The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hi,@ProssieAliba where exaclty are you from?:smile:
It really depends on how you wanna travel, bus would probably be cheapest -prob (£20-£30) but it will be very complicated as you will have to change a lot of buses)

tube- I m not sure if you get a tube to Cambridge unless you go to London Maylebone to change to the national railways This would be around £50 as well

I would recommend taxi even though it may cost £50 it will comfortable and reliable As you have 46 kg as well, it is best to go by taxi
Original post by ProssieAliba
After a lot of thinking, I decided to land at Heathrow rather than Stan-stead as the latter has really bad reviews.

I have tried to read up on the different modes of transport than one can use from Heathrow into Cambridge but I am getting mixed reviews. I will obviously have about 46kgs worth of luggage and the most important aspect is convenience and efficiency.

Therefore, what would be the best way to get to Cambridge in the above circumstances? Tube, bus or cab? And what are the cost implications?

Stansted isn't that bad, i prefer it.
(edited 8 years ago)
A taxi would be on a. Meter in the UK and the heck of a lot more than £50, which would just about get you into London.

You can prebook private cars and they would be in the region of £100+
If you haven't booked your flight yet, ask the university if they have a meeting system as some will arrange a coach transfer so that they collect several students at once

There is a coach service

The journey (coach v stanstead) is 2 hrs 40 mins
After a lot of thinking, I decided to land at Heathrow rather than Stan-stead as the latter has really bad reviews.

I have tried to read up on the different modes of transport than one can use from Heathrow into Cambridge but I am getting mixed reviews. I will obviously have about 46kgs worth of luggage and the most important aspect is convenience and efficiency.

Therefore, what would be the best way to get to Cambridge in the above circumstances? Tube, bus or cab? And what are the cost implications?

Your best bet is to get a connecting flight to Stansted, where you can get a direct train connection to Cambridge in 25 minutes.

Alternately, you're looking at 2-3 hours on the tube and then train from kings cross, will probably set you back £40, or drop £200 for a cab.

You could get a bus, but it would take you all day as it winds slowly around the M25.
To be honest, given that you had the choice of landing at an airport that is right next to Cambridge vs landing at an airport that is 100 miles away on the wrong side of London, and you chose the latter because of some comments on trip advisor, I'd say you'd made a truly terrible decision.
LOO
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello,
I havent booked my air ticket yet (will do so in about 2 days' time) although I wanted to land at Heathrow because I seem to see only horrible reviews of Stanstead which makes me wonder why everyone seems to have bad reviews about this airport.

Sure, Stansted might not be as nice of an airport as Heathrow, but Heathrow is roughly 80 miles from Cambridge while Stansted is 30. FLY TO STANSTED. Your journey to the uni will be shorter and cheaper. So why wouldn't you?
Hello,
I havent booked my air ticket yet (will do so in about 2 days' time) although I wanted to land at Heathrow because I seem to see only horrible reviews of Stanstead which makes me wonder why everyone seems to have bad reviews about this airport.

Flying to Heathrow is mad! Fly to Stansted and then it's easy.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/airports/stansted-airport.aspx
Reply 9
Try Uber
Reply 10
Stansted isn't bad at all. I don't understand what can people not like about it, it's just an airport. If you don't like your local bus stop you don't walk somewhere 4 times further to catch the bus.
I would definitely go for Stansted, you'll make your day much easier.
Your not going to be living at Stansted, so why not pick the closest airport. smh
Hello,

Go to Stansted. It's not a bad airport at all, never had any bad experiences.

You're correct that Stansted is an absolutely awful airport, but I still think it's worth it in your case because of its location. It is going to be such a hassle for you to get to Cambridge from somewhere like Heathrow whereas getting there from Stansted is fairly straightforward.
LOL, I am very straight.
Are you male?
Can't understand for a second why you'd pick Heathrow over Stansted in this instance, unless you really like airports.

There's a frequent and cheap train up to Cambridge which takes about half an hour. So much easier.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
I seem to see only horrible reviews of Stanstead which makes me wonder why everyone seems to have bad reviews about this airport.

What reviews are these? Can you give us links? They sound misleading.

Stanstead is a smaller airport, meaning that it has slightly less flash facilities and fewer shopping/food outlets. Otherwise, it's less hectic, less congested and much closer to Cambridge with direct links. Heathrow is none of those things - I don't know of a decent reason why anyone choose it over Stanstead if travelling to Cambridge.
Original post by Klix88
What reviews are these? Can you give us links? They sound misleading.

Stanstead is a smaller airport, meaning that it has slightly less flash facilities and fewer shopping/food outlets. Otherwise, it's less hectic, less congested and much closer to Cambridge with direct links. Heathrow is none of those things - I don't know of a decent reason why anyone choose it over Stanstead if travelling to Cambridge.

Stansted is way more hectic than Heathrow! Stansted is ridiculously understaffed, there are mad queues to get anywhere. I've used it four times in the past few months and every single time, there weren't anywhere near enough people at security or passport control which resulted in queues that looked more like festival crowds. When I was returning from Germany a week ago, the queue to passport control went all the way back into the corridors leading from the airplane. They've also recently changed the entire layout so you need to go through a maze of shops to get to your gate. Heathrow might be busier than Stansted but at least they have the staff and management to deal with it.
Reply 19
Original post by daryZ
Stansted isn't bad at all. I don't understand what can people not like about it, it's just an airport. If you don't like your local bus stop you don't walk somewhere 4 times further to catch the bus.
I would definitely go for Stansted, you'll make your day much easier.

There's a bit more class to flying into Heathrow than Stansted.

But on a serious note, the stansted express is a ripoff and has a near monopoly on the train route to London. Heathrow on the piccadily line is very cost effective.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest