The Student Room Group

School Bus Passes

Hey, this is just a quick question for people with bus passes like myself.

So far for the past 5 years I've had to pay £500 a year for a 25 minute journey to school and back every day, however, when I go into the Sixth form, it's gonna double to over £1000. Obviously not everyone is in the predicament to be able to afford this, yet I see other schools have passes for like £200 annually to places even further than my school....is there anyway to find out why my school isn't subsidised so much aswell?

Many thanks.
Usually its because the school you go to isn't the closest one to you.
Reply 2
Mine is £75 per term straight from the travel company, no school involved. However mine is transport all within one county/area zone whatever, if you happen to live in a different area zone to your school, determined by the travel company then that is why it might be so high. £1000 is a lot though.
Reply 3
Wow...not sure if its just cause my islands small, but all our schools get free travel and it covers pretty much the entire island, we also get transport cards for half price fares not during school hours :frown:
1000 quid seems a little hefty for a bus though :frown:
mines a free bus pass

available to use within like a 30 mile radius

and can be used 7am-7pm

AND used on sat/sun makes fares half price :wink:

just to be a complete show off.

that's rediculous though for a bus pass, can you use public transport? maybe walk some of the way? get a bike?
That's a bit steep! Mine's £90 a term for a Zone 3 pass which basically covers the whole city. I get a £45 travel grant from my college though because I live quite far away. Only slightly annoying thing is if I lived over the road I'd be classed as out of Portsmouth & get a £100 travel grants, the bus pass I'd need is £102 so I'd only have to pay £2 a term....

If your bus pass is costing so much a year why not just buy daily/weekly bus tickets? It'll work out a hell of a lot cheaper...
Reply 6
Thats really expensive :/ Living in a london borough and being in full time education i know get free travel, but previously i could get a bus pass for £15.40 a week, are you sure you cant get it for cheaper :s:
Reply 7
Is this public transport?
If it is for public transport, you can get those Metro student passes that allow you to travel as a child.
Reply 8
I'll investigate...I think buying a return ticket everyday costs nearly about £5 on normal service buses....so thats going on for £25 a week I guess :frown: I'll ask more at school too.
Isnt travel for under 18's on buses free now?
Reply 10
Free travel on an Oyster Card :biggrin:
Reply 11
Thats very expensive :hmmmm: ...some annual London travel cards are cheaper than that...and that covers trains, buses, trams and DLR. Is there a discount for 16+ students?
£25 a week would probably work out cheaper than the bus pass still, you're in school what, forty weeks a year? That's the same amount the bus pass'd be and you might save a bit with inset days and stuff. But it shouldn't be that expensive, you can get a day ticket for the whole of Hampshire for £4.70 & our bus service is one of the most expensive in the country so I'm sure a return wouldn't be more than £3/4 a day anyway.
Can't you get a weekly ticket?
Reply 13
Yeah i get mine for free as i live just over 3 miles away from my college and can use it from 7am-7pm weekdays only.
i think it would be worth asking your tutor whether you would be entitled to this aswell as you seem to paying ALOT for your travel :eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending