The Student Room Group

SFE cock-up; finance reduced by £3,200

AAarrgghh! Help! My partner and I are both due to be starting our studies this year. We had applied to SFE and advised what we would be entitled to as we have a child. We got an email a few weeks ago to advised we had been awarded finance. When I logged into my account I noticed the award wasn't as much as my partners, due to me not being awarded Special Support grant and parents learning allowance.
I queried this with SFE on 28 Aug and stated that I thought both students were awarded this. They told me that I was correct and they had made a mistake on both grants and that they would update the system and not to worry.
Its been 2 weeks since I called and nothing changed online. I have just called them and been told that I was mis-informed and in fact I am not entitled to either grant as my partners income was to much in 2013/14 (it was £14,388). I asked what the thresholds were but she didn't know. I was told to appeal and complain, which I have just done, but it leaves us with a problem.
We cannot afford to both study with our finances reduced by £3,200 this year. We had budgeted everything for the entire year but cannot afford such a shortfall. My partner has this week finished his job. If we have been told 2 weeks ago that we were going to have reduced finances he could have retracted his resignation, but its too late now- if he doesn't study, he will be unemployed :frown:
I'm horrified what we will do now. Any advice? Are SFE likely to reverse their decision given their incompetance and how we have been treated? Are there any other avenues I can go down to maybe find additional funding in some way to maybe help. My partner is due to enrol on tuesday, I don't enrol until 27. I don't know what we should do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending