original post by Daxen
But how do you get money? Do your parents just give it to you? I can't believe you're actively looking for excuses to lie to them so you can just live off their money...

I know you don't want one, but it really teaches you so much! I did Biology, English Literature, Geography, Philosophy and Ethics, and EPQ in Year 12 whilst holding down a part-time retail job that averaged about 9-10 hours a week (up to 19 during busy periods), and struggling with a health condition. It sounds like a nightmare when it's phrased like that, but that was the best decision I made in Year 12! I made some of my best friends to this day in that job - even last week, I went to one of their weddings even though I haven't worked there for almost a year - and it's completely different to being friends with people at sixth form or college, because it's needed escapism from the all-consuming nature of sixth form. Plus, the money meant I could go out for a meal with my other friends and feel guilt-free, as well as feeling independent with self-respect. It's quite easy to balance work and A-Levels, in fact, it means you utilise your time much more efficiently when you do get it - something I learnt in the last few months of Year 13 when I eventually quit to do my exams. Working didn't compromise my grades at all...

Having done a science subject and three essay subjects, I promise you the essay subjects were MUCH more work than the science one. Like in maths and science, you get a worksheet of problems for homework which you just have to solve, whereas in essay subjects you'll have to get to grips with complex ideas, formulate your own stance on them, then cram them into a 1,000 word essay or something. Sciences might be 'more difficult' in some people's opinion but they're often not as time-consuming, which is your problem here.

Just be open-minded about potentially getting a job. I'm sorry that this sounds like a lecture, but I promise you it will be worth it. If you're reluctant, try applying to jobs you think you might enjoy first, rather than every single vacancy advertised. You're going to struggle to get a job when you really need one if you have literally no experience, even with job interviews. In a few years you'll probably cringe at the idea of living off your parents, I sure do now. Better to try and get a job now whilst there's lots of vacancies from uni students! Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by Hixxi
To be honest from what you've written here, you sound arrogant and that you are just looking for excuses because oh no, work sounds too hard and for the lower mortals since you're 'not some BTEC' student.

In which case I support your parents. Get a job.

I'm thinking about getting one then tbh but the jobs all seem boring like working in stock at next or something like that. Suggest a 16 yr old some good jobs also work isnt too hard like i said i volunteer for 8 hours weekly for free because I enjoy it. I'm not going to work somewhere I don't enjoy so you post has been deemed obsolete in some respects.
Original post by Shadoo
My parents want me to work while going college I say no please help. What should I say to get them off my back?[*]Also I attend college for 5 days will probably arrive at home by 6 pm enough time to eat then sleep and wake up at 6 then I have weekends left. I have plenty of work most likely for college that I need to do I'm doing maths chem bio physics not some Btecs.

Was that extra bit of snobbery really necessary? Before you accuse me of being one of these lesser mortals, I should point out that I also studied those same subjects at A-level. :tongue:
Reply 19
Original post by Shadoo
I don't get any money from them and any money I do need I earn myself through the internet. They only pay for my food once a while.

Okay. Answer defensively and completely ignore everything else I spent quite a while typing out to try and help you...

No, it's fine. Try and make those internet earnings last though, because you'll be needing them for a while if that's your attitude :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending