The Student Room Group

Taught Masters application form: Funding section help

I'm applying to Cambridge, and I've written my answers to the initial questions in the form. Now in the funding section, I need write my Cambridge Trust scholarship personal statement, but I don't know what I am supposed to write. Do I repeat what I've already said earlier about my academic achievements? Because I'm not rich, so I cannot afford the course, but financially there's not much more to say! Especially confused since they give a lot of space for this personal statement, more than any other question.

I also need to specify what funds I have raised towards financing the course. Again I don't know what I am supposed to put. I hope to earn some money this year through tutoring so do I guess how much I think I can raise? (I will be looking into Charities/the new government loan scheme etc but I haven't got anything definite yet) Plus my parents said they will help, but to what extent it entirely dependent on whether I get a scholarship! They said they would remortgage the house if necessary but I can't stick that in the form! Which is better news for your chances of getting a scholarship, having raised nothing, or having raised a bit? Very confused...

Thanks for any help.
(edited 8 years ago)
The website should give you an idea of what they're looking for in their scholars. You pretty much need to sell yourself and explain why you want to do the course and what the scholarship will mean to you. In terms of other funds, say that you plan to work and what you hope to earn and that you plan to apply for other loans and put a conservative upper limit on what your parents may give you. They want to see that you want the course badly enough to look for other funding and how much they need to give you so they can work out how much they can afford to give other people.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
The website should give you an idea of what they're looking for in their scholars. You pretty much need to sell yourself and explain why you want to do the course and what the scholarship will mean to you. In terms of other funds, say that you plan to work and what you hope to earn and that you plan to apply for other loans and put a conservative upper limit on what your parents may give you. They want to see that you want the course badly enough to look for other funding and how much they need to give you so they can work out how much they can afford to give other people.

Thanks for the reply! So should I talk about the other sources of funding that I'm looking into in the personal statement, or just in the later section that asks for specific figures?

Also does the amount of money you have raised affect your chances of getting an offer? I mean what if they couldn't give me a scholarship worth the amount needed to meet the minimum financial requirement? would they just reject me, or would they give me a scholarship of a lower amount, despite it not getting me up to minimum?

Thanks again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Specific figures and what additional sources you've applied to should go in the specific section and not the PS. I don't think the offer will be affected by the financial siltation because finances can change quickly and even after you start. You will or won't be given an offer based on your academic application which will be assessed by the academic tutors for the course.
You need to demonstrate to them how you have met their criteria.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending