The Student Room Group

£28k starting salary fresh out of uni

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redferry
But hes also a ranting lefty on the corbyn threads XD

Corbyn 2020. I am sorry that unemployed "man" is jealous of my success. One must put the work in.
But hes also a ranting lefty on the corbyn threads XD

That conservative are actually evil epiphany thread was also trolling us in a way :indiff:

Master troll :troll:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
He pretends to be some uber successful businessman and makes flippent comments on everything and stupid pretend rich man comments like you can't live off of 40k in london or about the coming revolution :rolleyes:

He trolls both conservatives and lefties on here. That "I'm sorry for voting conservative" thread was just the trolling the former (and I guess lefties in a way, he is master troll)

He's basically a wind up and is rather good at it it would seem :beard: I proper troll :ninja:

Well that's my two cents anyway.

I'm sorry we got off on the wrong foot. Are you open for a business partnership of some kind?
That conservative are actually evil epiphany thread was also trolling us in a way :indiff:

Master troll :troll:

I kindof twigged when he claimed he paid 40% tax but didn't understand the tax structure in any way :tongue:
Original post by Bill_Gates
Corbyn 2020. I am sorry that unemployed "man" is jealous of my success. One must put the work in.

Clearly not that successful given you only pay 40% :wink:
Clearly not that successful given you only pay 40% :wink:

Very true. But i'm not happy paying 40% rather stay in bed.
Very true. But i'm not happy paying 40% rather stay in bed.

Right...and your solution to this is Jezza.
I'm sorry we got off on the wrong foot. Are you open for a business partnership of some kind?

I kindof twigged when he claimed he paid 40% tax but didn't understand the tax structure in any way :tongue:

His cover has been blown :wink:

If there's one thing people who want to pay less tax know its how the tax system works :tongue:

If there's one thing people who want to pay less tax know its how the tax system works :tongue:

I laughed since of course i know how the tax system works. I've been paying taxes for 8 years now lol.

Nice trollin! Haters gona hate. Unemployed going to line up brah.
Reply 90
I laughed since of course i know how the tax system works. I've been paying taxes for 8 years now lol.

Nice trollin! Haters gona hate. Unemployed going to line up brah.

So how do peeps pay 40% tax when they are on £40k...?
Thats what you've confused us all with.
Unless we've misunderstood the tax system and you get it...
Original post by Quady
So how do peeps pay 40% tax when they are on £40k...?
Thats what you've confused us all with.
Unless we've misunderstood the tax system and you get it...

this will help you

https://www.gov.uk/income-tax-rates/current-rates-and-allowances
Reply 92

Yeah and thats telling me someone with a £40,000 annual salary is a basic rate (20%) taxpayer...
Not a 40% higher rate taxpayer...
Reply 93

Original post by Quady
Yeah and thats telling me someone with a £40,000 annual salary is a basic rate (20%) taxpayer...
Not a 40% higher rate taxpayer...

Exactly. Higher Rate kicks in at £31.8k over the £10.6k personal allowance = £42.4k. So £40k is still entirely in the 20% band.

Also useful: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tax-calculator/
(edited 8 years ago)

You do realise that it's not 40%... It's a staggered tax rate, meaning the effective tax of someone earning £40k is MUCH less than 40%. Seriously, even someone earning £70k isn't paying 40%.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Original post by Princepieman
You do realise that it's not 40%... It's a staggered tax rate, meaning the effective tax of someone earning £40k is MUCH less than 40%. Seriously, even someone earning £70k isn't paying 40%.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Someone on £40k doesN'T pay 40% on ANY of their income though, so thats pretty irrelavent.

For £70k yeah, and theres pension contribution relief to consider.
Reply 96

Well there is the added complication of National Insurance. So a gross of £70k pa gives a net take home of £48k. An effective tax rate of (70-48)/70 = 31% - not 40% but still more than 20%... :wink:
Original post by Quady
Someone on £40k doesN'T pay 40% on ANY of their income though, so thats pretty irrelavent.

For £70k yeah, and theres pension contribution relief to consider.

True, forgot about the tax free allowance.
Original post by jneill
Well there is the added complication of National Insurance. So a gross of £70k pa gives a net take home of £48k. An effective tax rate of (70-48)/70 = 31% - not 40% but still more than 20%... :wink:

Yep. Still not 40% hahaha, never said it was 20% :wink:
Reply 99
True, forgot about the tax free allowance.

Never, ever, forget about the tax free allowances :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending