The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know the benefits of acca accelerate and why lots of the top Unis don't offer it whereas some lower ones like Derby do??
Original post by Kawserinho
Got BBB at AS, Predicted AAB.

Applying to A&F at Kent, Queen Mary, Essex, Middlesex and Kingston.

did you get accepted to all ?
Original post by alexp98
Does anyone know the benefits of acca accelerate and why lots of the top Unis don't offer it whereas some lower ones like Derby do??

Because everyone wants to do ACA not ACCA
Original post by Make39kButNoHoes
Because everyone wants to do ACA not ACCA

Ah ok thanks, what's the best way of going about aca then? I'm just about to start an accounting and finance degree course but am slightly confused about what actually happens after the degree?
Original post by alexp98
Ah ok thanks, what's the best way of going about aca then? I'm just about to start an accounting and finance degree course but am slightly confused about what actually happens after the degree?

Okay so people tend to do Accounting & Finance because if you get above 2:2 in every module (I think anyway) you can get up to 8 exam exemptions on the ACA qualification out of the 15 exams.

Usually you'll try get an accounting graduate scheme that offers to support and pay for the ACA while you also work and it takes 3 years to get qualified (some companies will make you sit all 15 exams even if you are allowed exemptions btw).

ACA is the most prestigious profressional qualification when it comes to accounting, it basically allows you to do everything but more importantly external auditting while ACCA lets you do internal auditting.
Okay so people tend to do Accounting & Finance because if you get above 2:2 in every module (I think anyway) you can get up to 8 exam exemptions on the ACA qualification out of the 15 exams.

Usually you'll try get an accounting graduate scheme that offers to support and pay for the ACA while you also work and it takes 3 years to get qualified (some companies will make you sit all 15 exams even if you are allowed exemptions btw).

ACA is the most prestigious profressional qualification when it comes to accounting, it basically allows you to do everything but more importantly external auditting while ACCA lets you do internal auditting.

Thank you mate this was very helpful, any advice on how to try and et one of these grad schemes though because they seem incredibly competitive. Also would I be at a major disadvantage with my a levels of CCC. It seems like accounting is one of the rare industries that employers seem to care about a levels more than experience which is worrying as I feel I may be wasting my time at uni if the A levels will limit me.
Original post by alexp98
Thank you mate this was very helpful, any advice on how to try and et one of these grad schemes though because they seem incredibly competitive. Also would I be at a major disadvantage with my a levels of CCC. It seems like accounting is one of the rare industries that employers seem to care about a levels more than experience which is worrying as I feel I may be wasting my time at uni if the A levels will limit me.

Yeh grad schemes are very hard to get on, you need to practise aptitude tests and a range of other crap which they require in the recruitment process. I'm gonna be honest, just about every grad scheme besides some of the big 4 require at the very least 280 ucas points.

I'm not in accounting so don't know quite how people who wish to get the professional qualifications go about it but I know there is a way (otherwise there'd be no qualified accountants with ucas levels below 280). You'll probably have to talk to your careers department about that one.
Yeh grad schemes are very hard to get on, you need to practise aptitude tests and a range of other crap which they require in the recruitment process. I'm gonna be honest, just about every grad scheme besides some of the big 4 require at the very least 280 ucas points.

I'm not in accounting so don't know quite how people who wish to get the professional qualifications go about it but I know there is a way (otherwise there'd be no qualified accountants with ucas levels below 280). You'll probably have to talk to your careers department about that one.

Thanks, yeah will do and I guess I could always do 1-2 of the fast track A level courses after I graduate too which would feel a lot easier too. Would this be an option or do employers not like this?
Thanks for all your help btw :smile:
Has any one applied to Lancaster for Accounting and finance
Original post by thestarter
I have offers from Bath, Warwick and Bristol now

what did you get at as ?
Original post by matt1234512
Mine was next day! Bath was 4 days, still haven't heard back from Durham, City and Loughborough though

What were your as grades ??
can i get an offer from bath with as grades :ABB ???
Original post by Emi800
I personally think they are both really good. Was thinking of insuring Kent too. Have you visited these unis? If you have, I think you should choose based on which you prefer most.

hey , i see you got an offer from bath, i also got abb at AS and thought it wan't possible for me to apply to bath. please what subjects did you offer and what tips can you give on writing/structuring my personal statement
Original post by yungggnike
hey , i see you got an offer from bath, i also got abb at AS and thought it wan't possible for me to apply to bath. please what subjects did you offer and what tips can you give on writing/structuring my personal statement

I'm not that guy but I can give you a little bit of help. If you actually achieved ABB at AS then it is possible for you to get an offer from Bath, *if* your predicted grades are AAA or higher (Including Maths). Bath should see that it is possible for you to bump up your Bs to grade A.

I wouldn't get too hung up on Bath though, there are tons of good Unis that actually will offer lower grades. Most of the Russell Group Unis I looked at wanted AAB in most cases, with some AAA or ABB.

I can't give you much PS advice, but I can help a little bit. Including some background reading of the subject helps ONLY if you actually say how it has benefited you. Don't include something just for the sake of it because you think it makes you look smart. Avoid cliches: "I've wanted to be an Accountant since I was 6 and I ran my first lemonade stand".
Any relevant work experience helps although for this course it is definitely NOT a requirement.

Just to reiterate, do not be too disappointed if you get a rejection from Bath, but with those AS grades getting an AAA prediction seems fairly straghtforward, so I'd say with a decent Personal Statement you would have a good chance of getting an offer from Bath.

I got ABCC at AS and had a prediction of AABB, and ended up getting AAB and getting into Exeter for accounting and finance.
Reply 354
Do you guys think I'll receive any offers if I only take maths, further maths and economics to a2? Considering some universities won't accept further maths as a 3rd a level for accounting and finance (eg lse).

I'm so stuck right now,I was planning to take biology to a2 and I ended up getting a b in biology and an a in further maths!!!
I want to do accounting and finance at a top university. However, I got a BBCE. A "B" in Economics, "B" in Politics. "C" in History and "E" in Maths. I had to drop Maths and I am now left with Economics, Politics and History. I want to do accounting and finance, without Maths can I still go into a top uni.
P.S: I want to know if this is enough to get into russell group unis such as Loughborough and Birmingham
Hi,
Have you guys ever heard about offers for AAB universities being brought down to ABB/AAB, if so could you let me know!
Which are the best but most lenient universities at the same time?
Original post by The_Phlox
I want to do accounting and finance at a top university. However, I got a BBCE. A "B" in Economics, "B" in Politics. "C" in History and "E" in Maths. I had to drop Maths and I am now left with Economics, Politics and History. I want to do accounting and finance, without Maths can I still go into a top uni.
P.S: I want to know if this is enough to get into russell group unis such as Loughborough and Birmingham

Yeh you can get into Birmingham as long as you have a B in GCSE Maths
Hi
I finished AS level and got AAAB in Maths, Economics, Sociology and English lit
I've dropped by B in English and was wondering if this will disadvantage me getting into any of these Uni's ---- Surrey,City,Warwick because of course sociology is not as respected as the rest so will this be an issue if I keep it over English ?
Original post by TaraMott
Hi
I finished AS level and got AAAB in Maths, Economics, Sociology and English lit
I've dropped by B in English and was wondering if this will disadvantage me getting into any of these Uni's ---- Surrey,City,Warwick because of course sociology is not as respected as the rest so will this be an issue if I keep it over English ?

You have two facilitating subjects (Maths and Economics) so I don't see why you wouldn't get in to those unis

Latest

Trending

Trending