The Student Room Group

Which Course?

Hi,

I'm hoping to go to UCLAN next September to study either Mental Health Nursing or ODP. Ive done a lot of reasearch and sat on the subject talks and im still not sure what to do.

At the end of my current course i get a guaranteed interview for nursing, i already work on a mental inpatient unit and everything has always been geared towards nursing for me however it will also be dependant on me achieving my maths gcse this year (which im doing) as they no longer accept functional skills so its a big risk.

ODP still accept functional skills so that wouldnt be a worry and its more practical based which suits me and not as competitive. Id really have liked to put down both maybe with nursing as my first choice and odp second but then i might scarper the chance of both then if my statement isnt personalised and as im applying to the same uni for both theyll see that and not think im dedicated. I just dont know what to do.
Original post by Suziebear85
Hi,

I'm hoping to go to UCLAN next September to study either Mental Health Nursing or ODP. Ive done a lot of reasearch and sat on the subject talks and im still not sure what to do.

At the end of my current course i get a guaranteed interview for nursing, i already work on a mental inpatient unit and everything has always been geared towards nursing for me however it will also be dependant on me achieving my maths gcse this year (which im doing) as they no longer accept functional skills so its a big risk.

ODP still accept functional skills so that wouldnt be a worry and its more practical based which suits me and not as competitive. Id really have liked to put down both maybe with nursing as my first choice and odp second but then i might scarper the chance of both then if my statement isnt personalised and as im applying to the same uni for both theyll see that and not think im dedicated. I just dont know what to do.

I really wouldnt put down both, especially as they are both so different (you would as you say be quite likely to scarper the chance if you apply for both, especially as Uclan would know you'd applied to both). I guess it all comes down to do you want to work in a surgical environment or do you want to work in a mental health environment really.

Quick Reply

Latest