The Student Room Group

Is the pay for the armed forces poor?

I've been doing some reading online, but I'm not sure how accurate this is. Apparently, it takes 12 years on average to get to the Sergeant rank, at which point your salary is 32k. So if I join at 20, I won't be earning 30K+ until my early 30's. It seem like a graduate get's this pay within a few years of finishing a degree (or maybe I'm very wrong). I'm talking about regular non officer roles by the way. I expected to be on about 30k within 5/6 years tbh. So what are the realistic expectations in terms of salary, If I join as a regular at the age of 20, where can I expect to be by the age of 25/6 in terms of salary? Also, please don't link me the pay scales from the RAF/Army websites, I've seen them but I don't understand the ranks nor how long it takes to get to that position.

Thanks (forgive me for any ignorance..)
Firstly, if you are thinking about the Armed Forces in terms of money, you probably wouldn't like it. It's far more about a lifestyle choice than a wage packet.
Secondly. To join enlisted and work your way up through the ranks is not the standard entry point for a graduate. That means you are comparing apples and oranges. Look at Officer entry if you want to see the standard graduate entry to the military.
Thirdly. Never ever judge a job by the pay in 5 years. Tradesmen earn more than graduates for the first few years. The difference is the graduate has more potential for higher pay in later years.
Finally. Look at what else a life in the military gives beyond work. Relatively cheap accommodation and food, subsidized sports and adventure training, your own doctors and dentists, you get paid to get fit, subsidized study courses etc etc.

It's always more than the 'pay' figure you see.
Reply 2
Original post by ProStacker
Firstly, if you are thinking about the Armed Forces in terms of money, you probably wouldn't like it. It's far more about a lifestyle choice than a wage packet.
Secondly. To join enlisted and work your way up through the ranks is not the standard entry point for a graduate. That means you are comparing apples and oranges. Look at Officer entry if you want to see the standard graduate entry to the military.
Thirdly. Never ever judge a job by the pay in 5 years. Tradesmen earn more than graduates for the first few years. The difference is the graduate has more potential for higher pay in later years.
Finally. Look at what else a life in the military gives beyond work. Relatively cheap accommodation and food, subsidized sports and adventure training, your own doctors and dentists, you get paid to get fit, subsidized study courses etc etc.

It's always more than the 'pay' figure you see.

I'm definitely not in it for the money! I was just concerned, that'all. Just seemed relatively low compared to normal jobs. Thank you for the reply!
Reply 3
Original post by Zuki
I'm definitely not in it for the money! I was just concerned, that'all. Just seemed relatively low compared to normal jobs. Thank you for the reply!

The average national salary is £26500, it's relatively good money if you're earning that in 5 years.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Zuki

Armed forces pay is rather complex. The basic salary is not much, but depending on postings, there is a range of various allowances and supplements which can add up to a serious boost.
Also, your expenses can vary from zero to still relatively low.
For example if you're in barracks your accommodation and food can be very cheap. If you're on tour, your expenses are zero and you receive allowances which can add many thousands to your pay, so that when you come back you feel relatively wealthy.
Added to which you'll "retire" very early and receive a better pension than most people, and quite deservedly so too.

Despite our tendency to poke fun at it, the Army provides some excellent training, skills, experience and education and turns many people into outstanding individuals.
Don't decide on the basis of money. If you want to join do. You'll probably discover a lot of things more important than money.
When I was at school all the people who got bad grades especially the ones from the council estates chose the army as a career, I even remember the Army gong around local job fairs talking about their good wages.

Anyway of the ones I knew who joined all dropped out as they did not enjoy the work, some lasted about 8 years some 4 years so it wasnt multiple years but all did eventually drop out.
Reply 6
Original post by Matt06
The average national salary is £26500, it's relatively good money if you're earning 32k in 5 years.

Original post by T.L
Armed forces pay is rather complex. The basic salary is not much, but depending on postings, there is a range of various allowances and supplements which can add up to a serious boost.
Also, your expenses can vary from zero to still relatively low.
For example if you're in barracks your accommodation and food can be very cheap. If you're on tour, your expenses are zero and you receive allowances which can add many thousands to your pay, so that when you come back you feel relatively wealthy.
Added to which you'll "retire" very early and receive a better pension than most people, and quite deservedly so too.

Despite our tendency to poke fun at it, the Army provides some excellent training, skills, experience and education and turns many people into outstanding individuals.
Don't decide on the basis of money. If you want to join do. You'll probably discover a lot of things more important than money.

Thank you for the reply!
Reply 7
Original post by Zuki
Thank you for the reply!

Hope it helps 😄
Reply 8
When I was going through IOT one of the instructors mentioned something during a class.
A mid range F/Lt might 'only' be on around £35k, but with all the added benefits they get from being in the RAF, if they wanted to maintain a similar standard of living in civilian street they'd need a salary of around £50k.
Original post by Zuki
I've been doing some reading online, but I'm not sure how accurate this is. Apparently, it takes 12 years on average to get to the Sergeant rank, at which point your salary is 32k. So if I join at 20, I won't be earning 30K+ until my early 30's. It seem like a graduate get's this pay within a few years of finishing a degree (or maybe I'm very wrong). I'm talking about regular non officer roles by the way. I expected to be on about 30k within 5/6 years tbh. So what are the realistic expectations in terms of salary, If I join as a regular at the age of 20, where can I expect to be by the age of 25/6 in terms of salary? Also, please don't link me the pay scales from the RAF/Army websites, I've seen them but I don't understand the ranks nor how long it takes to get to that position.

Thanks (forgive me for any ignorance..)

The guys that join up on 20k might not be much money initially, but most pay £50 a month for their room and £120 a month for food. Leaves them a lot of spare money. A graduate may be on 30k but paying £1000 a month on rent, let alone bills, food etc.

Quick Reply

Latest