The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
In the very unlikely event of getting AAA, I'll be doing English at Trev's :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Me too, if I get AAA (argh!) I'll be there for English Literature and History. x
I'll be doing English at Butler, exams providing. :smile:
Reply 4
Hello! I will hopefully be doing English at Van Mildert come October!
Reply 5
English Rocks :biggrin:
Reply 6
well we're all gona b in lectures 2getha! xxxxxxx
Reply 7
Wheeee! :p:

I can't wait to go, I went to see Andrew Motion at the Arc the other day, and the interview was being conducted by a Durham English prof! He seemed cool so I'm really looking forward to English at Durham!
Reply 8
Do you know what his name was?
Reply 9
It was Professor Michael O'Neill - big on Shelley and Romanticism I believe.
Reply 10
He is awesome! There was an article about him in Palatinate the other day because he is so good. He recently left for a year's sabbatical for research purposes, I believe, but he came back to do an extra lecture and everyone cheered and clapped him when he came in.

On the other hand, my absolute favourite lecturer is Dr James. Anyone going to open day for English will probably hear his talk on Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde - I've been to 2 open days and he did it both times. I love Dr James. I was looking on the "Academic Staff" bit of the English dept webpage the other day and he is the only person with a photo of himself on his profile! Awww.
Reply 11
my application has been received by a college.
a decision has not yet been made. Visit UCAS.com etc

so, i have a place i think!(??????) Just depends what college. Collingwood is my choice.
I really wanted to come up fpr the open day, but too late now i think.. All the people going at my school left yesterday.
Reply 12
Any English people go to the open day? We didn't have a mini-lecture from Dr James I don't think - we had O'Neill do one on Shakespeare soliloquys and another guy (can't remember his name!) do a talk on finding truth in literature, using Beowulf as an example. Twas good. I want to go now!
I really loved the department, while I've been feeling a little inconclusive about Durham since the open day the course really has swayed it for me. The lectures were good too, though the guy leading our seminar seemed a little uninterested.
Still, it is pretty much the best (for my tastes at least) English course I've seen anywhere. Plus, did anyone else see the thing in the purple leaflet about the 2nd year exchange in Iceland? I know they only have two places but I'd absolutely love to do that, I really want to do old English and old Norse.
So yes. Now I have to get AAA and be one of the lucky two people who gets to do that. That's me sorted :smile:
Reply 14
Being an international, I couldn't go to the open day.. :frown: Did they give out a reading list?
Reply 15
Yeah, kind of. They gave us a booklet of module options and there was recommended and suggested reading on it. I quite fancied the Classical and Biblical background to English lit until it recommended 'Students should structure a good plan over the summer to work through the Bible'!!! It then suggested certain books of the Bible, but my god, it seemed quite a lot. The masochist in me is telling me to do that module though. :p:

What other modules did people like the look of?
Reply 16
Ooooh I missed the open thang. Reckon we could get one of those booklets? Maybe if I wrote in and asked very nicely? x
Reply 17
Maybe email the department and ask them to send you one?

I was wondering what people are going to do in regards to reading - are you going to get the books now and read them over summer? Because what if we don't get in?! I suppose we can look on it as random preparation anyway but...
Reply 18
It's good overall preparation. If you do want to be prepared, then do read some of them.

Latest