The Student Room Group

Reapplying to uni after dropping out help

I've finished my first year of Economics at uni but have realised that I hate it and would much rather do International Relations.
My problem is that I would have to drop out before the second year starts and reapply but I I don't who I would get a reference from (my uni or sixth form tutors) and I'm worried that my not very good first year grades (2:2 overall) will stop me from getting a place.
Has anyone else been in my position and if you so can you tell me what you did when reapplying? Also how did you explain dropping out to the unis you were applying to?
If it helps my A-Level grades are: A* in Maths and B's in Physics and Chemistry plus an A in an EPQ on US History and I'm planning on applying to Sheffield, Manchester, Nottingham, Birmingham and maybe QMUL or Leicester. I realise these are quite competitive unis which is why I'm worried I wont get in.
Where did you go for Economics?
id say speak to the admissions people at those unis (explain that international relations has always been ur interest etc etc) but do it anonymously. You would be surprised how many people do 1 degree and switch courses partway through
Reply 3
I went QMUL.
Reply 4
Original post by quasa
id say speak to the admissions people at those unis (explain that international relations has always been ur interest etc etc) but do it anonymously. You would be surprised how many people do 1 degree and switch courses partway through

Thanks for the advice but why anonymously?
Original post by AZ045
Thanks for the advice but why anonymously?

in case they may keep notes on the matter. if u do it anonymously and probe for answers, they wont know its you and it wont look bad for you when you send your application

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending